Search for content in message boards

Gay Family Tree

Gay Family Tree

Phillip Marr (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2004 9:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandfather was Leonard Sloan Gay who was born October 27, 1873 in Columbus Georgia. His family moved to Elmore County, Alabama because he married Elizabeth Church March 20, 1896. His father was William F. Gay who was born January 1850 in Georgia. He married Annie Josephine (Joey, Josie) no last name given, who was born October 1850. William and his wife moved to Elmore County, Alabama at some unknown date and both died there sometime after 1910. William and Josephine’s children include: Leonard, William R., Annie B, Arthur, Jessie G., and Birdie Gay. I am trying to trace this line of the Gay family back as far as I can and would appreciate any information that will help me. Thank you, Phillip

Re: Gay Family Tree

Audrey Conner (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2004 1:24PM GMT
Surnames: Gay
Do you have any idea what county William F. Gay was born in GA?

Posted: 28 Oct 2004 2:05PM GMT
I am researching the Gay's too, but this is not my line of Gay's. I do have a little information for you. In 1880 William and Josephine was in Thomasville, Thomas county Georgia.Found them on 1880 Census. I think William was the son of Richardson Gay. Richardson Gay and family was in Harris county Georgia on 1850 Census, Richardson Gay was still in Harris county in 1860 census. In 1870 census, Richardson was in Ala. census(Macon County) In 1880 census, Richardson was back in Harris county Georgia, living with son Thomas Gay.Richardson Gay married Sarah Talley onJan. 12 1841 in Troup County Georgia. As for William F Gay, he married Josephine Johnson in Harris County Ga. on Dec. 12 1872.I do not have down right proof, but I think that Richardson Gay was the son of Jordan Gay. I have a little information on Jordan Gay. Jordan Gay was born about 1785 in north Carolina, He died about 1852 in Coosa County Ala.
Jordan Gay married Rebecca Richardson( born about 1794 in georgia. Maybe some of this information will help you. I had all this information and was hoping to tie it into my husband's family tree, but no luck yet.
Have a good Day
Ernestine Gay

SALLIE QUICK (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2004 3:04PM GMT
Surnames: Gay - Marks (Markes)
Dear Ernestine. I have been reading your 'Gay board' messages but my Gays are in North Carolina . Finally, today you mentioned NC and although I don't have the name Jordan born around 1785 in N.C. but that doesn't mean he didn't fall off my family tree and run to Georgia....Did you see his NC county or town? I am trying to 'chase' my family back to England and at the moment I would be thrilled if someone else with a 'genealogy shevel' would help me with my 'digging for the past'. Jordan is not in my 'direct' line but he could (or not) be a brother to my Jonathan. They could have come to NC from England together and Jordan left but Jonathan stayed in NC. (I know this isn't your branch of Gays so thanks a million!!)
Sallie

Posted: 29 Oct 2004 4:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2005 3:31PM GMT
Surnames: Gay, Richardson
After reading Ernestine's message, I did a little checking and found a Jordan Gay who was born about 1785 in Franklin, North Carolina. He married Rebecca Richardson about 1815. He died September 9, 1853 in Coosa County Alabama. Rebecca is listed as being born in 1792 in Georgia and died sometime after 1860 in Georgia. Richardson Gay is listed as having married a second time to Martha Elkins on June 28, 1880 in Paris or Harris County, Georgia. Without all the legal documents to validate the information, we go with what we have. I hope the above gives you something to work with. Phillip.

Posted: 29 Oct 2004 4:14PM GMT
Edited: 18 Feb 2005 6:00PM GMT
Good Morning: By now you have probably read Ernestine's posting about William F. Gay and others. Her information was extremely helpful in adding more branches to the tree. Like many people, I waited almost too long to start on my family tree. Well, let's hope the information keeps coming. Phillip

Posted: 30 Oct 2004 12:37AM GMT
Phillip, you are right. Richardson Gay did have a second wife. I dusted off my files and came across a few more things.
I also have Jordan Gay as being born in Franklin, N.C. Also
came across information that another researcher gave me a
few years ago. She had listed Jordan Gays parents as
Joshua Gay born about 1763 in Northampton, N. C. and Sallie
Brown.( She was not sure if the name was Brown,) born about 1770. Hope this can help. Also have you looked on the web page"The Gay family Geneology Exchange.? The way I found it, was I typed it in the search browser of my computer.
There is alot of information on the Gays, plus you can go to some of other Gay researchers web pages. And some of them have information about the Gays in North Caroline

Ernestine Gay

pat (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2004 3:00PM GMT
What part of NC did your Gay family live in? My family were in Halifax County, NC in 1820 and went to Nash County, NC from there.
Pat
nels095@attglobal.net

Posted: 1 Nov 2004 5:21PM GMT
I have two listings for my Gay ancestors in North Carolina: Jordan Gay, about 1785 Franklin, North Carolina and his father, Joshua Gay 1763 in Northhampton N.C. That is all I have at present. Phillip

Posted: 8 Nov 2004 8:45PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2006 10:57AM GMT
Ernestine: do you show a Wesley Columbus Gay m. Lula Parish or his parents Billie Gay m. Martha Radford. They were in Jefferson County Ga to my knowledge. Thanks!
Kathy
summerkgw@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions