James Theopholus Lewis - md. 1st wife in 1768, Ms. ? Griffon / Griffin b. 1732VA – d. Nov. 1775 Ashe Co., NC. Her complete surname identity has never been discovered.
1. ELVIRA LEWIS b. 1770 Ashe Co, NC- d. 1833 Big Stone Gap, Wise Co., VA md. in 1794 - WILLIAM Shepherd Sr. b. 1770 Halifax, NC – d. 1858 VA
2. JAMES T LEWIS II – B. 1771 Ashe Co., NC – d. 1865 Perry Co., Krypton, KY md. in 1793 – Sarah Sally COUCH b. 1773 Ashe Co., NC d/o Mary Polly Boone & John Couch 1759PA (Rev. War Vet)
3. Gideon Lewis, b. 1772 Ashe Co., NC on Bolton’s Forge – died 28 Nov. 1799, NC -unmarried – no descents.
James Theopholus Lewis - md. 2nd wife in 1776 Ashe Co., NC, his neighbors daughter,WINEDERY 'Winnie' HENSON b. 1764 Ashe Co., NC d/o Paul Henson.
JAMES T & WINEDERY both died in year 1825, at Cutshin Creek, Cutshin KY.
1st GENERATION continued:
= = =
4. PATSY LEWIS, b. 1777 Ashe Co, NC on Holston, died 1827 Hendricks Co., Indiana md. 1797 NC, WILLIAM STRONG & they had one child 'NED' in 1797 then Divorced.
PATSY LEWIS, in 1798, md. 2nd and his 2nd, ABEL PENNINGTON Sr. b. 1774 South Carolina & he died 1842 as Widower, Hendricks Co., Indiana, as he and PATSY LEWIS PENNINGTON have 7 children, of which 5 born NC & 2 are born KY
5. ANDREW LEWIS , b. 1778 Ashe Co., NC – died young man 1802, Ashe Co., NC No marriage – No issue
6. MARGARET 'Peggy' LEWIS b. 1780 Ashe Co., NC – Died 'widow'1851 Perry Co., KY md. in 1817 KY , ABRAHAM PENNINGTON, b. 1768 South Carolina – died year 1840 KY.
7. JOHN LEWIS b. 1782 Ashe Co, NC on New River lands – Died 1878 West Liberty, Elliott Co., KY, md. In 1813 Perry Co., KY, RACHEL HENSON, b. 1873NC – Died 1863 Morgan Co.,KY. JOHN & RACHEL lived early years to 1820 Perry Co., KY. 6 children.
8. NATHAN LEWIS, b. 1783 Ashe Co., NC – Died 1860 Carter Co., KY, md. 1820 KY, JULIA (Judy) STIDHAM b. 1883 NC – Died 'Widow' 1863 Carter Co., KY
9. JOSEPH LEWIS, b. 1784 Ashe Co., NC on New River lands – Died 'widower'1880 Hyden, KY, Leslie County, KY. md. 1811 Clay Co., KY, SARAH (Sally) WOOTON, b. 1792 South Carolina –Died 1870 Perry Co., presently Leslie Co., KY - 10 children all born KY.
10. THADDEAOUS (Thad) LEWIS, b. 1785 Ashe Co., NC on New River lands, Died 1865 Leslie Co., KY, md. In 1810 Clay Co., KY, MARY (Polly) ROARK b. 1785 VA – Died 1861 LESLIE CO., KY. 5 children & 1 Adopted, Total 6 children.
11. BETSY 'Phoebe' LEWIS, b. 1793 Ashe Co., NC on New River lands – md. 1810 KY, SILAS DAVIDSON b. 1794 North Carolina –Died 1879 IOWA
12. SAMUEL LEWIS (1), b. 1794 Ashe Co., NC on New River lands – md. 1ST wife, 1813,her age 14, NANCY TEMPLETON b. 1798 NC, had one (1)child & they Divorced.
SAMUEL LEWIS (1), md. 2nd wife 1819 Clay Co., KY, KEZIAH (cuzza) McDANIEL, b. 1798 VA. SAMUEL I & KEZIAH, both died year 1859, Cutshin, KY. 14 Children
13. ISAAC LEWIS, b. 1795 Ashe Co., NC on New River lands – Died 1874 Cutshin, KY,md. REBECCAH PHOEBE COUCH b. 1806 Ashe Co., NC – died 'Widow' 1889 Leslie Co., KY. 12 children.
14. MARY (Polly) LEWIS, b. 1796 Ashe Co., NC on New River lands - died 'Widow' 1866 Missouri. md. 1811 Clay Co., KY, JAMES HENSON, b. 1792 Ashe Co., NC, died in Year 1865, Missouri
15. WINETERY 'Winnie' LEWIS, b. 1797 Ashe Co., NC on New River lands – Died a 'Widow' 1876 Clay Co., KY now Leslie Co., KY at Bowlington. 2 CHILDREN. md. in 1827, JESSE BOWLING, Jr., b. 1797 Lee Co., VA (s/o Rev. Jesse Bowling &
Mary Pennington) – Died 1870, Bowlington, KY
16. JUDER LEWIS, b. 1802 Ashe Co., NC on New River lands – Died 1876 – md. in 1825, NANCY BEGLEY b. 1810 Perry Co., KY – 1 Child died as baby.
17. SALLY LEWIS, b. 1803 Ashe Co., NC on New River lands – Died 1860 KY
END of PROVEN 1st Generation Children.