Search for content in message boards

Uploaded tree not in search after two months

Uploaded tree not in search after two months

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 6:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
I uploaded a public tree to ancestry two months ago and it is still not accessible via tree searches. When should I expect its individuals to show up in searches?
Martha

Re: Uploaded tree not in search after two months

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 11:49AM GMT
Hi Martha,
Are you sure you uploaded to Ancestry and it connected OK?

I see your note on Roots which states
"The current version of this tree is at www.rootsweb.com. The one www.ancestry.com copied to OneWorldTree is outdated. ... Surnames: Derouen, Durocher, French, Golay, Grant, Hebert, Johnston, Kirtley, Moore, Odell, Roberts, Rogers, Stine, Tidball and more."" 2012-01-25

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 3:38PM GMT
Martha~ That's not uncommon. It won't appear in tree searches until the database has been re-indexed by ancestry - which ancestry seems to do less and less often. I have two trees that were posted about as long ago as your yours that still aren't indexed either.

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 8:44PM GMT
Yes, my current tree uploaded fine (after I used Internet Explorer instead of Firefox) and I have been using it on ancestry. It is similar to the one you saw on rootsweb. It just isn't findable via ancestry searches. I was spoiled by rootsweb which put my tree in the search engine overnight. I would think ancestry would find an advantage to quick indexing of any new data, but anyway it would be nice if they could give you some idea of the time it will take.
Martha

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 8:47PM GMT
Thanks, its nice to know it isn't some weirdness about my tree./Martha

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 9:55PM GMT
Edited: 3 Mar 2012 11:01PM GMT
Surnames: all
Have the same problem with ancestry.com. I upload a gedcom every three months April and july are in the search. Then I missed Oct and the latest was uploaded Jan 1 2012. 8 trees uploaded to rootsweb.com and the same trees to ancestry.com. Roots is searchable within 24 hours. Ancestry.com still not in the search. The previous 8 trees uploaded in April & July are in the search, but stupid me I removed the trees, as I thought they were searchable. Actually the old trees are searchable, but non show and they indicate a problem with finding the request. That is the way I have done it for years. So I have no trees on ancestry.com Everyone who reads this please upload to Rootsweb.com as a quicker and a safe backup of your tree, and its still free, unlike ancestry that takes my money but has a problem with a simple tree update. The funny thing is rootsweb and ancestry are run by the same people. I'm now running a test on ancestry to see how long it takes for the trees to be searchable, one tree was a uploaded gedcom and the other a tree made in the cloud on ancestry. All the trees are in the system but can not be found unless you invite someone . Believe this or not, that was the answer given by customer service as a way to allow others to see your tree. Again its all about money not Genealogy or your trees. Use rootsweb and keep it alive. If you know what a Gedcom file is, move a copy of your tree from ancestry, which you can download as a gedcom then upload it to rootsweb. I forgot to say the last update to the search database was Nov 23 2011 by customer service at ancestry.

Posted: 10 Mar 2012 7:42PM GMT
Good luck on that one... I have been waiting since September 2011 for mine to show up. Emails and phone calls to support is worthless. I am so frustrated with this issue that I am about done with Ancestry.

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 8:52PM GMT
I am glad to hear that I am not alone with this problem. I used to be able to add a new tree and it would appear within a day or two for others to see. Their (ancestry's) claim is that it has always taken 4-6 weeks before the trees were viewable by others (not true). Unfortunately, I removed a searchable tree before I realized what was going on. Now I have a tree that I added January 27th that still hasn't appeared. I tried again last week thinking that it was a glitch with my tree only to find that I was in the same predicament with my new tree. What is the point of posting trees if others can't find them? I could go back to using Rootsweb but not as many people search there. Talk about frustrating!!

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 6:58PM GMT
Many of the trees there are uploaded thru Worldconnect
try there to open a free account and load it.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions