Search for content in message boards

All stories modified to centered alignment

All stories modified to centered alignment

Posted: 23 Feb 2012 10:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Feb 2012 10:26PM GMT
I have about 1000 small stories attached to my primary tree. These are mostly small text files, transcriptions of death and marriage records or modern obituaries.

I used Add a story/I want to write a story to create these. The default was previously left aligned text - appropriate for a simple text file.

As of this morning, all have been changed to centered. I have checked with a few people, and all of their stories have also been changed to centered. I entered a test story today, and find that the default is now centered, while it is not "obvious," that is, the button to center text is not highlighted or more prominent than it was previously.

I have reported this unwanted change to support.

Has anyone heard of WHY the powers-that-be would make this change? When there are so many things that NEED to be fixed, why mess with something that should not have been touched?

Screenshot attached - on the left the way it looks now; on the right, the way it is entered and how it USED to look.
Thanks
Attachments:

Re: All stories modified to centered alignment

Posted: 23 Feb 2012 10:35PM GMT
I am seeing this also. I agree that I would like to understand the reason for the change?

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 2:25AM GMT
This is happening to me, and it is impossible to left justify the text. I have tried pasting it in as plain text, cutting and pasting from Word instead of just typing it in, and nothing works.

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 2:44AM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2012 3:06AM GMT
Select all the text, once it is in the box, then click on the left alignment icon and save. That works for me, but I don't want to fix 1000 stories that way!

But, I would still recommend that you report the problem to support@ancestry.com.

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 3:48AM GMT
Thank you. I tried that, to no avail. I even tried cutting and pasting text and right aligning it, then saving it like that (which worked), then editing it and left aligning, thinking that might trick it, and guess what? It remained right aligned, no matter what I did. This was a new story that I created since this default kicked in. Your suggestion might work for stories I already have. I'll check.

And thanks for the contact email. I could not find it anywhere.

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 3:53AM GMT
Edited: 24 Feb 2012 4:06AM GMT
The paste/select all text/select left align icon/save works for new stories for me. I just tested again.

See attached screen shot.
Attachments:

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 4:04AM GMT
Not working for me. So odd!!

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 4:10AM GMT
I've tested several times, with different text, on different people and different amounts of text, and it works EVERY time.

Sorry to insist - but are you selecting the text (highlighting it with your mouse) before you click the left align button? That is the ONLY way it works.

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 4:16AM GMT
Yes, that's what I am doing. It shows up left-aligned in the edit box, but when I hit save, it goes back to centered.

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 4:18AM GMT
And if I try to center it again after saving it once, it removes all of my line breaks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions