Search for content in message boards

Reeder/Reader DNA results

Reeder/Reader DNA results

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 2:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Reeder, Reader, Vowles, Leavell, Davis, Corbin, Snider, Johnson, Green
Based on my own research and the result of dozens of autosomal DNA matches, I feel confident that I descend from Simon Reeder (abt 1639 ~ abt 1685) and Virtue [Vowles], who, according to prior research(1), may or may not have been his only wife. From this union, I trace my lineage as follows:

Simon Reeder (1639-1685) -> John Reeder (1664-1717) -> Simon Reeder (17??-1797) -> William Reeder (1765-1826) -> Elizabeth Reeder (1772-1870) -> Mary Leavell (1803-1879) -> Frances Savilla Davis (1837–1895) -> Henryetta Florence Corbin (1860-1900) -> Evie Savilla Snider (1881-1966) – Martha Cathryn Johnson (1921-2004) -> data on living family members omitted.

Further DNA research has turned up a puzzle in the Reeder data. I appear to have multiple matches to Joanna Reeder (1669-1723) who married Judge William Green (1671-1722). From my research it appears as though Joanna Reeder descends from a different Reeder line than Simon Reeder.

Does anyone have any information showing a connection between these two Reeder lines? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Surnames: Reeder, Reader, Vowles, Leavell, Davis, Corbin, Snider, Johnson, Green

(1) Doliante, Sharon J. "Reeder." Maryland and Virginia Colonials: Genealogies of Some Colonial Families : Families of Bacon, Beall, Beasley, Cheney, Duckett, Dunbar, Ellyson, Elmore, Graves, Heydon, Howard, Jacob, Morris, Nuthall, Odell, Peerce, Reeder, Ridgley, Prather, Sprigg, Wesson, Williams, and Collateral Kin. Vol. II. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Pub., 1991. 731-836. Print.

Re: Reeder/Reader DNA results

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 3:58PM GMT
Simon just seemed stuck out there alone in MD. It has never been determined about his lineage further back them himself, even though some tried but there was no firm provenance.

I am not surprised that there could be a lineage link; however, the DNA testing had not previously been done to prove it. This puts us well on the way to the possibility of a family tie.

Thank you for testing and I am hopeful that others of the Simon lineage will do so as well. Regrettably, any male Reeder in our family line is not possible as, regrettably, they are all now deceased.

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 1:24AM GMT
Surnames: Reeder
I am convinced that these lines are connected based on the number of autosomal DNA matches I've managed to trace. Hopefully other members that can trace their DNA lineage through Simon will come across this post and be able to confirm matches to the other line as well.

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 9:53PM GMT
If you were a male Reeder what level of testing would you recommend?

I was just asked by someone on our list.

Linda

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 10:31PM GMT
I would go for the Y-46 test if ordering through Ancestry.com. If ordering through myFTDNA, I would probably stick with the Y-67 panel, but the Y-111 panel is a real possibility if you can afford it. The Ancestry autosomal DNA test is cheaper and provides more results down both maternal and paternal lines, but you've really got to have some patience in interpreting the results and matches. Once you get the hang of it though, I think you'll really appreciate what it offers. I'd stay away from the mtDNA tests unless you've got a real reason to view those results.

Posted: 4 Oct 2013 8:43PM GMT
Johanna Reeder is from the John Reeder line. He is said to come in 1630 and held land at Springfield, Massachusetts. He was from England.

Posted: 2 Apr 2014 3:25AM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Reeder
Since mtDNA (mitochondrial) passes unchanged from mother to chil, the point of this testing is that there may be no survivng fathers or sons with which to compare test results. All true siblings will
have the same mtDNA, as well first cousins of their maternal line. Mitochondrial DNA is contained in the nucleus of the ovum so it is there before conception occurs. FTDNA, since it originates only in the Y chromosome, passes unchanged from father to son only.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions