Search for content in message boards

Old Unity Baptist Church

Old Unity Baptist Church

Gina Jackson Farmer (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Radcliff
Does anyone know any history of Old Unity Baptist Church & Cemetery? Located in Hardinsburg. Thanks gf

Old Unity Cemetery

Gina Farmer (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
I have made the trip to Old Unity Cemetery. It appears to have once been a beautiful Cemetery. It is now overgrown with grass, weeds, etc., there is a tree fallen over one side and some of the stones are in a deplorable condition. It is a real shame that the Trustee of Posey Township can't find the funds to at least trim this cemetery. But there are a lot of Radcliff's buried there.

Old Unity Cemetery

Gary Radcliffe (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: RADCLIFFE
There are numerous RADCLIFFs buried at Old Unity Cemetery in Washington County, IN. It is pretty safe to assume that all of them are descended from the three sons of Richard RADCLIFF of Garrard Co., KY (1738-1814).

Re: Old Unity Cemetery

Posted: 13 Feb 2003 12:53AM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2005 8:21PM GMT
As I was reading your message I saw Posey Twp, Washington, Indiana. I have several Radcliffs who were born there and at least one who died there. His name was David Radcliff. he died between 1860-1870. His birth date is incorrect because it says 1880-1892 (which is impossible)and born in KY or VA . His wife's name is Elizabeth (Brown?) born 1790-1800 in KY or VA and died after 1870. They had several children but the only names I have are Fanny, Clara and Richard Beverly Radcliff. He was born in Posey Twp, Washington, Indiana on 27 Apr 1836. He married Susan Blevens and they are buried in Iowa. They are great grandparents to my husband.

I would love to hear from you concerning this family if you think there is some kind of connection.

Anna Seley

Re: Old Unity Cemetery

Gina Farmer (View posts)
Posted: 13 Feb 2003 1:59PM GMT
Anna, I am sure that there is a connection. I don't have my stuff here with me, as I am at work. But I will bring it tomorrow and check it out. The Radcliffs, and a couple of other families started the Old Unity Baptist Church and subsequently the Cemetery. But many were born in WV & KY,. in fact the migrated from KY to the Posey Twp. area. I have a Great Aunt who did a lot of in depth research and most all of it is in the John Hay Museum in Salem, IN. But we all got copies. And I have traveled to the Cemeteries to look around. I do live in Washington County so it is within a few miles of me. But I will get back to you tomorrow with more details. All of the names you mentioned are in my research.
thanks--Gina

BLEVANS/RADCLIFF FAMILY

Posted: 4 Aug 2004 4:20PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2004 5:28PM GMT
Surnames: BLIVINS, BLEVANS, RADCLIFF, PEARSON, SIPES, BROWN, FRY
My husband's gg-grandparents were Barbara E. BLIVINS, b 1854, d 1882; m Nicholas Smith RADCLIFF, b 1845, d 1917. Barbara's parents were Willaby BLEVANS and Catherine PEARSON, Nicholas's parents were Richard RADCLIFF and Eliza SIPES. Richard RADCLIFF's parents were Benjamin RADCLIFF and Polly BROWN. Benjamin's second wife was Margaret TOTTEN. I have children from the first marriage but don't have any for the second. Benjamin's father was Richard RADCLIFF and Jane UNKNOWN. Richard's father was Daniel Stephen RADCLIFF and Catherine FRY.

Re: BLEVANS/RADCLIFF FAMILY

Posted: 10 Aug 2004 2:49AM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2005 8:21PM GMT
Surnames: Radcliff, Blevans
Ruth,
It seems we might be connected through both the Blevans and Radcliff family. I have a Benjamin Radcliff born 11 Oct 1790, Lincoln Co., KY wo married a Polly Brown. They were married 11 May 1811. He was also married to a Margaret Totten on 13 April 1839 in Crawford Co., IN

My line runs through Polly and Benjamin. They had a son, David who married Rachel Elizabeth Brown. These two in turn had a son Richard Beverly Radcliff who married Susan Blevans.

Susan's parents were Willoughby and Catherine (Pearson) Blevens. Willoughby also was married to a Nancy McIntosh.

Susan and Richard Radcliff had 6 children: John David, Mary E., Sara C., Clarissa A., Daniel A., and Mabel Nancy. Mabel Nancy married Edward Seley who were my husband's great grandparents.

I hope that makes sense.

Anna Seley

Posted: 11 Aug 2004 5:32AM GMT
Surnames: RADCLIFF, BLEVANS, MCINTOSH
Anna,
Thank you for answering my message. First let me mention that this is my husband's family. Now, to comment on your message;
1) Ben and Polly are the line I'm researching. Their son, Richard RADCLIFF, married Eliza SIPES.
2) Richard and Eliza 9 or 10 kids. One was Nicholas Smith RADCLIFF who married Barbara BLEVINS, daughter of Willoughby BLEVANS and Catherine PEARSON.
3) Richard and Eliza's other son, Silas, married Ruth BLEVANS, another daughter of Willoughby and Catherine.
4) I do not have a David listed as a child of Ben and Polly. I have a Daniel V. RADCLIFF b 17 Jul 1832, Wash. Co., IN; d 2 Aug 1878, Wash. Co., IN. Are these one and the same?
5) Ben and Polly had a son named Beverly B. RADCLIFF. Why do you suppose the family started to use the name "Beverly" for male children?
6)I was not aware that Willoughby had a second wife and that she was a MCINTOSH.
7) When Nicholas Smith RADCLIFF married Barbara BLEVINS she was a widow. Her first husband was Samuel MCINTOSH. I don't know who his parents were. i don't have any children from that marriage, either.
8) Nicholas Smith (he went by the name Smith RADCLIFF more than Nicholas RADCLIFF, don't know why) and Barbara only had one child, Nellie B. (who was my husband's great grandmother). Nellie was born in 1881 and Barbara died in 1882.
9) Nicholas's first wife was Julia STRICKLAND with whom he had three sons.
10) Nicholas's third wife was Mellissa Elizabeth CARR.

Does any of this info jive with what you have?

Posted: 11 Aug 2004 11:19PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2006 5:45PM GMT
I noticed that you said that David Radcliff was the son of Benjamin Radcliff (b oct 8 1790). According to Posey Township cemetery Records David was born mar 3 1788.

Posted: 12 Aug 2004 1:22AM GMT
Herb,
Your message reached me instead of Anna but I will do my best to get it to her. P.S. What cemetery is David buried in?
Ruth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions