Search for content in message boards

Shipyard Rd cemetery

Shipyard Rd cemetery

Craig Sawyer (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sawyer, Pritchard, Cartwright
I'm looking for any informtion about a family cemetery about a 1/2 a mile down Shipyard Rd in camden county, i had an old relative that told me that that was my family's grave yard along time ago, there are maybe 10 graves, i have only been back threr once, but i'm trying to find a civil war ancestor, but i'm not having much luck, i know that some of the names are John N. Sawyer, William D. Pritcahrd, and there are some Cartwrights. if anyone has any info on these names please tell me. John and William would have been about the right age to fight in the war.

Re: Shipyard Rd cemetery

Posted: 20 Mar 2005 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: Coombs, Hill, Skilling, Anderson. Blake Booth Snow Poore
Hi I am a Sawyer from NYState , MY family were in ME. Years ago. The name s you mentioned are farmiliar, but william is a well used name. I have heard of Camden many tines in my searching , Where is it?I had a GGGrandfather named William Sawyer he lived on Vinal haven, Portland ,etc all over ME area. my family has the ocean in there vains and are all artist, does this help?Is your family so inclined ?
Sincerly Janet Sawyer Michel
Jjm28533@aol.com

Posted: 24 Nov 2009 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: John N. Sawyer
Craig, I have been to the graveyard you are looking for and help remove debris and overgrowth from it a few years ago. It is on a lot owned by a young couple who don't mind people visiting the graveyard. It is called the "Sawyer Graveyard". John N. Sawyer is buried there who was married to my G. G. Grandmother's sister. A large plantation home is across the woods from the graveyard and it is called "Milford Plantation" registered on the national historical register, the oldest 2 story brick house in N.C. John N Sawyer and his wife owned and lived at Milford as well as my G. G. G Grandfather William D. Pritchard in his later years. He is buried there as well. I have an list of graves in the cemetery if you want it I can try and scan it for you. I think there are many more graves than on the list. Ed

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 10:18PM GMT
Surnames: Grice
I can't find much on the Internet about Milford other than a few pictures.
One set of pictures did say that Milford was also called Grice House.

In the Arcola-Roseland Cemetery in Arcola, Tangipahoa, Louisiana is the grave of a man named Warren Ashley Grice.
His tombstone clearly says that he was born at Milford, Camden County, NC on 30 Nov 1816.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=62...
Is(was) there a town named Milford or is the tombstone referring to the plantation?

Posted: 18 Feb 2011 12:26AM GMT
VERLORENSEELE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. THAT INFORMATION IS VERY INTERESTING AND I WILL PASS IT ON TO OTHERS I KNOW INTERESTED IN MILFORD'S HISTORY. MILFORD IS CURRENTLY UP FOR SALE AND IS LISTED BY A REAL ESTATE COMPANY. CHARLES GRICE WAS A LARGE LANDOWNER IN PASQUOTANK AND CAMDEN COUNTIES AND OWNED THE HOUSE NOW CALLED MILFORD PLANTATION. HE CAME FROM PHILADELPHIA PA. I HAVEN'T READ HOW IT GOT IT'S NAME. THE STYLE OF CERTAIN FEATURES OF THE HOUSE ARE NORMALLY NOT SEEN SOUTH OF DELAWARE I BELIEVE IS WHAT I READ ABOUT IT. I MET AND TALKED WITH A PRIOR OWNER OF MILFORD, WHO OWNED IT FROM THE EARLY 1960'S TO UNTIL RECENTLY.

Posted: 18 Feb 2011 12:35AM GMT
VERLORENSEELE, I DIDN'T ANSWER ONE OF YOUR QUESTIONS. THERE IS NO TOWN NAMED MILFORD IN THE AREA. THE ONLY MILFORD I KNOW OF IS THE PLANTATION HOUSE.

Posted: 9 Jul 2011 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: GRICE, SAWYER
I have noticed that this same cemetery near Camden, NC goes by several different names: Milford Cemetery, Sawyer Cemetery, Shipyard Cemetery, but I believe they are all the same cemetery nearby the Grice House, aka Milford House and Relfe-Grice-Sawyer House located at 154 Shipyard Road. I am interested in the list of the people buried at this cemetery. Can you send me what you have? My main area of research is the Charles Grice who originally built it and his wife (wives) and descendants.
I also noticed that the Grice-Fearing house in Elizabeth City, NC was built by a Grice, but I have seen conflicting information as to whether it was built by Charles Grice or Francis Grice. I have found detailed information on the internet showing both. Any further info would be appreciated

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 1:16AM GMT
Yes I think you are right about the names, being the same graveyard. I have tried attaching a file of the graveyard names to this message, but no luck, which caused my delay answering your message. The earliest grave listed is for a Maggie Sawyer died 3 Sept. 1865 to give you some idea of the period of burials. I also have a history of the Milford Plantation. It was typed on an old typewriter 4 pages and is a very poor copy, but there is information about deed, liens, wills, etc on this property starting with a Capt. Thomas Relfe in 1696 (including details of Charles Grice, mortgages, etc)coming forward to the owners of record in the 1960's. If you are interested in either or both of the 2 items, send me an email address and I will send it to you or if you have another idea let me know. Best I can do. Ed

Posted: 13 Aug 2011 3:07AM GMT
Surnames: Grice, Sawyer, Relfe, Milford
Absolutely YES I would definitely like a copy of what you have on this house.

Please send it to ladielain@yahoo.com

Thank you very much!

Elaine Bell

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 11:49PM GMT
House was not built by Grice. It dates to 1746!
I am the current owner & I have conflicting information the homes linage.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic