Search for content in message boards

US Papers - Old Aunt Peggy

US Papers - Old Aunt Peggy

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 4:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jul 2013 4:12AM GMT
Hi to you all,

This is the first entry that I have come across like this. I have shown how the keyer has keyed it, but not sure if it is correct.

I think Bloomingdale should be part of the location.

Thanks for the help,
Cheers,
Sue
Attachments:

Re: US Papers - Old Aunt Peggy

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 10:16AM GMT
Sue,

No, I'd say Bloomingdale is the surname.

Regards,
Mitch

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 11:54AM GMT
Hi Mitch,

Okay for Bloomingdale as surname. Is the rest keyed okay though? Should the words "old aunt" be left out completely?

Thanks so much,
Cheers,
Sue

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 12:41PM GMT
Sue,

I was afraid you might ask that. :(

I'm torn between "Old Aunt" as the prefix (since the project instructions seem to allow some latitude on prefixes) and "Old Aunt Peggy" as the given name (the Keying Standards might offer some support, if you are willing to draw an analogy from titles). Or perhaps I'm over-thinking this.

Toss a coin?

Regards,
Mitch

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 12:52PM GMT
Hi Mitch,

I was thinking exactly the same thing simply because of some of the bits and pieces both in the keying standards and the wiki for this project.

I was hoping for a definitive answer....sigh...., might have to go back to Anna or WAP again.

By the way, WAP did answer my question on Hospital for location, and gave me the same answer that Anna did....whew!....just took several days to get it. At least I am not on the same time constraints with this image set.

Thanks for your kind assistance,
Cheers,
Sue

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 4:35PM GMT
Sue,

And Google proves me wrong about surname vs. location, by leading to this page:

http://www.geobeale.com/GB13.htm

"2)- 1847--Emily Truxtun Beale had this death notice published in the DC paper:
“On the 24th ultimo, at Bloomingdale, near the city, “Old Aunt Peggy” late the property of Mrs. Emily Beale. She was born in Virginia, and claimed to be 120 years old, retaining a vivid recollection of many interesting facts connected with the history of Lower Virginia for a considerable period previous to the Revolutionary War. "

Oh well.
Mitch

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 8:07PM GMT
I think I would leave out the "Old Aunt" part and just key given as Peggy (no prefix).

Karen

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 11:52PM GMT
Hi Mitch,

I cannot count the number of times google has helped me decipher a name or a place. I think we have an inordinate amount of strange names these days (mostly due to how people decide to spell their simple names), but whilst keying this project there have been some doozies - Diodate, Gift, Cinderella (yes she was real!), Brhianna, just to name a few.

I never thought to google Aunt Peggy! And yes, the age given at her death is 120. Had one who was 142 (gentleman of black persuasion) and another lady of coloured persuasion who was 110 (these are all one on page). Must have been something in the water....he he he.

Thank you for googling it, nice to know I was right about the location....he he he (hope you don't feel too bad).

Thanks again Mitch,
Cheers,
Sue

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 11:54PM GMT
Hi Karen,

Thank you for that. I was leaning in that direction, but it is always nice to know someone else thinks the same way.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Sue
per page

Find a board about a specific topic