Linda

Re: Patrick Sweeney

Posted: 22 May 2011 9:19AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Sweeney,
Date: March 27, 1921
Paper: Idaho Statesman
page 4 column 4

SWEENEY- Patrick Sweeney died at his home at 1911 North Eighteenth street, Saturday afternoon. He was 70 years of age and is survived by his wife. Mr. Sweeney was a pioneer of Idaho and came to Boise more than 40 years ago, but for the last 36 years has made his home in Pocatello. He was a watchman at the O.S. L. shops for 30 years and retired six years ago. He has made his home in Boise for the last two years. The body is at the Schreiber & Sidenfaden undertaking parlors where it may be viewed Sunday from 5 until 9 p.m. The remains will be taken to Pocatello Monday for burial.

A volunteer,
Eellitta

Posted: 22 May 2011 4:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sweeney
Eellitta

Hi. Thank you for the obit. I was hopping the obit would also tell about his life in Montana before he moved his family to Idaho. Do you know if there are any books with bio's on people in them. Is Pocatello in your county? If not I will ask in their county if they have a book with bio's in them. Thank you again
Linda

Posted: 22 May 2011 7:41PM GMT
I do not live in Idaho, though I am an Idaho girl.

When did he live in Montana? What did he do there?
Eellitta

Posted: 22 May 2011 7:45PM GMT
If you don't mind e-mailing me, I found some newspaper articles for a Patrick Sweeney in Montana prior to 1921. You would have to read them to ascertain if they are the Patrick Sweeney you are researching.

Eellitta
russetred@msn.com

Posted: 22 May 2011 8:47PM GMT
He was the first town marshall of Great Falls MT. This was in about 1888 - ?. He married Agnes Burke in Helena MT on May 15 1888. Might say they ran away to get married. Both lived in Great Falls. And in 1900 he was a deputy sheriff of Cascade County Mt living in Neihart MT. Great Falls is also in Cascade County.
Linda

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 1:35AM GMT
The Patrick Sweeney that married Agnes Burke and lived in MT was my great grand father. Interested to hear where you got your information. Thanks.

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 3:42PM GMT
Surnames: SWEENEY
Hello

Can you tell me which of Patrick Sweeney children you are related thru? Where do you live? I got the info off the census and the LDS Family Search site. Would like to talk with you about Mr. Sweenet. I have found more info since I posted.
Thanks
Linda in Montana

I am not related

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 4:02PM GMT
Mabel Sweeney Smith married to Walter Shoup Smith, settled finally in Washington DC. I live in MD. Was looking for the newspaper obit clipping of Sweeney's death last night and couldn't find it in my files so I started searching around on the internet. He and a guy named John Burke (I think his brother-in-law) had stakes in the Yogo saffire region in the early 1900's. YOu can find info on that fairly easily. They did eventually move to St. Maries, Idaho where my grandmother was married but I don't know what he did for a living there. Why were you interested if not related?

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: SWEENEY
Hello
This last July, I was in contact with Christine - whom is also the great grand daughter of Mable Smith. How are you related to her? Christine has information on Patrick Sweeney on Ancestry and that is how I found her and got in contact with her.

Patrick Sweeney was the first City Marshal/Chief of Police for Great Falls Montana. He died in Minnesota and I have his obit. If you would like, I can send a copy of it to you if you give me a name and address to send it.

I have been looking up the early day law officers in Great Falls. Because the police department's memorial page does not have many of the early day officer's on it, I was going to donate it to them. There is a couple of lines about him on there history page.

I had asked Christine if she knew of any photos of Patrick Sweeney but she didn't think so. Do you know of any? I would like to include one in with the information about Mr. Sweeney. Because the MT. State law museum was in Great Falls but closed a while ago - but said that they were opening when they found a larger place(the place they had in our shopping center was small!!) I was hoping to donate the info to them also.

ALso Mr. Sweeney was a member of the Cascade County Sheriff's office. While I was still working, I was talking to one of the deputies and he said that the office was compiling information about their past officers. So I was also going to get with them to see what they have on Mr. Sweeney, and donate what I have. I was also gong to check with the Chouteau County Sheriff and see if he was employed by them. We were part of Chouteau County before we were Cascade County.

I did find out a lot in interesting information on this family that I can share with you.

Linda

Great Falls Montana

galaxie63@bresnan.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions