Search for content in message boards

FLOWERS FROM N.C OF INDIAN DECENT

FLOWERS FROM N.C OF INDIAN DECENT

Posted: 18 Apr 2002 5:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FLOWERS
SEARCHING FOR ANY INFO ON MY GGRANDMOTHER,
BEULAH FLOWERS. B sept. 25th 1895 NC.MARRIED TO EDWARD MCCORKLE. YEAR UNKNOWN( SHE WAS ALL OR PARTLY CHEROKEE INDIAN) BELIEVED TO HAVE A SISTER NAMED ALICE FLOWERS. ANY INFO GREATLY APPRIECIATED.PLS EMAIL ME.

Re: FLOWERS FROM N.C OF INDIAN DECENT

Charles Flowers (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2002 6:47PM GMT
Surnames: Flowers Morgan
Don't know if I can help you directly. I, too, am searching for Cherokee ancestors on the Flowers side of my family. My father, Samuel Bell Flowers, was born in Harlan, Ky in 1908. His mother was Laura Lee Morgan. According to family history, she would have been all or part Cherokee. I have researched some of the documents from the Kentucky State Archives in Frankfort (which seems to be about the busiest thing going there). They have copies of the Baker Roll and another Cherokee Census that is used to establish tribal membership of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians today. There are Flowers and Morgan surnames among the Eastern Cherokee roll of today. The Tribal headquarters is Cherokee, NC. But I have not been able to establish a direct link. Hope this is of interest.

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 6:24PM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2004 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: Flowers
If you guys discover anything, please let me know. I, too, am trying to research my family's ancestry. My great grandmother's mother was known to be part Indian and she was a Flowers...Martha Flowers (Carway) from Cairo, North Carolina. I CANNOT find her mother's name. I have looked at several rolls (Dawes?) and I see the Flowers surname in both the Cherokee and the Creek rolls. I believe that there is a separate roll for the Eastern Band of the Cherokees...the Baker roll. If the intermarriage of your ancestors took place before the roll was taken, it will be harder to find your Indian ancestor. There may also be the chance that your Indian ancestor elected NOT to enroll, as some did, or that they were recorded as having been a mulatto. Where in NC is your ancestor from?

Charles Flowers (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2002 8:58PM GMT
Surnames: Flowers Morgan
Our Flowers ancestors seem to be concentrated in Eastern Tennesee (Pickett County). The Cherokees, as you probably know, were all over that part of the country, from North Georgia, to the Carolinas, Tennessee, and Kentucky. The Trail of Tears (1939) went as far north as Southern Illinois. Except for the location of the Eastern Band in far western N.C., it doesn't seem that the 19th Century Cherokees were any respectors of state boundaries.

Posted: 22 Apr 2002 7:11AM GMT
thankyou for you time. im not sure where in n.c, alexandria township was mentioned. i also found out my ggrandmother's mother was a reddick before she became a flowers. im sending away for an original copy of her ss# application. hopefully that will fill some of the voids. good luck to u.

Posted: 6 Aug 2002 1:46AM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2002 3:07AM GMT
Surnames: Flowers, Jackson, Ramsey. Scoval
I too have been told the indian heritage story. My gr-gr-grandmother was Margaret Flowers who was born abt 1842 in York CO., SC, she was the daughter of Mike FLowers and his wife Cynthia Jackson who had come from the Blue Ridge Mountain area (talk about vague!!)

Re: FLOWERS FROM SC OF INDIAN DECENT

Posted: 8 Aug 2002 2:04AM GMT
Surnames: McNallye, Flowers
My Flower family was from SC also. James Nelson Flowers born abt 1815...married Sarah Morton McNallye. Were in Attala County, MS in 1847 and had son, Joseph Warren Flowers and then were in LaSalle Parish, LA and had their daughter, Laura Antoinette Flowers. Supposedly James was full-blooded Indian, but have heard Choctaw and Cherokee, so my research on him has not gone very far either.

Jen Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2002 5:25PM GMT
My grandmother was a FLOWERS from South Carolina. Her father was Haskell FLOWERS, and was of Cherokee Indian decent. he is the oldest FLOWERS I know of. I keep running into walls wherever I research. If you have any helpful info, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Linda Miles (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2003 3:35AM GMT
Surnames: Flowers, Ramsey
My husband's great grandfather was Rev. Paul David Flowers we found him listed on the 1880 Lauderdale Co. Mississippi Census. I do not have any information as to who his father was. I know that his father must have died some time between the time he was born and when he was listed on 1880 Census in the house with his mother and stepfather.

The name David has been a naming patter passed down through the generations.

Also, I have Ramsey's (Alexander, Stinson Allen, Etc.) in My family line and noticed that you were researching the Ramsey's as well. Which line of the Ramsey's are you researching.

Linda

Re: FLOWERS FROM SC OF INDIAN DECENT

Donna K. Thompson-Neighbors (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2003 4:43PM GMT
Though I have never had any proof...I strongly suspect there is Indian Blood in my Flowers line. Lorenzo Flowers and his wife left North Carolina and settled in Kentucky. His son married a Breedlove from Tennessee. Of course, back then people hid mention of such things. I suspected this in two other lines in my family and eventually found it to be true. If you find any of above names in your research, I will help in any way I can...but, as of now...I have nothing to indicate this is true.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic