Search for content in message boards

Lost Civil War Goad

Lost Civil War Goad

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 8:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Goad, Arthur, Jones
I'm in the process of researching my G-G-G-Grandfather, Aaron Goad (b. before 1819, in Tennessee?); and his wife (my G-G-G-Grandma) Fanny (Frances) Jones (b. 1812, d. 1858?). Children of Aaron & Fanny were: Robert, Hiram, Sarah J, Aaron, Louisa, Jeremiah, Peter, William and (maybe) Mary "Polly" Goad. One of our "family stories" (retold many times) is that the Goads came from North Carolina to Tennessee, and then (no one knows why) moved north into Indiana. Father Aaron died; and Mother Fanny & brood then established housekeeping in Indiana (Greene Co I think). The Story goes on that during the Civil War, most of the boys went off to war, but that Fanny kept one of the younger ones "hid out" on the farm. He was supposedly in young teens. In order to avoid detection (and muster) he slept by day in a hayloft of a barn, and plowed the fields at night by moonlight. One morning, the Story goes, Fanny awoke and saw the plow standing deserted out in the middle of the field. The boy was gone; so was the horse. There were lots of horses hoofs in the area of the plow. The conjecture was that "Bushwackers" or other Irregulars had caught him and taken them with them. After the war ended, the Story goes, he never came back. Fanny and Louisa (Louisey or Eliza Goad, my GGGrandma) would go down to meet the trains bringing soldiers home and ask about him, but no one had heard of him. And supposedly Fanny spent the rest of her life going down to the train station in Vincennes and asking after her son. Supposedly there was only one possible connection: someone remembered someone of the description living in Ohio. And that's all.

I've heard this story all my life from my Mom; she doesn't remember the name of the boy. And naturally I've always been very curious. Does anyone by any chance recognize any of this? I realize this is a long shot ... and it's VERY probable that some personalities got conflated or otherwise confused. For example, I think Fanny actually died in 1858, which would have made it impossible that she played the role assigned by the Story during and after the Civil War; I figure maybe that role was played by a daughter or cousin or other family. For that matter I don't even know if Vincennes had a train station. In any event, if anyone has any info to share on the above Story; or the above family; I'd be very grateful. Thanks! Charles Delacroix cdelacroix1@msn.com

Re: Lost Civil War Goad

Ken Haas (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2004 1:20AM GMT

Charles -

Aaron Goad married Frances Jones 28 July 1833 in Greene County, Indiana. The next day Anna Johnson married Littlebury Goad. They were from Virginia through E. Tenn. with perhaps a brief stop in Ky.

Although it has been assumed these were older sons of Ayres (Ayers) and Edith (Collier) Goad, it is possible they were Aaron's nephews but that is another story.

Aaron and Littlebury both died before the 1850 census, Aaron quite recently as Fanny had a son William , age 1, in 1850.

We can find these sons of Fanny as regularly-enrolled Union soldiers. Jerremiah and Peter were in Compasny B, 33rd Ind Inf Regt. Also in the same company was a Fortunatis C. Goad. I have never tried seriously to indenify him.

There were two Hiram Goads in Indiana regts., one in the 31st Inf and one in the 119th In I migjht be able to find one in amnother county if I work on it.

Anyhow, it is Robert that I do not find regularly enrolled in the army And, of course, he was apparently the oldrest son. It would make sense to try to keep the older son at home to support for mother , sister and young brother, William..

There is a strange story that a Goad soldier in Lamar County,Texas (Confederate , I assume but not so identified) was from Indiana, During the war, he came home on furlough so bedraggled that his family hardly recognized him,

He returned to the army and that was the last the family ever heard of him. He had three sons (I have their names). One, Thomas or John Thomas, later lived in Ark. The mother re-married.

We cannot idenbtify him without knowing his name but he likely appeared on the 1850 Indiana census. Although there were Goads in other Indiana counties, for some reason I always suspected Greene.

Oddly, another clan of Goads showed up in Greene County from Virginia through S.Car. Even more oddly, one married a sister of Littlebury's wife, Anne Johnson !!! They were not closely connected to Ayers family but were cousins of some degree.

I could not help thinking of this mystery when I read yours;.

I have a list (complete , supposedly although I doubt it) ) of Goads in the Civil War and will check on whether a Robert appears.

-- Ken

Posted: 15 Jan 2004 4:17AM GMT
Thanks, Ken ... I just read through your message and will go over it better tomorrow ... it's a bit past my bedtime at the moment ... but wanted to go ahead and say THANKS! I've been reading yours (and others) posts on this board with great fascination. Also, I tried to contact you by email last week I think hoping to find out how to order your book on the Goads. I don't think the email address I got worked though. Could you let me know how to get your book? My email is cdelacroix1@msn.com. Charles

Posted: 2 Apr 2004 6:50AM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2006 2:55AM GMT
Surnames: Barefield, Barfield, Caldwell, Dentler, Goad, Lewis, Nowell
Hi Ken, about the Goad Civil War soldier that, "came home on furlough so bedraggled that his family hardly recognized him,

He returned to the army and that was the last the family ever heard of him. He had three sons (I have their names). One, Thomas or John Thomas, later lived in Ark. The mother re-married."

I have this soldier's wife as Nancy Johnson, who had three sons, Joesph b.1854 in Tenn., John Thomas b.1856 in Indiana, and James Aaron b.1860 in Indiana.
She and the boys moved to Ark. and then on to Paris Lamar County Texas where she married Samuel Caldwell (spelled Calwell on the marriage license).

Nancy Johnson and Samuel Caldwell are my ggrandparents. They had Armitia (Mittie) Caldwell, my grandmother. She married my grandfather, John Martin Barefield and they had three children.
My father, William Dale Barefield, Samuel Sherman Barefield, and Vester (Bessie) Barefield (all spelled Barfield as well).
Samuel Sherman Barfield married his cousin, Maude Goad b.7 Sep 1895, daughter of James Aaron Goad and Annie Willis b.5 May 1876. Samuel had several children, three of them were, Beatrice Una Barfield b.1915, Samuel Sherman Barfieldjr.,and Roy Barfield. All of them born around youngsport Bell County Texas.

Hopefully, someone out there can help with the names and/or dates of Maude Goad and Samuel Sherman Barfield's children. Samuel Sherman Barfield re-married several times, one of them was named Ruby (surname unknown at this time).

Posted: 2 Apr 2004 6:59AM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2006 2:55AM GMT
Surnames: Barefield, Barfield, Caldwell, Dentler, Goad, Lewis, Nowell
I forgot about Nancy's daughter Amanda Goad b.june 1865 in Texas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions