Search for content in message boards

"Exact Search" in Old Search not working in US Census 1900, 1910

"Exact Search" in Old Search not working in US Census 1900, 1910

Posted: 26 Nov 2011 6:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
It's acknowledged there would be no new function/improvements on *Old Search*.

An "exact search" performed in both the US FED 1900 and 1910 Census is returning no results. This has been occurring since about Nov 22.

Would someone kindly explain if this is a glitch and will be fixed, or is it a planned effort to render Old Search useless bit by bit?

Re: "Exact Search" in Old Search not working in US Census 1900, 1910

Posted: 27 Nov 2011 3:47PM GMT
I obviously can't speak for ancestry.com with respect to their intentions for Old Search. But I just did an exact search for given name "john" and surname "smith" with no other parameters for the 1900 U.S. Census, using both Old Search and New Search. Both Old Search and New Search had 31,844 matches. So Old Search seems still to be working as it should.

Jerry

Posted: 27 Nov 2011 4:43PM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2011 4:46PM GMT
Try an exact search with something more than the name, a location, for example. As BobNY states on another thread, this worked prior to Nov 22.

Some examples of the "exact" glitch in the function can be found on these threads.

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.ancestry.ancsite/11679/mb....

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.ancestry.ancusc/2877/mb.as...

Someone just posted this AM they were having problems with exact search in the 1900 US Census and posted a pic of it. That search was performed in New Search.

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.ancestry.ancsite/11682/mb....

Re: "Exact Search" in Old Search not working in US Census 1900, 1910 when State specified

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 2:46PM GMT
The posts and discussion on this in other threads point out that the problem is when one specifies the State identity. If you don't specify a State, but do enter a town or township or other locality, it works. For the time being.

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 5:28PM GMT
Hi all,

Sorry for the issue. I will post here when I have a better idea when we'll have the problem resolved, but wanted to let you know we are aware of the issue and are investigating it.

As mentioned elsewhere on the boards, it appears to be associated with the State field in 1900 and 1910 US Federal censuses only. You can enter county and city/township (without state) and be okay. You can also enter in State in the keyword field, which will help narrow down results until we get this fixed.

John
Ancestry
Search Product Team

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 6:51PM GMT
Edited: 29 Nov 2011 7:13PM GMT
I'm finding this glitch has migrated to the US 1870, 1880 Census as well.

The "work-around", leaving out the State, but including a county and/or town city, does produce results.

UPDATE:

Search with "state" in the 1880 Census works today (29 Nov), the 1870, 1900, 1910 still do not.

Posted: 2 Dec 2011 7:48PM GMT
Re: "Someone just posted this AM they were having problems with exact search in the 1900 US Census..."

You can see in the picture that the places listed on the first record are for birth location, NOT residence location. If you click into the listing you will see the residency is in Texas as you specified in your search.

It does bring up a good question as to why residency is not being shown on the results page. I'll look into that with my team.

John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions