Search for content in message boards

Frances CALHOUN m. Archibald HAMILTON in No. Ireland > Augusta Co. VA 1733

Frances CALHOUN m. Archibald HAMILTON in No. Ireland > Augusta Co. VA 1733

Jack Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2004 2:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jul 2004 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: Calhoun, Hamilton
I have an extensive geneaological history of the Hamilton family, and the Calhoun family has been connected with the Hamiltons for over 500 years. My ggggg grandmother was Frances Calhoun, who married Archibald Hamilton in Northern Ireland and came to America in 1733, settling in Augusta County,Virginia.

I have sources that refer to a book by Orvil(?) Calhoun that has a lot of Hamilton history in it. I would like to know where I can see a copy of this book.

I would also appreciate any information I can get that ties these 2 families together.

Re: Frances CALHOUN m. Archibald HAMILTON in No. Ireland > Augusta Co. VA 1733

H Gordon McRay (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2004 11:34PM GMT
Edited: 30 Aug 2004 5:13AM GMT
Surnames: Calhoun, Hamilton, Colquhoun, Baskin
Jack---Go to your nearest LDS Family History Center and order out film #896,933. This film contains a few genealogies, among which are the Calhouns, Hamiltons, Baskins and related families. I just looked at this film last week and it contains a nearly complete pedigree on the Hamiltons, beginning in Scotland and continuing on down to Northern Ireland and into the USA in the 1900's. The author is Rev. L. D. McPherson, and it was written in the early 1950's.
I am a long time researcher in the Colquhouns/Calhouns and agree that the Colquhouns have a quite lengthy relationship, but I don't know about that 500 years. However, I may have missed a marriage or two back in the 1500 area. Let me know on e-mail about that early connection.. I, too, am related to the Hamiltons in Ireland and Scotland, but I do not want to take on a new, very lengthy subject, such as the Hamiltons. I feel sure that you know of their origin in Normandy, France.

Posted: 25 Sep 2005 9:51PM GMT
Edited: 25 Apr 2006 8:42PM GMT
Surnames: Calhoun, Hamilton, Beard, Brooks, Brock, Utt, Hughes, Brownfield, Young, Costolo, Chriss
Jack-

I am a descendant of this very line, except through David (born 1715 who married Susannah Beard in 1740), whos son Robert is my gggggg grandfather.

I am desperate for links and/or help making the connection and am in possession of a LARGE collection of works done by three family genealogists who spent their entire lives compiling this tree.

I think it is a very valuable research tool, but need some assisstance in verifying some of it as this is an immense collection and has taken me months just to go through it.

Get in touch - I'd love to compare notes.

Sincerely,
Rachael Hamilton

Looking for info. on a Sarah BROOKS (BROCK) and Robert HAMILTON. Sarah was born 1760 in Frederick MD. She was the daughter of Jonathan BROOKS. Robert was born in 1754 in Ulster Ireland and emmigrated to the US on June 9, 1775 or thereabouts. He and Sarah married in 1785 in PA and had children one right after the other, then,
boom, no records. Here are there children and where they were born & a bit of their lineage:

Sarah Elizabeth Hamilton
F
1787 in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, United States
Married William Utt

Rose Hamilton
F
1789 in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, United States
Married Benjamin Hughes

James Henry Hamilton
M
29 Nov 1791 in Uniontown, Fayette, PA, USA
Married: Rebecca Brownfield
Birth: 1795 in Smithfield, Fayette, PA, USA
Death: 28 Sep 1865 in Evansville, Preston, WV, USA
They had:
Mary Hamilton
F
17 Apr 1814 in Evansville, Preston, WV, USA

Ellender Ann Hamilton
F
1821 in Evansville, Preston, WV, USA

David Brooks Hamilton
M
1793 in Uniontown, Fayette, Pennsylvania, United States
Married Sarah Elizabeth Young in 1841 in Nachez Miss.
they had:
Aaron Hamilton
M
28 Feb 1794 in Smithfield, Pennsylvania

David Hamilton
M

Garafelia Hamilton
F

William Watts Hamilton
M
08 Apr 1855 in LA, USA

Col. William Hamilton
M
07 Apr 1799 in Smithfield, [county], PA, USA
married Anne Amelia "Dutch" Brockmire
Birth: 5 May 1803 in Evansville, [county], VA, USA
Death: Oct 1887
They had:
Bryson Hamilton
M
1825 in Cheat Neck, [county], WV, USA

Melissa Hamilton
F
1825 in Cheat Neck, [county], WV, USA

Benjamin Hamilton
M
20 Jun 1804 in Smithfield, Pennsylvania, United States
married in 1830 to Isabelle Edwards
Birth: 24 Apr 1814 in New York
Death: 27 Jun 1894 in Missouri
they had:
Cpt. Jeremiah "Jerry" Hamilton
M
22 Jul 1831 in Bartholemew, Indiana

Aaron Hamilton
M
25 Nov 1833 in Indiana, United States

Charles Henry Hamilton
M
22 Feb 1836 in Indianapolis, Marion, IN, USA

Ann Hamilton
F
1837 in Indiana, United States

Mary Ann Hamilton
F
11 Feb 1838 in Bartholomew, Indiana

Robert Hamilton
M
25 Apr 1843 in Columbus, Johnson, Indiana,
who married; Surrilda Cornelia Jackson
Birth: 10 Jan 1852 in Des Moines, Polk, IA
Death: 17 Jan 1911
they had:
Martha O. Hamilton
F
1846 in Indiana, United States

Caroline Hamilton
F

Oscar Marion Hamilton
M
09 Jun 1850 in Wabash, Indiana

Ben Hamilton
M
11 May 1852 in Memphis, MO, USA

Elwood Hamilton
M
Jun 1859 in Memphis, Scotland, MO

John J. Hamilton
M
18 Feb 1809 in Smithfield, [county], PA, USA
married 08 Aug 1830: Matilda Costolo
Birth: 13 Dec 1811
Death: 1887 in Grafton, Bluemont Cemetary, WV, USA

Robert Hamilton Jr.
M
1811 in Smithfield, [county], PA, USA
married 1830 in Morgantown, WV to:
Matilda Criss Chriss
Birth:
Death:

I am looking for burial place, death date and all records pertaining to Robert Hamilton's Revolutionary War records.

Here's what else I think I know: Robt. was born 8, Aug.
1754 in Ulster, Northern Ireland. Immigrated to the US in June of 1775 with brothers (who also served):

Aaron Jason Hamilton, enlisted in Colonial Army & in
1776 transferred to the Light Horse Calvery under General Harry Lee.

James Henry Hamilton, enlisted in 10th Pennsylvania Line troops with Robert. James Henry was promoted to Lt. Col. Robert was thought to have attained the commission of Captain (brevetted?). Thought to have served in the 10th Pennsylvania Regiment
(Majors company). He was thought to have attained Major on 9 May 1780. After the war, he
>married Sarah Brooks (daughter of Jonathan Brooks, a Commissioner in Philadelphia County, PA during and after the war). Robert and Sarah
settled in Pennsylvania and had 9-11 children. Moved to Cheat Neck region in West Virginia (then the state of Virginia) in ca. 1812 or after. Moved to Scotch Hill region (VA or PA?) where it is thought that wife Sarah was buried.

Robert's death date is unconfirmed and largely
unknown at this point. I know there was a Robert Hamilton who served during these times, I just need to know if it is MY Robert Hamilton.

I'd be happy to share the rest of what I have with fellow searchers if any of this happens to match you! I have lots and lots on each of these lines and related lines.

Jack Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2005 11:52PM GMT
Edited: 26 Sep 2005 7:59AM GMT
Surnames: Calhoun, Hamilton
I have the complete line from Audley Harrison Hamilton to my generation. But the David connection, I do not have. Archibald left Northern Ireland in 1733, before your robert was married.
You might locate a copy of the book-Calhoun,Hamilton,Baskin, and related Families by Lewin D. McPherson. It has a world of information on our family, and it might include some info you need.If you have ever used the Mormon website,Family Search,org, they can send a microfilm copy of the book to your area sp you can read it. It is also in about 30 large livrarues in the country also.
The Familysearch.org is a great source of information, and it is free.
Sorry I can't help more.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions