Search for content in message boards

McClure/Gillispie Families in 1740 Orange County, VA

McClure/Gillispie Families in 1740 Orange County, VA

Posted: 20 Jul 2005 8:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Oct 2005 5:56PM GMT
I'm searching for the maiden name of my ancestor who married James McClure in Northern Ireland. Her name is Agnes. Recently someone suggested the name of Gillispie, but offered no documented proof.

The following information is taken from "A History of Orange County, Virginia from its Formation in 1734 to the end of Reconstruction in 1870." Orange county, VA was the "mother" county to many present day counties in Virginia including the one my ancestors settled in: Augusta county, VA.

This article, by W. W. Scott, lists many names of those immigrants who came to America--I've cut and pasted only the two names that I'm researching and wish to ask if anybody has proof of this being the maiden name of Agnes ? McClure.

IMPORTATIONS

"A list of persons who imported themselves, or were imported as servants by others, and who afterwards proved their importation in order to obtain their "head rights" to land in the colony. The date shows the year in which proof of importation was made and recorded. This list was kindly furnished by Mr. Philip Fry, for many years clerk of the County and Circuit Courts":

1740 - Gilasby, James
1740 - Gilasby, Jesse
1740 - Gilasby, Margaret

1740 - McClure, James

The McClure/Gilasby (Gillispie) families came to America together. Is it possible that Agnes ? McClure was a Gillispie and that these are her people? If you have any information, or can suggest where I can do more research on this name, I would like to discuss this with you.

We can continue to communicate either on this message board or by email.

Joyce McClure

Re: McClure/Gillispie Families in 1740 Orange County, VA

Bill Davidson (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2005 4:45PM GMT
Surnames: McClure, Davidson, Gillispie
Since you posted this on the Botetourt message board, I thought that I would offer the following, Michael McClure married Nancy Davidson, daughter of Thomas Davidson, on 1 Nov 1805 in Botetourt. Also, an Ann H. Davidson married a James R. Gillispie in Buckingham Co., VA in the mid-1800s. I have no idea if there was any connection whatsoever between the above McClure family and the above Gillispie family, but the two Davidson families were related (the father of Ann H. Davidson, Baker W. Davidson, was born in Botetourt, married in Beford Co., VA in 1827, and then moved to Buckingham by about 1830.....Baker's ancestors had lived in Buckingham in 1761 when that county was first created from Albemarle Co., VA).

Posted: 25 Jul 2005 6:05PM GMT
Thank you, Bill, for your response to my question on McClure/Gillespie families of Orange County, Virginia.

I'm not that familiar with Gillepies and just trying to find out if someone else knows if McClure's and Gillespies were close friends who had married into each other's family. Everybody who claims relationship to this McClure family, like me, always puts a question mark after Agnes ? McClure's name. To date, I've not heard of anybody who knows her family name.

After it was recently suggested to me that Agnes ? McClure might possibly be related to the Gillespie family, I've had this urge to find out if this might possibly be true. This information would open up another door to our past by giving us a whole new line of ancestors. Sooner or later I feel certain that somebody out there will know Agnes' family and will get in contact with me. Going in backdoors has worked for me many times before.

The Gillespie and McClure families arrived on the same ship, and other records also indicate this possible friendship. They purchased land in close proximity to one another. Both families lived on the Beverly Manor property not too far from one another as indicated by the Beverly Manor Map of Orange County Virginia. Botetort Co., and Augusta Co., are just two counties created from this large Orange Co., VA where my ancestors settled.

I do appreciate your reply and wish you the best in your research. I will keep your information on file for future reference--who knows at this early research stage what will later become clear.

Regards,

Joyce McClure

Posted: 25 Aug 2005 7:14PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2006 2:30PM GMT
Surnames: McClure
I also am researching McClures in Virginia. I'm stuck at Arthur who died in Greenbriar County in 1800. I've also looked at the Beverley Manor connections and other sources that suggest that Arthur's father may have been named John. I saw your e-mail about McClure and Gillespie families arriving on the same ship. Would you be willing to share the ship's names with me and your sources? I'm starting to collect the Augusta County resources as well as Botetourt ones and am just looking for that one connection that's going to make them fit with my Greenbriar County ancestors.

Posted: 25 Aug 2005 10:14PM GMT
The name Agnes ? McClure is my active search right now. Some have said she might be a Gillespie and so, I've taken that route by going to the Gillespie board. To date, all I've found of an Agnes Gillespie seems to point to Halbert McClure having married Agnes Gillespie. Halbert is a brother (so I'm told) of James McClure, my ancestor. It appears they both married women by the name of Agnes. I've arrived at the conclusion that Agnes was the most popular Scottish name of the age--I've found hundreds of women with that name.

So, now I'm back at the beginning. I only have documents pointing me to the following ancestors: Andrew, James, Samuel, John Rankin, James, John Rankin, Taylor Gibson, and Paul Houston McClure--in that order. I've been careful not to go off line without proof as it's such a waste of time. I'm at the stage of "prove it."

My ancestor James and wife Agnes ? and children came to America in the 1700's into Pennsylvania. Later they are found in Orange County, VA. From Orange County, VA, several counties were originated and the one my ancestors lived in was Augusta County, VA on Beverly Manor which adjoins the Gillespie property. I see this family with McClure's from time to time. I believe them to be close friends and as we all know, friends married friends.

I have no ship records at this time but will have some eventually as I am more comfortable with what I have now. It's time to really study the immigration and the naturalization records. I have found most of my information in the Chalkley Chronicles which can be found on the Virginia sites. Go to AskJeeves.com or Google.com and ask the question. Then you will be bombarded. Virginia is where it's all at for most Scots/Irish immigrants.

If I come across anything that will benefit you, I'll be in touch. The one thing that I will share with you that's about the Gillespies and McClures, I'll have to find and right now I'm in one big mess with it all. I'm too swamped to stick with one family as I've got eight or ten I'm working on--not smart!

When I do find something that I think will benefit you, I'll write again. Arthur is not a name "back then" that I'm familiar with. Can you be more detailed about what you have?

Joyce McClure

Posted: 25 Aug 2005 10:51PM GMT
"The Gillespie and McClure families arrived on the same ship, and other records also indicate this possible friendship. They purchased land in close proximity to one another. Both families lived on the Beverly Manor property not too far from one another as indicated by the Beverly Manor Map of Orange County Virginia. Botetort Co., and Augusta Co., are just two counties created from this large Orange Co., VA where my ancestors settled."

This statement that I previously made "The Gillespie and McClure families arrived on the same ship" sounds like I'm an authority on shipping records--I'm not--I did say "possible friendship" however. I should have stated that this is pure speculation. But, speculation can be a good thing as long as it doesn't sound like a fact when it isn't.

The part where these families purchased land on Beverly Manor is true and is documented. Also the map of Beverly Manor shows the resident farmers who purchased the land. Each section of the map is given the name of the owner. It can be found on the Virginia sites.

I have seen a record on these Virginia sites that shows a list of Scots/Irish people who have congregated in court to prove their identity in order that they might purchase land. In this list of 1734, James McClure and sevral Gillespies are included. The name Gillespie is not spelled as I am spelling it (as most names weren't in those days).

Joyce McClure

Posted: 26 Aug 2005 7:22PM GMT
Thanks for the quick reply. Arthur McClure was born in Virginia around 1725. I know that he died in Aug 1800 in Greenbrier County, (West) Virginia. I have a copy of his will and estate settlement as well as a deed to land. I am descended through his son Samuel who was born and married in Greenbrier County (have marriage bond) but eventually settled in Jackson County, Ohio after 1801 where he eventually died in 1846. I have his will, estate settlement, as well as tombstone pictures, land grants, etc. I am able to "prove" everything on down to me with these kinds of documents too. I can't get any further back than Arthur with any certainty. Someone has posted on their history of Arthur that his father's name was John but nothing else. I found a John McClure on the Family Search site born about 1706 in Donegal, Ireland who had an Arthur, James, John, Halbert. I found another John McClure listed born 1705 in Donegal, died in 1748 Augusta County, Virginia. His father is listed as James Andrew McClure born 1664 Raphoe, Donegal, Ireland and he died about 1732 "at sea" buried in Augusta County, Virginia. His other children are listed as Samuel, Halbert, James, William, Nathaniel all listed as born in Donegal, Ireland and dead in Augusta County, Virginia. I know that Augusta County was split several times so these seem like potentials given the time frame. There are so many McClures listed for Augusta County so it's hard to pin anything down. I've looked through the on-line book "McClures of America" and there is a mention of the ones in Botetourt County. I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of the book "From Donegal to Botetourt..." There's one for auction on e-bay but it looks like it's going to go for more than I want to invest. Sorry to be so long in reply but this what I have and this is where I'm stuck. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give. I also want to give my sympathies for trying to do several lines at once. I, too, am guilty of that. Between my family and my husband's lines I'm about bonkers. Luckily, most are from Virginia, West Virginia and Ohio so at least I'm in the same state looking for info......

Posted: 26 Aug 2005 9:04PM GMT
Well, it sure sounds like we might be of help to each other. I have connections to these names (some still vague to me too) and perhaps we can share notes along with our papers in hopes of shedding more light on them--that's what this is all about.

I'd like to have the book too--even though I'm still in doubt that they knew any of my ancestors--I even went so far as to bid on this book on eBay--up to $45.00 (and don't forget the person had a $10.00 plus shipping cost tagged on). I really thought this a bit gouging but that seems to be the nature of the beast today. I finally gave up as I realized what was happening. When the price got up to $60.00, I stopped looking.

Back to our subject, I agree about being lucky that we can focus most of our energy on Virginia. I have some papers for my James McClure who came from Ireland to America with his wife Agnes and several children. One of his children, Samuel, was born in America along with a sister, Eleanor. I have their baptism records.

I also have deeds where this James purchased his land at Beverly Manor and the Beverly Manor map with his name on his portion of land along with others. He stayed there until an Indian uprising against the settlers of the area. After many of his neighbors and relatives were killed, James McClure left his land in Virginia and relocated his family in Lancaster, South Carolina. Later when things calmed down he returned to his Virginia plantation and this is where he remained until he died.

It's in this South Carolina location that his son, Samuel, grew up and married Sarah Rankin. The older children stayed on this land and James took the younger ones back with him to Virginia. I have papers to prove that Samuel, James son, died in the War of 1812, and I have dozens of papers on his wife's pensions. She is supposed to have lived to be at least 100 years old. Sarah Rankin was half Scot and half Cherokee. Her mother was full blood Cherokee who married a Scotsman named Rankin. This information was shared by a DAR cousin.

For years, I've been claiming this James Andrew McClure, who died at sea on the trip over to America. I still don't have any proof but if I ever do, I'm going to be very disappointed if it turns out he's not related to me. I've grown so accustomed to him--but, in all honesty, I've been there, done that before.

Whether we are of the same family hasn't been proven yet. But, it's done through the process of elimination. So, do you want to go with it? If so, this has to be done on a more personal basis via e-mail. I'm interested in sharing information that can be proven only.

Then, I do believe in posting our discovery back on the boards for others that might be researching our families.

Thanks,

Joyce McClure

Posted: 27 Aug 2005 2:22AM GMT
I'm more than willing to share what I have with you. I have to work 12 hour shifts the next three days and I need to scan my info so that I can e-mail it to you. I'm looking at next week before I have time.

Michelle

Cinda Walker (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2005 8:40PM GMT
Surnames: McCLure
My ancestor Halbert McClure was born in Raphoe County Donegal Irland. He married Agnes McCLure around 1711. I have Agnes McCLure as being born in Cotetourt Co. VA around 1696. Could this be the same Agnes?

per page

Find a board about a specific topic