Search for content in message boards

Whalens in Latah and Nez Perce Counties, Idaho

Whalens in Latah and Nez Perce Counties, Idaho

Posted: 7 Jul 2009 2:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Whalen, Grackery, Bennett, Yount, Nye, Wallace, Heim
I am looking for descendants of James Whalen(1869 in Iowa, died 1840 ( I think) in Idaho) and Mary Grackery Whalen (1885-1952). Their children were Mary Whalen Bennett (1903-1980) wife of Walter F. Bennett, Margaret Whalen, who was married to a Robert Yount and an Everett Nye, William Whalen, Theresa Whalen (1910-1992 in Kennewick, WA), who married a Stanley Wallace, Elizabeth Whalen (b. 1912) whom married Clarence Heim, and Thomas Whalen (1917-1980...died in Houston, TX.

James was a first cousin to my grandfather, and he grew up on the home farm in Iowa which was homesteaded in 1856. I have photos and information and would appreciate connecting with one of James Whalen's descendants.

Re: Whalens in Latah and Nez Perce Counties, Idaho

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 1:56AM GMT
Surnames: Wallace, Nye, Whalen, Bennett
Hi,
I found one Family Tree on Ancestry for William Louis Whalen and asked the owner to contact you. I've been told that anyone can search the Family Trees on www.ancestry.com.

I think rather than hoping family members will contact you, you might need to find obits and then use www.zabasearch.com or Google to find current contact info.

Mary Bennett b. 27 Aug 1903 died June 1980 and her Last Benefit was mailed to Lewiston, Nez Perce Co., ID 83501. Her soc. sec. # was assigned in ID before 1951. Source: Social Security Death Index, www.ancestry.com.

I tried to find her exact death date but ID restricts access to exact death dates until a person has been dead for 50 years.

YOu might want to contact the Idaho Genealogy Society www.idahogenealogy.org and ask them if they have other sources for death dates.

Also the Twin Rivers Genealogy Society, PO Box 386, Lewiston, ID 83501 . Either one might have an obituary file.

A William Whalen b. 16 April 1908, Last Residence=Lewiston, Nez Perce Co., ID died Feb 1988. Soc. sec. # assigned in CA before 1951. Source: Social Security Death Index, www.ancestry.com.

I'd use the two sources mentioned above to find his exact death date.

A Margaret Marie Nye b. 6 Dec 1906, Spouse-Everet, Died 4 Sept 1990, Umatilla Co., OR per death cert 90-17354. Source: OR Death Index 1903-98, www.ancestry.com.

You should be able to request a copy of her obituary from Blue Mountain Genealogy Society, www.uci.net/~sandral/ .

Theresa L. Wallace b. 27 March 1910, Last Residence=Kennewick, Benton Co., WA 99337 died 29 May 1992. Her soc. sec. # was assigned ID before 1951. Source: Social Security Death Index, www.ancestry.com.

A Theresa L. Wallace born abt. 1910, Age=82, died Spokane City, WA 29 May 1992 per death cert 016896. Source: WA Death Index 1940-96. www.ancestry.com.

She might have lived in Kennewick and been sent to a hospital in Spokane. You can request a copy of her obituary from the Washington State Library, www.secstate.wa.gov/library/ask.aspx . They will search the newspaper microfilm 60 minutes at no charge & email to you what they do or don't find. Successful Searching!

Posted: 17 Jul 2009 4:52AM GMT
Thank you very much for the leads. I was able to find a Bennett descendant and that will be a great help, as well as all you kind research you listed in response to my query.

Thank you very much.....

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 6:52AM GMT
My name was Michael Chamberlain. I am the grandson of Margaret Marie Nye and Robert Yount. Margaret was a Whalen. I was born with no given name only that of Baby Boy born to Pamela Yount. I was then assigned the Chamberlain name growing up. I changed my name when I married the second time.
My grandmother passed away in 1990 in Pendleton, Oregon. The only relatives left are one daughter and several grandkids and great grandkids. Her brothers and sisters are all deceased. I do not know about there children.

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 12:17PM GMT
thanks for your reply. I have a Margaret Whalen married to an Everett Nye, so I assume that that is your grandmother.
If you are at all interested I have some photos of her father James Whalen's family, as well as a bit of family history.
James Whalen moved west from Allamakee Co., Iowa in the late 1800s, but there are still a number of his siblings and cousins descendants living back there, even on the home farm his mother purchased in 1856.

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 12:17PM GMT
thanks for your reply. I have a Margaret Whalen married to an Everett Nye, so I assume that that is your grandmother.
If you are at all interested I have some photos of her father James Whalen's family, as well as a bit of family history.
James Whalen moved west from Allamakee Co., Iowa in the late 1800s, but there are still a number of his siblings and cousins descendants living back there, even on the home farm his mother purchased in 1856.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions