Search for content in message boards

Peacocks from Little Baddow

Peacocks from Little Baddow

Posted: 29 Oct 2011 1:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peacock, Hart
Looking for anyone that has info on the Peacocks from Little Baddow in their ancestry. I descend from Rose Peacock b. 1858. Her father was Henry Peacock. She married William Hart and they ended up in Haslett Michigan. I have hit a brick wall on this Peacock family. Would appreciate any info or advice regarding them.

Re: Peacocks from Little Baddow

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 2:45AM GMT
Hi, where is Little Baddow? I do have Peacocks in my lineage, the are from Yorkshire, England. I do have a Henry, but I have never heard of Little Baddow, so not sure if our information would connect.
Good Luck
Jean

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 12:44PM GMT
Little Baddow is a village in Essex County, England. It is near to the county town of Chelmsford, and is very close to Great Baddow. Nowadays it is largely a commuter village, but until relatively recently it would have been an agricultural-based community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Baddow

Peacock is a relatively common name and there are at least 2 if not 3 or more well developed families in Essex. I know this as I have Peacocks in my own family and am Essex-based yet often stumble on other Peacocks with no known tie in to my tree (including the Baddow Peacocks).

The Peacocks of Baddow are shown on ancestry in dozens of UK census records. There are many records of them on the IGI/Mormon site at:

https://www.familysearch.org

Regards

Neil

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 10:55PM GMT
Thank you so much for the info. I can use all of the help I can get with this family. Anything else you have to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 10:57PM GMT
I really do not know any of my Peacocks that were in Essex but I really do not know too much about them at all. If you find that you have any info I might be able to use please pass it on. Thank you for your response.

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 8:33AM GMT
James Peacock was born in Ramsden Crays, Essex about 1788, his wife Elizabeth was born in Little Baddow about 1789. James Peacock was gamekeeper to General William Goodday Strutt, at Tofts, Little Baddow. Strutt’s will of 11 April 1842 (probate granted 8 March 1848), states: “I do bequeath to James Peacock he having been in my service as Gamekeeper thirty two years thirty two pounds”
Henry Peacock, son of James and Eliza Peacock was baptised at the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Little Baddow on 3 October 1819. He married Eliza Wood from Terling, Essex (daughter of Samuel Wood) at the same church on 10 March 1852. Rose, daughter of Henry and Charlotte Peacock was baptised there on 30 May 1858. I suspect “Charlotte” is an error.
Henry was buried in that churchyard 9 July 1862, aged 41.
Eliza Peacock then appears to have married James Gibson but I have not found a record of that marriage.
The marriage of William Hart and Rose Peacock was registered in London July-Sept 1880 (Public Records Office Bethnal Green Vol. 1c, p. 653).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic