Search for content in message boards

1911 & 1916 ALBERTA, CANADA CENSUS -- STRATHCONA DISTRICT??

1911 & 1916 ALBERTA, CANADA CENSUS -- STRATHCONA DISTRICT??

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 8:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SCHROEDER
I found 2 related German from Russia Schroeder families on the 1906 Alberta census, in the Strathcona District 38A. On p 14, ln 32-39, hse # 131 -- there is Godfred/Fredrick & Matilda "Tillie" Schroeder & on p 15, ln 1-4, hse # 133 -- there is Jacob & Magdalena "Lena" Schroeder, both families are living with their children on section 36, TWP 41, Range 3, Meridian 5W.
Assuming they remained on the land, can anyone point me to the correct subdistricts for the 1911 Census images on Automated Genealogy.com & the 1916 Census (browsable) images on Familysearchlabs.org?
Thanks very much from Oregon, USA

Re: 1911 & 1916 ALBERTA, CANADA CENSUS -- STRATHCONA DISTRICT??

Posted: 19 Jan 2009 9:21PM GMT
Searching the Western Land Grants, finds Jacob and Gottfried SCHROEDER section 36. Twp 41, Range 3, W5.
This would be about 10 miles west of Rimbey.

The Master Surname Index (not online) (mostly burials in Alberta cemeteries) of the Alberta Genealogical Society lists some 80 SCHROEDER names, but do not seem to connect to your families.

Someone else may be able to tell about the 1911 Census.

For further research please contact the AGS Research Services Committee of the Edmonton Branch,
http://abgensoc.ca/
Peter

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 9:46AM GMT
Surnames: SCHROEDER, TRAUTMAN, BACHMAN
Dear Peter,
The Germans from Russia had large families, but not all those graves belong to my relatives, I'm sure!
Yes, Jakob & Gottfried/Friedrich "Fred" are 2 of my paternal grandfather's brothers... I finally found that Fred had a different wife, Christina, born Apr 1876, for the 1911 census. They apparently had a couple of mutual kids under 2 yrs old back in the USA, then returned to Red Deer & also brought along 3 stepchildren -- a Willie Trautman (b Sep 1896) & Eddie (b Oct 1898) & Sophia (b Feb 1901) Bachman, all born USA.
Using these names, I found Fred & Christina in the 1916 Census, again in Red Deer, but under "Schneider". Now Will Trautman is listed as a nephew. Fred's daughter Mary's husband was a Bill Trautman... Is this how they met, I wonder?
Now where did Jakob & Lena disappear to in 1916?...

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 9:47PM GMT
Taking a bit of time trying to figure which name belongs to which surmame.

The AGS Master Index has some 60 TRAUTMAN's and those SCHRODER's are mostly in the Stoney Plain and Spruce Grove areas. But then I also found these.

William Peter TRAUTMAN, 2 Sep 1890 - 22 Oct 1988 (born Fairfax S Dakota) in the Mount Auburn cemetery Rimbey.
Mary Frances TRAUTMAN, 4 Dec 1903 - 15 Feb 1988 in the Alto-Rest Memorial Gardens Red Deer.

What are the dates for Fred & Christina SCHNEIDER?

Peter

Posted: 8 Feb 2009 8:33PM GMT
Surnames: GRUENEICH, SCHROEDER/SCHRAEDER. BACHMAN, ODENBACH, TRAUTMAN
Found some more info on the intertwined Grueneich-Schroeder-Odenbach-Bachman-Trautman links & am awaiting more info from another researcher.
Found in the Boyd Cty, NE, USA on-line Marriage Index (1880s - 1949), an entry -- BACHMAN, Henry married on 08 Nov 1897 in Boyd cty, NE to TRATMAN [S/B TRAUTMAN -- KMC]
Odenbach C, Bk 1, p 126.
Christina now appears to have had 3 husbands -- 1) XXXX Trautman; 2) Henry BACHMAN; 3) Gorfred/Fredrick SCHROEDER/SCHRAEDER! KMC
PS -- Fred & Christina s/b SCHROEDER/SCHRAEDER, not Schneider, (it appears to be indexing misreading of the handwriting, since the first hump belongs to the "h" & the "r" is the "half-r", like those that follow "b").
per page

Find a board about a specific topic