Search for content in message boards

Making a case against the Furnifold Wood DNA results.

Making a case against the Furnifold Wood DNA results.

Posted: 17 Jul 2008 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood, Green, Peabody
Recently the Wood/Woods DNA Project web site showed a breakthrough on Furnifold and Abigail Wood's decedents. It states that Furnifold Wood's parents were Aaron Wood and Mary Green.Even though I have yet to find any proof of this it does make sense, if Mary Green is related to Furnifold (Farinfold) Green. The part I'm making a case against is Aaron being the son of John Wood and Ruth Peabody of Boxford, Mass. I stumbled across a book online called "The History of Boxford,Essex County, Massachusetts" at HeritageQuest.com. The book does mention Aaron Wood, son of John and Ruth Wood, who was of some historic importance to the Boxford, Mass. area.
This Aaron Wood was b. 1719 and d. 1791 in Boxford, Mass. The Dna project claims he died 1765 in Beaufort, N.C.
This Aaron Wood was married twice but not to any Mary Green.
The most important info I gleaned from this book is that Aaron Wood of Boxford, Mass. died CHILDLESS!
So I guess it's back to the research. I do think the Aaron Wood and Mary Green route is correct but we need info to back it up. Good Luck!

Re: Making a case against the Furnifold Wood DNA results.

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 3:12PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jan 2010 4:47PM GMT
Surnames: Wood
Hi Phil,
I am in agreement with you. I researched this same Aaron Wood and discovered that he never left Mass. and is buried there. So he is not our Aaron Wood.

Gilda Wood Romer

Posted: 9 Aug 2010 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Wood/Greene/Pritchard/Tippett/Reid/Clement
Hello,

I was wondering if anything new has been discovered about this dna project. I am of the Marion/Clinton Wood family from Atlanta/Queen City Texas. My mom is the only child of JT Wood.

Thanks
Lisa Quigley-Moon

Posted: 12 Aug 2010 7:40PM GMT
I have not found any new info on Aaron being Furnifold's father. I did discover that Furnifold's wife Mary maiden name probably is Crawford. Furnifold moved to Barbour Co., Al, @1836. Looking at a land patent map I saw Furnifold's neighbor is Arthur Crawford. Furnifold married Mary @1838.Their first born son is Arthur Crawford Wood, my Greatgrand Father. If you find any new info on the Wood dna please contact me- Thank You

Posted: 12 Aug 2010 10:50PM GMT
Lisa, after I sent that last post I realized your related to Clinton Wood of Arkansas.Maedell Goss of Port Arthur, Tx says your family has my Great Grandfather,Arthur Crawford Wood, Confederate Soldier papers. If this true could you please get me copies. Also, I,ve always been curious why Clinton moved to Arkansas when everyone else went to Barbour Co. Al. It's great to finally connect with someone from Clinton's side of the family. Hope to hear from you soon- Phil Wood

Posted: 14 Aug 2010 4:27PM GMT
Hello Phil,
It is also great for me to finally connect to more family. I have some sorta bad news. When my mom's dad died in 1998 he had estranged himself from us. I don't know why or what happened but it hurt my mom deeply. Her dad was a strange guy & I only saw him a few times in my life. He left his land or what was left of it to her cousin & that was another little jab or twist of the knife. lol I have met my cousins there before but have not seen or spoken to any of them since 1978. This has left a bad taste in the mouths of my brothers & myself. It wasn't the fact he gave the land away it was finding out that his long time attorney didn't even know my mom existed hurt the most. It was very strange. He & my grandmother were married in the mid to late 1930's & mom was born in 39. Grand mom accused him of running around & they separated so were that way until mom was about 12. I think maybe 11 years before the divorce. She saw him over the years but she evidently did something that he did not approve of & the unconditional love thing didn't apply I guess. lol Sorry lol I resemble that word "bablative" lol My mom & dad live in Katy(Houston),Texas if you want you can email her. I sent her a copy of the thread so she would know who you were. Her name is Janice & her email is janicequigley@yahoo.com She may be able to give you more info on the older folks & who it is that may have the papers your seeking. I do know that the other side (Pritchards) have been researched but I don't know if that person would have the wood info or not. I have in my tree the names of quite a few of my cousins but I don't know anything personal about them. I am living in Grove & work in Tulsa so I am not all that far from Texarkana & hope to make a trip down that way. I am researching slowly my mom & dads family so I am a little slow. lol One thing I have noticed & find very interesting is that there are names that correspond to my dads family in North Carolina. Of course there were people with the same names all over but I find it interesting that the name Furnifold turns up in dads family & it appears some of his kin went on down to Georgia & Alabama. He is related to the Lee, Gainey, Denning's,Westbrook families & many more from North Carolina. We even have a direct ancestor named Westbrook Lee. lol Can't get much more related to those than that. lol Actually I saw The Green & Wood families on a census with Westbrook Lee. I need to do a little better research to make sure everything lines up there. lol Dad was born & raised in Dunn, NC so some of them didn't leave. Anyway I am trying to decide who & how to approach the Wood people in Cass co for info. Aunt Dorthy if she is still alive is getting pretty old. I need to check but I am going to bet she isn't. So her sons are near my moms age I believe & mom is 71. Anyway mail mom & let me know if there is anything I can do. I wish we could figure out the Aaron connection. Mom's other side of the family is very confusing too. They also migrated the same rt & there were people of the same exact names & drives me crazy. lol I think I found something but then I found another surname thread & it appears I may be on a wrong path there. (Tippett's) lol When I saw her great grand father was named Andrew Jackson Tippett I thought "wow what luck" lol. Boy was I wrong. lol Not only is Tippett very common even at that time in the southeast at that time the name Andrew Jackson was too. Okay I better go or i will sit here all day.
Lisa

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 9:11PM GMT
Have you taken a Paternal Y chromosome DNA test for your Wood line?

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 7:23PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, George, Price,
Lisa,
I am a descendant of a Wood family, i. e. Rev. Richard Wood, b. 1756 in Mecklenburg, VA, married to Mary Price and they both lived in North Carolina before migrating to East TN, specifically Sevier and Jefferson, and Greene Counties. My gggggrandfather was a son, James Wood, his son, Wm. T. Wood who married a Mary George, their son, Silas M. Wood who died in Gilmore Hospital in Forsythe, GA during Civil War. Silas' son was my grandfather, Henry Davis Wood whose mother was Tennessee Blair. The family is a large one as James Wood married several times and had many children. Descendants are in TN, TX, MO, IN, MO and Ark I believe. Wood you be related to any of these Wood family members. I do have other data on the family and will be happy to share. I believe that some of the family came from PA and migrated into VA, and the Carolinas. Rev. Richard Wood and his son, James, owned an island in the French Broad River before the TVA covered it with a dam built around 1941. Do you have a family history site online that you might share data from? I would appreciate any data on your family and will be happy to reciprocate. You may contact me here or at zenogo1@yahoo.com. Thanks. Zenna Smith

Posted: 19 Aug 2010 2:16AM GMT
Lisa, i recognize the Westbrook name from your group. I'll get in touch with your mom.Also, from my reseach Clinton did stay in Sampson Co. N.C. but my curiousity still makes wonder why he moved to Ark. Anyway if I get some new info I'll let you know-Phil

Posted: 22 Aug 2010 3:21PM GMT
Your wrote "Recently the Wood/Woods DNA Project web site showed a breakthrough on Furnifold and Abigail Wood's decedents"

Question: would that be the DNA project here on ancestry.com or another Wood DNA project?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions