Search for content in message boards

Name change in US

Name change in US

Posted: 8 Nov 2005 6:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Nov 2005 3:28PM GMT
Surnames: Hasselblad, Person
I'm wondering if anyone would know if anything was needed to be filed when an immigrant from Sweden changed his name once he landed in the US. Since there were no passports in 1873, I am at a loss to find the migration of our Hasselblad family from Sweden to Michigan. The rumor is that they had a painfully common name and changed it once in the US. I haven't been able to find John Hasselblad and his wife Maria Katerine Person (unsure of this spelling) who came to US around 1873 with at least three children, on any ships' lists. They were from Ertmark or Artmark (.. over the A) parish in Dalsland. John was born on 10 Feb 1845 and Maria in 1946.

Any ideas?

Re: Name change in US

Bo Nordenfors (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2005 8:08PM GMT
John (Johan) born 10 Febr. 1845 in Ärtemark parish, Älvsborg county. Father Johannes Jansson, mother Cajsa Olsdotter.
the old Swedish patronymicon system meant John got surname Johannesson (or shorter Johansson)
Source: Ärtemark C:4 (book of births) pg 29, (GID 719.6.23500) GID = Genline Id Nbr. comes from the churrch records online at www.genline.com (not free)
Suggest you put a new item to Älvsborg county asking for EMIBAS lookup - can also be put to General board, if you wish. EMIBAS is emigrant records on CD. If you have name and DOB and parish for birth it is a rather good chance someone can find it for you, thus you get the date when he left home parish. I have not searched for his wife yet.

Bo Nordenfors (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2005 8:16PM GMT
Maja Cajsa (short for Maria Catharina) Persdotter maybe is the wife, born 1 or 2 Sept 1846, Ärtemark parish, father Per Andersson and mother Catharina ?? (surname hard to read)
I am not 100% sure this is the wife, appears Maria Catharina is a rather common name in this region, but no doubt there is only one with father Per, thus surname Persdotter, in this parish for 1846.
You may add this to the new item for Emigrant records.

Posted: 8 Nov 2005 8:28PM GMT
Edited: 10 Mar 2006 3:32AM GMT
Bo and Annamari,

These people aren't on Emibas. I checked when Annamari wrote her message.

Emibas requests are fine on the General Sweden board. I own the cd and perhaps others on this board also own it. I"m more likely to check this General board. I do sometimes check the Älvsborg board, but since it is so inactive, I don't check often.

Judy

You two are wonderful!

Posted: 8 Nov 2005 10:20PM GMT
Judy and Bo,

Thank you so much. Everytime I post a question here it seems like you two end up giving me some new piece of the puzzle to figure out. Thank you so much! I'll try to look for US landing/passenger lists for the new name! Maybe a match!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic