Search for content in message boards

Making a copy of a family tree

Making a copy of a family tree

Posted: 5 Feb 2012 7:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a family tree on Ancestry.com that has a number of ancestry lines on it. These lines are “Green” and “Womack.” The family tree name is “Green”. I wish to start a new family tree on Ancestry.com that will be named “Womack”. I have a lot of Womack’s that include a lot of pictures and sources which I do not want to do all over.

The only way I can figure out how to do this is to make a copy of the “Green” family tree that includes all the pictures, sources, etc. Put this copy on Ancestry.com but name it “Womack.” Then start deleting everything except the “Womack’s.” Now I will have my “Womack” family tree. And on my “Green” family tree I can delete the Womack’s.

My question is how do I make a copy of the “Green” family tree that includes all the pictures, sources, etc. and place this copy on Ancestry.com? Can this be done, or is there a better way to do this?

Thank you.

Re: Making a copy of a family tree

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 3:33PM GMT
I have exactly the same problem. I hope someone comes up with a solution.

Posted: 19 Feb 2012 4:08PM GMT
There are solutions.

The first option is to purchase and use Family Tree Maker (FTM) desk-top genealogy software for your OS platform, either FTM2012 (PC), or FTM for Mac2.

The second option is to start a new on-line member tree, and copy the line in immediate family groups from the existing (master) tree to the new tree. Use Member Connect to copy over media and links to records.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 11:59AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2013 11:59AM GMT

Yes this does worry us older sleuths as once we ourselves join the ancestors our trees are dead too unless paid in perpetuum !

Posted: 1 Jul 2013 6:44PM GMT
I would recommend FTM. I bought my copy for $30 which I'm able to use on multiple computers. It not only provides backup for Ancestry.com but also a means of changing a batch of things all in one go - such as standardizing naming of a particular geographical location rather than living with the multiple versions you get from the various sources you attach. I still use Ancestry for input and most editing but FTM has lots of features that Ancestry lacks. It's also as far as I know the only backup scheme which captures your media as well as your facts/events.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic