Search for content in message boards

Lee Family of Paradise 1920-1930's

Lee Family of Paradise 1920-1930's

Posted: 8 Apr 2009 2:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lee, Slyder, Casper, Vincent
Looking for descendants of John Spurgeon & Jane Vincent Lee. Jane is listed on 1920 & 1930's census in Paradise with the following children: Ernest E. (listed as mail carrier); William, John B., Arthur J., Clell, and Dale. The boys were either working in mines or also listed as "hunters".

I have pictures that I would like to get back to the family. My grandfather, who lived in Whitewater/Elfrida, also was a hunter and these pictures were in his possession.

Dale Darrell Lee md. Lois Slyder in 1947 - he died 1988 in Tucson area. Clell md. Katharine Casper in 1955 - he died 1981 in Blue, Greenlee Co. Ernest married Bertha and had daughter, Gail (listed on 1930 census).

Would appreciate any contacts.

Re: Lee Family of Paradise 1920-1930's

Posted: 9 Apr 2009 3:44PM GMT
Surnames: Lee, Spurgeon
Marti, Pat here.(I've lost you're private addy.) John is buried in the Rodeo Cemetery http://www.hidalgocountynewmexico.org/cemrodeo.html if that helps any and, there are Spurgeon's all over SW New Mexico and some still in Cochise County. I can't find any that know of a relation named John Spurgeon Lee.

Pat Bennett

Posted: 9 Apr 2009 5:09PM GMT
Surnames: Lee, Spurgeon
Hi Pat...Thanks for the info. on John S. Lee. With all the boys that he and Jane had, I would have thought there would be lots of descendants but so far, I haven't found any. I have some other questions for you..and I don't have your private e-mail either.

mine is
martiroe at pacbell.net

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 4:39PM GMT
My dad (Clarence Lyall) was friends of the Lee brothers as a youngster. I remember visiting Clell on Blue River in the early 1970's. He had married a woman who owned a ranch there. Also, Dale had a place just North of Hannigan's Meadow so both were living in Greenlee County at that time. Don't know if either had children. Maybe someone could check Greenlee County probate records etc. for next of kin.

If you don't locate any relatives, you might consider donating the pictures to the Cochise County Historical Society as the Lee brothers were very famous hunters in their day.

Posted: 12 Apr 2009 2:35AM GMT
Surnames: Lee
Thanks for the information. Clell was the youngest or one of the younger boys and I think he married a lady named Katherine. I posted a query on the Greenlee message board as well but haven't had any replies.

I wasn't aware that Dale lived in Greenlee Co. so that's another clue. I think that my grandfather, who was born in 1890, was probably friends with the oldest boys, Ernest, William and John since they were about grandpa's age.

I see your username is bisbeelyall - were you born in Bisbee or do you live there? I was born there in 1941 although we lived in Elfrida. Some of my usernames are Bisbee41 or Cochise1941.

I'm still hoping to locate descendants - especially of the older boys but they may have not had many kids.

Thanks again for the update.

Posted: 12 Apr 2009 12:59PM GMT
Hi,
I am not a family member but Dale was very active in the company that I now work for, Tri-Tronics, Inc. Dale worked with the owner to develop some of the first huntinge dog E-collars on the market.
If you cannot find family members and there are any photos of Dale with his dogs I would love to have them to add the the photo history or our company.

Posted: 12 Apr 2009 2:04PM GMT
Born and raised in Morenci and Clifton. My mom went to school in Bisbee and my dad worked underground there. I live along Banning Creek just west of Bisbee. I'd like to correspond further with you as my great-greats were some of the first inhabitants of Soldier's Hole (El Freida area). My email is bisbee.lyall@gmail.com.

Your original post listed Clell's wife as a "Casper." That was most likely "Cosper" which was a big ranching family in the White Mountains in the late 1800s and later.

You might try calling Jo Lunt, president of the Greenlee County Historical Society. I have her personal phone numbers if you email me.

Posted: 23 May 2009 2:08AM GMT
Surnames: NOLAND LEE
Hello, my name is Phyllis Noland I hunted with Clell and Dale Lee and my father William Van Noland..would love to see some pictures of them...They stayed at our ranch house when they hunted in the CherryCows, sorry can't spell the name of the mountains where we live south of San Simon. I would like to also help you find the kin as I live close to where they lived in Young, Arizona...Thanks, Phyllis pk1@npgcable.com

Posted: 25 May 2009 2:14AM GMT
Phyllis, I have 3 pictures - however, two of them are of the hound dogs which I think they were trying to sell to my grandfather as on the back of one picture it has the names of the dogs plus ages and descriptions. I'm assuming that the 3rd picture is also one of the Lee boys because the
picture size & format is exactly the same as the two dog pictures plus there are also hounds in the picture and skins hanging on the barn. Ernest Lee signed the two dog pictures but nothing is written on the 3rd.

I located Clell's step-daughter who lives in Blue, AZ and she gave me another contact. I was able to get in contact with a great-nephew of Dale Lee and he sent me a picture of 4 of the Lee brothers and if you would like me to forward that, I can. The great-nephew (Mike) is compiling a hunting history on the Lee brothers so if anyone else has information, I'm sure he would like it.
I will e-mail the pictures to you at your e-mail address.

The mountains are spelled like the Chiricahua Apache Indians. I'm from Elfrida and am very familiar with Sulphur Spring Valley and outlying areas and have a great interest in the history of any place in Cochise County.

Posted: 25 May 2009 2:31AM GMT
I've located a great-nephew of Dale's who lives in Washington. He is compiling a hunting history of the Lee brothers so I will probably send the originals to him - however, I will be glad to e-mail you copies. Mike, the great-nephew, also sent me a picture of 4 of the Lee brothers. I'm sure Mike would like to hear from you since he's preserving pictures and stories. E-mail me at
martiroe at pacbell.net and I will give you his name, phone number and e-mail address.

I just posted a reply to Phyllis Noland who responded to my query - so you might want to follow the rest of the conversations on the Lee Family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions