Search for content in message boards

Joor/Tryntje

Joor/Tryntje

Posted: 17 Oct 2003 9:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on Claas Joor who was married to ___ Tryntje (or Tryntje _____ ) in the Amsterdam area between 1705 and 1711. Both of them were apparently from Zaandam (then Saendam?). They had at least one daughter, Elinor, in Holland, born abt 1712. They emigrated to Charleston, South Carolina, arriving in 1714. They owned a store and belonged to the Congregational Church there. I have found information on a Claas Jansz Joor of Zaandam, the "schipper" of "de graeuwe Hond" on October 25, 1713. I am at a dead end. Does anyone know about the Joor family of Zaandam or how I can get more information about them?

Re: Joor/Tryntje

klasina joor (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2003 10:24PM GMT
Hallo Elisabeth I am a joor and borne in Zaandam on 17 october 1952. I will search for our ancestor [right now I'm collecting all there is about our forefathers.] Shortly I'm able to visit the zaandam archives with my brother who is a historian. Mail me everything that is of value for the search.

greetings Klasina Joor

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 7:54PM GMT
I saw your request on the RootsWeb bulletin board. I believe the couple you are looking for are Nicholas Joor/Ioor and Catherine Tryntje. According to my records, both were born in Suderainin, Holland, he about 1685 and she in 1687. They were married in 1711 and migrated to South Carolina about 1714. Most of this info came from a file in the LDS records that I requested from a Family History Center. That file traces this couple to Gen. John Joor and Emily Richardson (4 generations). I have nothing before this couple but a fair amount after.

sjanvier@aol.com

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 7:54PM GMT
I saw your request on the RootsWeb bulletin board. I believe the couple you are looking for are Nicholas Joor/Ioor and Catherine Tryntje. According to my records, both were born in Suderainin, Holland, he about 1685 and she in 1687. They were married in 1711 and migrated to South Carolina about 1714. Most of this info came from a file in the LDS records that I requested from a Family History Center. That file traces this couple to Gen. John Joor and Emily Richardson (4 generations). I have nothing before this couple but a fair amount after.

sjanvier@aol.com

Posted: 20 Apr 2008 1:01AM GMT
Surnames: Joor
Hi
What kind of records were in the LDS file? I'd be interested in any information on Nicholas IOOR. Such as what connects him to George Ioor from the High Hills of Santee, SC. I guess George would be his grandson if they're related. I'm trying to make all these connections with the Joors from SC!

I have a transcription of George IOOR's will from May 7, 1809 ( recorded on July 10, 1809) which mentions wife Elizabeth Catherine and his unnamed late wife; sons John and Benjamin G.; and grandchildren Peter Horry, Francis Mary and Margaret. Also mentioned are Samuel Fley, Ann Richardson, and Marial Fley.

I also have some info on John Joor of Dorchester, SC who was George's father and have photos of his headstone. But don't have any concrete info to confirm their relation.
Any info would be appreciated!

Posted: 21 Apr 2008 4:35PM GMT
- The LDS file contains a family tree frostarting with Nicholas Ioor & wife Catherine (notation: Pioneers- 1714- S.C.H.M. Vol 34 Page 154 -- Also: see Copy Charleston Will Book in S.C.V.Library Vol 15 page 583) It continues through their children Elinor and John, and then the children of John, who were John, George, Catherine, Joseph, Sarah and Mary.) Children of George and John are listed.

George Ioor, the son of John & Catherine married Frances Guignard. Their children were Benjamin, Catherine and John. I assume this is the George that you are searching for. Elizabeth Catherine Fly (nee Guignard) was hid second wife. Iwould love to see a copy of his will.

According to the LDS file,George's father was John Joor/Ioor . b. 1723,married to Catherine Wallace, d. 1785. A note says 'see copy of Charleston Will Book Vol. 14 page 331. I would also love a copy of the photo of his headstone.

Other notes in the LDS file refer to census info and military service.

If you live anywhere near an LDS church they should be able to tell you where the nearest Family center is. There you can order a copy of the microfilm containing this file & can make copies. Or, you can contact me by email & give me your address & I'll send you copies of my copies.

The George Ioor/Joor that you are researching is my 4 great grandfather.

Sara Peak Janvier
sjanvier@aol.com

Posted: 26 Jul 2008 1:30AM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Ioor, Joor, Fley
Sara,

The will transcription can be found at: http://www.rootsweb.com/~scsumter/wills/volume1/iwills/ivorg...

WILL OF GEORGE IOOR, May 7, 1809
I George Ioor Planter of the High Hills of Santee do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following-- It is my will that my Executors herein after mentioned do discharge all my just debts with all convenient speed after my death- To my beloved wife Elizabeth Catharine, and her hears forever, I give and bequeath one negro wench named Juliot, with all her future ifsue, one negro boy named Sam, one good chair, one good Chair horse, one good bays horse, and five hundred dollars, to be paid her out of the crop that may be on hand at the time of my death, also Two hundred dollars to be paid her when she wishes to go to house keeping, to buy furniture, also James Hasttings bond to Samuel Fley deceased for about on Thousand dollars ballance, also one third of a bond due by Ann Richardson to Samuel Fley dec.d for about on Thousand dollars, and all the furniture of her bed room, and it is my will that my beloved wife do have her living in my house until she can make it convenient to go to house keeping, It is my will that the above legasis be considered in lew of all dower, as I have given her by deed of gift he(r) brother Samuel Fley deceased, Estate both real and personal-It is my will that the remaining two thirds of the bond due by Ann Richardson to Samuel Fley be equally divided between Marial Fley, and the children of Ann, Sister of Marial Fley, agreeable to the last request of Samuel Fley dec.d To my grand daughter Francis, Mary and her hears forever, I give and bequeath one negro girl named Pogey, with all her future ifsue--To my grand daughter Margaret, and her hears forever, I give and bequeath one negro girl named Liddy, with all her future ifsue--To my grand son Peter Horry, and his hears forever, I give and bequeath my silver mounted gun, and forty dollars to buy him a watch--It is my will that my grave yard is inclosed by a substantial stone wall four feet high, and marble head and foot stones, to my late beloved wife, my good friend Samuel Fley, and Self---To my son John and his hears forever, I give and bequeath all that tract of land known by the name of the machine Fort containing as pur plot four hundred and ninety five acres also the slip of land, adjoining said tract, beginning at a small safsifras corner, in the lane between James Hartley and self, and from theres runing in a dyrect line to the corner of the oats field commonly called Snipe field (as pur Hasting Ginnings plat of said land).-To Provide more effectually for my son Benjamin G. and his posterity after him, as I am apprehensive he will injur himself by his unbounded generosity, I give and bequeath him during life, and to his Legitimate ifsue after him, all that tract of land whereon I reside with the dwelling house out buildings &ct containing as pur plot about Six hundred and fifty acres, including the slip of land given as above to my son John, but to be liable for no debt he shall contract, and in case of his death without legetimte ifsue, I give and bequeath to my son John and his hears forever all the above mentioned tract of land, with the dwelling house out building ect- I give and bequeath to my son Benjamin G. and his hears forever, two negro men named Sharper, and Nat, and one negro boy named Peter, one negro wench named Pender, with her infant child named Abram, with her future ifsue, and one negro child named Resetha, with all her future ifsue---To my son John and his hears forever, I give and bequeath one motto wench named Thisby, with all her future ifsue, and one negro boy named James-The remainder of my Estate both real and personal, of what kind so ever, after the above bequests, I give and bequeath to my son John and his hears forever, the one-half-. The other half I give and bequeath to my son Benjamin G. during life, and to his legetimate ifsue after him forever, but to be liable for no debts he may contract, and in case of his death without legetimate ifsue, I give and bequeath the remining half of my Estate to my son John and his hears forever-say the half given as above to my son Benjamin G.--- Finally I Constitute my two sons John, and Benjamin G. Executors to this my last will and testament, in witnefs whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this Seventh day of May one Thousand eight hundred and nine
George Ioor (SEAL)
Signed Seald in the presence of
Wm Mayrant
Elnathan Haskell
James Hartley
Recorded in Will Book A Pge 77
Recorded 10th Day of July 1809
John Horan Q.M.
Bundle 53 Pkge 3
(Note: This will is indexed with the surname Ivor in the WPA notebook. A descendant got in touch and let me know that the surname is actually Ioor.)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I didn't get an alert of your reply. I'll email you the photo of John Joor's headstone and some more links to documents from Dorchester, SC which pertain to John Joor.
Margaret Buchanan

Posted: 26 Jul 2008 6:56PM GMT
Thank you so very much for the information that you have sent & that which you promised to send. I helps me a grteat deal. If I can answer any questions for you regarding what I know about the family, please feel free to ask.

Sara Janvier
sjanvier@aol.com

Dutch born Cornelius Joor

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 9:53PM GMT
Surnames: Joor
Dutch-born CORNELIUS JOOR enlisted from Story County, Iowa into the 14th Iowa Infantry in October 1861. He was 38 years old and enlisted as a private.

The following February his regiment participated in the taking of Fort Donelson, one of the important early Union victories of the Civil War. In April the 14th Iowa was camped at Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee,where the Union army was gathering around a small church called Shiloh. They were preparing to attack the Confederate army in nearby Corinth.

At dawn on Sunday April 6, 1862, the rebel army turned the tables by opening a full scale attack on Generals Grant and Sherman, who were totally unprepared for such an event. The southern men originally met with success in overpowering the Federals until finally a stiff line of resistance formed in the area of the battlefield now known as the Hornets' Nest.

Cornelius Joor's Company G formed up in the middle of that line and stubbornly held off several waves of rebel assaults until almost sundown. Finally, units to the left and right gave way and almost out of ammunition and all but completely surrounded, they were forced to surrender. The men of the Hornets' Nest were rounded up and marched off the field to be taken to POW camps in the deep south. Cornelius Joor was probably taken to Macon Georgia. Joor survived his time in the POW camp while many of his companions in Company G never made it home.

The bravery of the men at the Hornets' Nest in delaying the rebel advance had bought a second chance for Grant and Sherman, who were able to use the time to organize their scattered army into a strong line of last defense, re-arm and resupply their forces, and to bring thousands of fresh troops into line overnight. The following day Grant and
Sherman turned the near disaster into a crucial victory for the Union. At the cost of their own lives and freedom the men of the Nest had saved Grant and Sherman's careers, and by doing so, probably saved the outcome of the entire War itself.

After his release from the POW camp Joor and many of the
younger men with him were suffering from serious health
problems. Cornelius was discharged for disability and sent home to Story County to recover. Just over a year later, even though he was 40 years old, and a married man with small children, he was still determined to serve his adopted country. In February 1864, Joor volunteered again and joined the 32nd Iowa Infantry. This time he served until the end of the War. In July 1865 he transferred to the 8th Iowa Infantry which was still doing duty in the deep South a year after the fighting had ended. In August 1866 Joor was finally mustered out of the service.

He quietly returned to his farm near Nevada in Story County, raised his children and lived twenty more years. His son Peter Joor grew up and became a well known physician in the area. When Cornelius died in 1885 he was buried in Pleasant Run Cemetery south east of Nevada.

Recently a book about Company G of the 14th Iowa has been published by the museum of the small town of Traer Iowa. The hardback 288 page book consists of a complete wartime diary and a full volume of letters from Joor's companions giving an almost day by day account of what Joor and his companions experienced in the war, told by the soldiers themselves. Anyone interested in good highly detailed first-person accounts of Iowa men in the Civil War can find the book at www.traermuseum.com

Posted: 15 Dec 2010 4:42PM GMT
Klasina,

Sadly I have lost contact with you. I would like to resume our discussion of the Joor family of Zandaam. Please reply to this post or contact me directly. Thanks.

Elizabeth Noble
per page

Find a board about a specific topic