Search for content in message boards

Steinbacher

Steinbacher

Arne Steinbacher (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Steinbacher, Steinbach
Looking for the descendants of John and Lewis Steinbacher. They came about 1870 to Lycoming County. Does anyone know from where in Germany they came?

Greetings from Germany!

Arne Steinbacher

Steinbacher

steve in MD (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Steinbacher
Arne --

My great great grandfather was one of the earliest parishoners of the Immaculate Conception Church, founded ca 1838 by the Rev. Nicholas Steinbacher, S. J. A successor pastor recorded the families of the parish through the 1850's. I will post an image of family 92, that of John Theodore Steinbacher, in a direct e-mail to you since images aren't accepted in this format. If this is valuable information to you, there are additional Steinbacher pages in the church records that could be provided.

I wonder if you could provide me with any information on Nicholas. He also founded St. John's in Pottsville, PA prior to Immaculate Conception.

Here is the first paragraph on the Founder from the Centennial Souvenir book of 1938:

REV. NICHOLAS STEINBACHER S. J.
Founder of Parish
The founder and leader of this colony was the Reverend Father Nicholas Steinbacher, S. J. He was most likely born in Kleinbittendorf, Amt Saarbrucken, Rhein-Prussia, Germany, where his two brothers were born. He was the son of John Steinbacher and Mary Chauvin. The facts about his life known to the writer begin with the year 1833, when he became associated with Reverend Father Bally, S. J. at Goschen-Hoppen. Father Steinbacher visited the outlying missions and the scattered Catholic families throughout northeastern Pennsylvania. On October 11, 1835, he was deacon of the Mass and preached the sermon at the dedication of the church in Goschen-Hoppen. He also was present at the confirmation in Milton in September, 1837. About this time there were three Catholic families in Nippenose Valley. Perhaps at this time he visited these families and so became acquainted with the "Valley." Whatever the cause of his first visit to the Valley, the next year, April 13, 1838, he bought 414¼ acres for $250. The following month, May 14, 1838, he sold fifty acres of this land for $31 to Francis Joseph and Mathias Harter. In July of the same year he sold to Michael and Jacob Zuber each 25 acres for $18.75. The next July he bought two more tracts of land which were sold in the early forties to several people, among them his two brothers and a nephew. In all he sold about 1,200 acres at an average price of a dollar an acre and 20 acres were deeded on August 19, 1853 to Bishop Neuman of Philadelphia, for the use of the parish. The profit from the sales of the land was used in founding the mission.

Steinbacher

Posted: 6 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 12:04PM GMT
Surnames: Steinbacher, Miller
Steve,

By chance is your relative related to the Steinbachers from the Williamsport, Pa (Lycoming Co. Area) and the Steinbachers in Duboistown? I am the granddaughter of Mary Steinbacher and William F. Miller. My father was named after Mary's father, Robert Steinbacher, who is buried in Wildwood cemetary. He passed in 1955 I believe. His wife was Anne if I have the name correct. Have been trying to trace some of the family but they are very tight lipped and after a falling out with my father, they refuse to give me any information in my quest. Could you be of any assistance or is this a different family? Have also been told, several months ago, that the Steinbacher family has some connection to a family with the surname of Egg or Egge? Any ideas? Thanks a bunch,Betsy

Steinbach(er)-Ottenmiller

Posted: 25 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 4:08PM GMT
Surnames: Steinbach, Steinbacher, Ottenmiller, Allen, Moon, Hoefler, Pringle, Brimm, Walters, Menikhiem or, Minikheim, Kubacki, Austin
John Steinbach married Elizabeth Ottenmiller
Children (born in Williamsport, Lycoming Co., PA)were:
Archie P. Steinbach born 29 June, 1889 died Aug 1974
Walter Charles Steinbach
Robert George Steinbach born 28 Sept 1896 died 28 Apr, 1974

Archie P. married
Francis L. Allen(born 23 Nov, 1890 died Apr 1987 Syracuse, Onondaga Co., NY)
Children(all born In Syracuse, NY):
Jack, Betty, Arlene

I am looking for info on John Steinbach(er) and Elizabeth Ottenmiller. It is believed the Steinbach(er)s were Penn. Dutch???
Thank you in advance for ANY new info to continue on with!!!
Suzy Kubacki

Hopfer and other variations

Posted: 3 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2001 1:54PM GMT
Surnames: Hopfer, Hopher, Hoffer, Hofer, Hopper, Hoefler
The truth is, I could go on and on with the variations of my maiden name, but I was wondering if you would be willing to look for a Jacob Hopfer (or any Jacob or Peter Hoefler in your tree.)

Peter is my great, great grandfather, and I cannot find his parents. I believe there is a good chance that his father's name was Jacob, but I have no proof.

Ronalee (Hopfer) Schall
Posted: 4 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2001 1:54PM GMT
Surnames: Hopfer's
Hi Suzy -

Oh yes - I've seen lots of variations of my maiden name on the various census'. Mine, so far, are originating in Lycoming, Sullivan and Northumberland counties.

My great, great grandfather was Peter Bert Hopfer. He was born in the 'town' of Northumberland and at age 7 (for some unknown reason) was with James Glidewell. We believe that the Glidewell's finished raising him, and this has made it especially difficult to trace him prior to 1860. His tombstone says that he was born September 6, 1828, but other sources, including the various census' have different ages for him. It is all very difficult and frustrating at times! :)

Thanks for responding.
bsrs1@epix.net

Ronalee

Hopfer, Hoefler, and variations

Posted: 4 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 4:08PM GMT
Surnames: Hoefler, Moon, Pringle, Brimm, Allen, Steinbach, Steinbacher, Menikheim, Minikheim, Kubacki
Hi Ronalee,
Are yours from Lycoming Co. PA? I haven't made a connection yet. My Hoefler line seemed to stay put in Onondaga Co., NY.
Here's what I can give you.
Bertha(Betty)Brimm(B.20 Jan 1892 D.March 1985-Syracuse,Onondaga Co., NY) married Carl Hoefler(unknown dates/places). They had Arthur Perry Hoefler(B.14 Aug 1912 D.26 June 1983-Syracuse, NY) and Patricia Hoefler.
Arthur married Marguerite May Moon. They were my grandparents.
My mom once told me that a Hoefler family member owned "Hoefler Haberdashery" on Salina St, Syracuse, NY.
Haven't found proof on-line yet. Another story I was told is that a Perry(line of famous Oliver Hazard) female married a Hoefler. Definatly not made THAT one yet.
I wish I could make more connections to more Hoefler's looking for their ancestry. Not too many, sad, huh? Maybe I need to start looking at the variations too!
I'm going to try to post this to the Hoefler queries too. Let's stay in contact there. Best of luck to you!
Suzy
rjstudio@dreamscape.com

Re: Steinbach(er)-Ottenmiller

Posted: 5 Nov 2001 2:50PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2002 12:53PM GMT
Could you help me info on your Austin connection?
I have:
Moses and Sarah Austin, Venango Co. Scrubgrass Twp.
1800 census, 1804 land purchase, and 1806 WILL of Moses.
Children:
Mary Davidson
Aaron Austin, M: Hannah Doty abt 1801
Hiley Leonard
Charlotte Austin
Looking for relation or info on this family.

Re: Steinbacher

Posted: 24 Mar 2002 6:53PM GMT
Hi,
Did you ever find out the information on Egge that you were looking for? I would love to help if I can. I have Egge info from Pennsylvania (mostly). Let me know.

Re: Steinbacher

Posted: 2 Feb 2004 3:09AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 19 Feb 2014 2:47PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions