Search for content in message boards

Lynn's in Rowan North Carolina 1750-1800

Lynn's in Rowan North Carolina 1750-1800

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 12:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lynn, Fanning
There were three brothers John, Andrew and James Lynn who settled in Rowan, N.C. around 1750. Looking for family information that might tie any of the above to William Fanning Lynn born abt 1765 in Rowan Co. I show William Fanning as having the following children: Gersham, Jamima, Henry, Israel and Charity - are there any more children - are the ones I show accurate?
Jim Lynn

Re: Lynn's in Rowan North Carolina 1750-1800

Posted: 3 Feb 2009 12:55AM GMT
Surnames: Lynn
What is your source for the information on John, Andrew and James Lynn in Rowan, NC ? My Lynns were in North Carolina about the same time.

Posted: 3 Feb 2009 1:36AM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2009 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Ramsey
The information comes from the book Carolina Cradle by Robert W. Ramsey. The book tells about there migration from Maryland to Virginia and finally to Northwest Carolina. There is other corroborating information in the form of maps of the Beverley Patents and land records in The Rowan area that tell the same story.

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 6:31AM GMT
Would this book have any of the family of James Lynn, wife or Children?

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 12:52PM GMT
Surnames: Lynn/Linn
I believe Andrew and James to have been the sons of Dr. John Lynn. I believe Dr. John immigrated from of the Beverly Manor Land grant in present Augusta Co VA to North Carolina about 1752 with these two sons and new wife, Naomi.

Dr. John Lynn was born in Ireland (County Derry/Donegal area) about 1685, came to Queen Anne Co. Maryland about 1730, moved to Beverley Manor sections Augusta Co VA after buying land there in 1746 (Order Book 1.p. 73 - 20 Aug 1746). He was married to Margaret Cameron and she bore his sons; Andrew, James, Robert, John Jr. Adam and Daniel. (The latter may have died in c1751 in Augusta Co.

Dr. John was also brother to Dr. William Lynn of Fredericksburg with whom he feuded. Augusta Co VA Court record of Nov 1751 shows he sued brother William: "Glisterpipe vs Glisterpipe, alias, Irish Doctor William Lynn of Fredricksburg vs Irish Doctor John Lynn of Augusta--Now here is Potts ye peddlars. Irish upon Irish." Apparently this dispute remained unresolved because a 1752 entry states: "Dr. John Lynn left the county."

Records also show that John and Margaret sold their tract #15 of 300 acres at Beverley Manor to June 17, 1752, to John Black June 17, 1752 and they left the county in November of that year. I believe sons John Jr, Adam, and Robert then turned northward and resettled on Lower Marsh Creek area of the Manor of Maske land grant in York (now Adams Co) PA. Margaret went with these sons and died in Penn in 1769.

With sons Andrew and James,and apparent new wife, Naomi, Dr. John removed to NC at the same time and bought 3312 acres from George Cathey in Feb of the following year. This land was located between the Yadkin and Catawba Rivers. 12 acres of this land was sold in 1753 to the congregation of Thyatira Presbyterian Church. James and Andrew obtained land in NC in 1753. James bought land in Carolina in 1753 on the Sixmile Creek east of the
Catawba River. This is now in York Co, SC. James also bought 250 acres from his father on N side Catawba on S side Waxhaw Creek on 21 Aug 1759. (Anson
County, NC Deed Abstracts, Vol. I: 1749-1757) Andrew died in the Waxhaw settlement before the spring of 1762.

It appears that with the sale of his land in 1759, John Sr. and wife Naomi may have moved on to Georgia.

Barb in BC

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 2:03PM GMT
Edited: 26 Apr 2009 3:40PM GMT
Do you have any information on John and Naomi after they went to GA? My husband descends from Thomas Lynn who moved to Wrightsboro from NC.

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 5:36PM GMT
Surnames: Lynn,Linn,McCay
The names for children of James are not shown in the book. There is quite a lot of information on the Lynn's in Virginia, N.C. & Georgia, in the Lynn/Linn quarterly vol X1.no.1-Spring 1997 - 26 pages worth (thank you Phyllis Bauer). There does not appear to be any positive proof linking John & Naomi to any of the Lynn's that follow them. There is a lot of conjecture that needs further refining.
One interesting thing that is happening now, which may break this log jam, is DNA testing. Presently there is a provable DNA connection between William Lynn Sr. (1730-1789) & wife Mary McCay (1749-1780), their children Henry, Israel, & William Fanning, all from N.C.; John Banister Lynn and wife Abagail, their male children Edmond, Elijah, & Clark, from Md. & Ohio; Andrew Lynn (1818-1904) and wife Kinslow (1830-?), from Ohio, Ind., Mo. In about two weeks there will be results available for a DNA test from a confirmed Andrew Lynn (1701-1790) ancestor. All indications are that the last DNA test will match the above 3 tests. Andrew's line is well documented back to Ireland. If this last test proves out then we should be able to back into all of these other lines and fill in the missing links.

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 6:38PM GMT
There was a post some time back that said John & Naomi were buying land in Wilkes Co. Ga and Warren Co. Ga in 1768-1770. I would also add Tattnall Co. Ga - some of what is thought to be his family ended up there.

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 6:41PM GMT
The following information is from notes I have made over the years regarding James Linn, who appears to be my ancestor. Note that his children are named in the will
"The following records are found for James Linn:

Charleston Will Book TT (1774-1778), p. 454-464: Will of James Linn, dated 9 Mar 1776... of the district of Camden & Province of South Carolina... to my Eldest child Sarah Helen, one shilling sterling to what I have already given Her; to the rest of my beloved children, viz., John Linn, William Linn, Mary Linn, Alexander Linn, James Linn, Margaret Linn, Robert Linn, Joseph Linn, & Isaac Linn, I give & bequeath, over & above what I have before Date of these presents given them, all my real & personal estate to them their Heirs & assigns for ever, Equally divided to each of them, excepting my best blue Coat & Jecoat of the same cloth, which I give to my son Alexander....land, livestock & all other my estate to be sold by Public Sale within twelve months after my decease, Each of my last mentioned children to receive their Just & Equal share, at the age of eighteen years, the share of such as are under that age when becom due, after sale to be put to Interest until they arrive at that age, and if any should die before they come to that age, such share or shares to be equally divided amongst the rest. my sons Robert, Joseph & Issac to be bound to Trades and be learnd to read & write and some____arithmetick, as sooon as convenient... I do nominate Consitute & appoint my trusty & beloved son John Linn & Friend William Lewis to be my only Sole executors of this my Last Will and Testament in witness whereof I ___ _____ set my hand & Seal for the Day & year above written. James Linn (LS) Wit: George Gill, John Gill, Thomas Gill.

James Lynn bought 538 acres in Beverley Manor on South River, Shanando (Shanadoah) on 12th August, 1747. James Lynn transferred 269 acres to his brother Andrew in Beverley Manor on 22 May 1750. He also sold 269 acres to James and Ann Bradford prior to 1752. These transactions were in Augusta Co., VA and taken from records of that county 1745-1800. So James apparently sold all of his orginal 538 acres by 1752.

James had two brothers, John Jr, and Andrew. Their father was John Linn, Sr. and they all lived in the Beverley Manor section of Augusta Co, Va having bought land there in 1746 (Ref. Order Book 1.p. 73 - 20 Aug 1746) until about 1751. These brothers are believed to have been born c1720-25 and the father, John Sr., around 1700. The Augusta County, Virginia, Deed Book 1, p.280, list the land that James bought. It stated "This indenture 12 Aug 1747, between William Beverley...and James Linn of the County of Augusta....5 shillings current money of Virginia...tract of land containing 538 acres. lying on the head branches of the South river of Shenandoah... W. Beverley (Seal) Wit: Robt. Davies, Jon W. Mitchell, W. Russell.
James bought land in Carolina in 1753 on the Sixmile Creek east of the Catawba River. This is now in York Co, SC. James also bought 250 acres from John Linn on N side Catawba on S side Waxhaw Creek on 21 Aug 1759. Ref Anson County, NC Deed Abstracts, Vol. I: 1749-1757, Brent Holcomb, 1974."

I would like to know where I can observe the Lynn DNA results. I have a first cousin with the surname Lynn who is also a descent of James Linn thru his son Robert. I would like for him to take the YDNA test.

Lynn Laster

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: Lynn, Linn
Lynn-

There is a Lynn/ Linn Y-DNA group on Ancestry.com. Please encourage your male Lynn cousin to do the Y-DNA, 43 markers would be great....the more markers, the better. The Lynn Group on Ancestry.com has Lynn descendents from the Augusta Co., VA area. We would be very anxious to see if there are some matches.

Tami (IamTam777@aol.com)

per page

Find a board about a specific topic