Search for content in message boards

NAME ORIGIN

NAME ORIGIN

JAMES E. CLEVENGER (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2000 5:07PM GMT
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE NAME CLEVENGER IS: IRISH, WELSH, GERMAN, etc..

IF ANY ONE CAN POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, OR CAN ID THE ORIGINS/NATIONALITY I WILL BE GREATEFUL

Clevenger Name Origin

Duane Harlow Clevenger (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2000 4:03PM GMT
see message for Name Origin posted on 7-28-00.
Want to add to that an article I found among "my stuff". The earliest Clevenger recorded went with William the Conqueror(1027-1087) across the english channel . Clevenger's show in Wales Ireland in the early 1400's. The name Clevenger is derived from the occupation,Clavis, Key and Gerer-to-bear-Key Bearer, would correspond with today a treasurer. They have a Coat of Arms red, blue, gold green. In America, the earliest Clevenger was John who was in New York about 1695.
Hope this information helps. Please respond. We just recently got our computer and we are really excited to look up family history. We live in North Carolina....where are you?

William the Conqueror

Donna Cook (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2000 1:33PM GMT
Where did you find this info. I'm very interested. I had a note saying that the Clevengers were "Holders of the Weapons", so any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

John Clevenger

Don Carson (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2000 6:49PM GMT
I live in Bolingbrook Il.I am a direct decendent of George Clevenger Ny 1654.His father is John Clevenger from England 1633 his mother is Mary unknown.My mother was Vivian Clevenger.I would like to hear from you soon.828 Poplar Lane,

John Clevenger, 1633

Ty Clevenger (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2000 12:28AM GMT
John Clevenger, b. 1633 in England, is as far back as anyone has traced the Clevengers in the U.S., last I heard. Please let me know whether anyone has successfully traced back further in England. Thanks.

Re: John Clevenger

bill clevenger (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2001 8:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi John
I just read this querie on the net.
Do you have information that connects all the dots between you and George Clevenger????

I am trying to link Elias Clevenger (1764) to his father and grandfather

Author: Don Carson Date: 17 Oct 2000 12:49 PM
In Reply to: Clevenger Name Origin by: Duane Harlow Clevenger
Post Reply | Mark Unread | Report Abuse Print Message
I live in Bolingbrook Il.I am a direct decendent of George Clevenger Ny 1654.His father is John Clevenger from England 1633 his mother is Mary unknown.My mother was Vivian Clevenger.I would like to hear from you soon.828 Poplar Lane,

Re: Clevenger Name Origin

April Clevenger-McVey (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2006 10:04AM GMT
I think your posting on the origin of Clevenger is great. Clevenger is my maiden name. I have always wondered what the origin of my last name meant. My Family I think originates from the Texarkana,Texas/Arkansas/ New boston Texas area, at least thats what I have been told. Well anyways just wanted to say thanks for your info

Re: NAME ORIGIN

Posted: 28 Jun 2007 12:04PM GMT
Surnames: Clevenger Klevenz
late to this thread... but hopefully other people are reading it too... I am helping a firend with his genealogy... His surname is Klevenz... originating in Alsace-Lorraine a French and German border area... have any Clevengers found links to this name or region?

Posted: 11 Jul 2007 1:56AM GMT
The surname Klevenz (Klefenz) can be found in the villages of Rauenberg, Malsch and Sankt Leon. These towns are in Baden between Heidelberg and Karlsruhe. Prior to Napoleon they were in the Bishopric of Speyer and thus the residents were mostly Catholic.
Try the Geogen web site for German surnme ditributions.

http://christoph.stoepel.net/geogen/en/Default.aspx

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 1:25AM GMT
In my research i found the name to be Norman-French. See "Clevenger Pioneers & Descendants", 1980, by George R. Griffiths
per page

Find a board about a specific topic