Search for content in message boards

Servicemen's names & Medals Awarded to them as listed in WW II magazine Field Artillery Journal JULY 1944

Servicemen's names & Medals Awarded to them as listed in WW II magazine Field Artillery Journal JULY 1944

Posted: 7 Jul 2004 10:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Sep 2006 8:23PM GMT
In the process of cleaning out my parents' home, I have just come upon a year's worth of "Field Artillery Journal" from Nov 1943 to Jan 1945.

There is a section called "For Heroism and Service" which lists the award, serviceman's name, rank and serial number. Some issues also give a short bio of the person's actions which lead to the award. Some also include the person's address in the States as well. Some issues also include a list of servicemen killed, the date of death and where the death occurred.

I will be posting this information from these magazines for fellow researchers.

I won't be keeping the magazines since I will be donating them to a museum. I will be making a copy of the cover, title page and the "For Heroism" pages so you will be able to obtain a copy of the pages if wish to have them for your files. I also hope to be able to find the time to post a reference to this post on the various surrname pages, when they exist, and state pages, when the home state is given, if time and energy permit.

This post is information from the nineth magazine in the group, the July 1944 issue.

In this issue, in addition to listing the award, name & rank; some entries list the serviceman's home address. But none of the entries give the men's serial numbers.

Each entry also has a bio describing the person's actions that lead to the award but in order to get as many of these entries on line as possible, I won't transcribe them here. If the serviceman is one of your family, please contact me for a copy of the entry in full. I won't be keeping the magazines since I will be donating them to a museum. I will be making a copy of the cover, title page and the "For Heroism and Service" pages so you will be able to obtain a copy of the pages if wish to have them for your files. I also hope to be able to find the time to post a reference to this post on the various surname pages, when they exist, and state pages, when the home state is given, if time and energy permit.

JULY 1944 ISSUE:

CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR [POSTHUMOUSLY]

Pvt. Robert D. BOOKER, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity... the Distinguished Service Cross and Purple Heart having been previously awarded him...RR 2, Callaway, NE

DISTINGUISHED SERVICE CROSS [POSTHUMOUSLY]

Pvt. Richard FERRIS, for responding to a call for a volunteer cannoneer...310 Morris St, NY, NY

DISTINGUISHED SERVICE CROSS

Pvt. Stanley L. GINISH, for volunteering to enter enemy territory...201 Front St, Pawtucket, RI

LEGION OF MERIT

Col. John P. CHEHAN, ...as excutive officer and deputy commander...Coalgate, OK
Brig. Gen. Charles R. DORAN, ...As Commanding Officer, School Troops, Field Artillery School, Ft. Sill, OK...1021 Johnson St, Lafayette, LA
Sgt. Lionel R. FOURNIER, for services....72 Oak St, Saratoga, CA
Col. Maylon E. SCOTT, ...as Assistant Chief of Staff, G-4, Western Defense Command and Fourth Army...3325 N.W. Franklin St, Portland, OR
T/5 Wilbur C. SIMPSON, ...faced with unusual difficulties due to the constant change of headquarters....810 Rutledge Ave, Charleston, SC

SILVER STAR

Capt. Roy L. ATTEBERRY, ...as reprensentative of the Division G-3....Box 885, Monterey, CA
Pvt. 1st Class Lloyd H. GARDNER, for plunging into a storm-swept sea at Kwajalein Atoll to rescue two soldiers...Ponca City, OK
Capt. John O. GIVENS, for gallantry in action...2012 N.W. 20th St, Oklahoma City, OK
Capt. Perry H. GRAVES, ...without regard for his personal safety, occupied this post until he was wounded...408 S. Franklin St, Robinson, IL
Cpl. Ralph E. HAMEL, for gallantry in action...RFD 1, Bostwick, NE
Lt. Donald W. SCHROEDER, for gallantry in action...109 McGraw St, Seattle, WA
Pvt. 1st Class Benjamin TESTONI, for gallantry in action...Booth St, Thompsonville, CT
Lt.Edward C. WALTER, for gallantry in action...1212 E. 4th St, Muscatine, IA
S/Sgt. henry J. WAWRZASZEK, for gallantry in action...102 Barberry St, Rochester, NY
Lt. Eugene J. WEINBERGER, ...as an artillery forward observer...without regard for his personal safety...7943 Blackborn Ave, Los Angeles, CA
Cpl. Billy L. WILLIAMS, for gallantry in action...Tallassee, AL
T/4 Thomas Lee WILSON, ...flames enveloped an elisted man..Wilson at the risk of his own life...smothered the flames...3165 Monroe St, Chicago, IL
Pvt. Kenneth WISE,for gallantry in action...970 Sheffield St, Washington, PA

SOLDIER'S MEDAL

S/Sgt. Wladyslaw DUDEK, for heroism...57 Withworth St, Thompsonville, CT
Pvt. Robert E. HEATON, for heroism...99A Spencer St, Boston, MA
Pvt. Merrill JOHNSON, for heroism...Norton, NC
Pvt. 1st. Class Raymond J. KLINE, ...he rushed into the flames with utter diregard for his own personal safety...115 S 27th St, Billings, MT
S/Sgt. Joseph J. KUSCH, for heroism...5829 W. Dixon St, Milwaukee, WI
Pvt. Kenneth TATE, for heroism...Webster, PA

ROLL OF HONOR

Lt. Jerome H. ASH, killed in action in North Africa, 17 Oct 43
Lt. Irvin N. BORMANN, died in North Africa area, 1 Feb 44
Lt. William F. CAREY, died in European area, 22 Apr 44
W.O. Willis COLLINS, struck by lightening at Leesville, LA 21 Apr 44
Lt. Henry L. ESPENSEN, killed in action in North Africa, 11 Jul 43
Capt. Ed R. HALBACH, killed northwest of Mustang Field, El Reno, OK
Lt. Col. Walter H. HINSCH, died at Camp Shelby, MS, 15 Nov 43
Lt. Col. John MCPHEETERS, killed in action in North Africa, 25 Mar 44
Lt. Lambert C. ROOT, killed in an air crash in European area, 24 Feb 44
Lt. Robert G. SHELTON, died at Camp Maxey, TX, 17 Dec 43
Capt. Howard A. SMITH, JR., killed in action in Italy, 1 Nov 43
Lt. Maurice K TOPSON, died in motor vehicle accident in European area, 14 Dec 43
Pvt. James C. WADDELL, killed in action in Italy, 22 Jan 44
Lt. Col. Henry C. WALKER, died in European area, 24 Feb 44
Lt. Russell W. WALER, died in Southwest Pacific area, 25 Dec 43
Capt. Raymond W. WASHAM, killed in action in North Africa, 6 Nov 43
Lt. William J. WEAKLAND, JR., died at Camp Gordon, GA, 7 Dec 43
Lt. Joseph R. ZAGATA, killed in action in North Africa, 10 Jul 43
Cpl. Henry ZAKRZEWSKI, died at Camp Shelbu, MS 27 Jan 44

Re: Servicemen's names & Medals Awarded to them as listed in WW II magazine Field Artillery Journal JULY 1944

casey Espensen (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2005 3:50AM GMT
I am working on a school family history project and I was wondering if you could send me the article for Lt. Henry L. ESPENSEN, killed in action in North Africa, 11 Jul 43. It would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks so much,
Casey Espensen

Re: Servicemen's names & Medals Awarded to them as listed in WW II magazine Field Artillery Journal JULY 1944

Linda Peloquin (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2005 7:32PM GMT
Surnames: ESPENSEN
Casey, Not a problem. Just click on my name for my email addy and send me your snail mail so I can a get copy to you.

Linda

Posted: 12 Jan 2006 12:53AM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2006 8:23PM GMT
Just cleaning out all the emails in my box and I noticed that you had wanted a copy of this.

I replied here but I never received your snail mail to mail a copy to you. I can't scan and send it as a file since the magazine is bigger than the bed on the all-in-one, so it would have to be a photocopy.

Do you still want it? BTW - this seems to be in a lot of curriculums, my kids also had a similar assignment a couple of years ago.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic