Search for content in message boards

Whyte Family of Sligo

Whyte Family of Sligo

Mervyn Hurley (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WHYTE, HURLEY, MOAKES, PYE, CHITTY, MAINDONALD, LE BRUN, LENIHAN, QUINAN OR QUEMAN
I am trying to track the relatives - both past and present - of JAMES JOSEPH WHYTE born 13 February 1860 who came to New Zealand from SLIGO around 1870s. He married Ada Rachel MAINDONALD of Guernsey in Christchurch, New Zealand, on 5 June, 1884. James Joseph WHYTE was one of eight children of Patrick WHYTE and Annie QUINAN or QUEMAN. James Joseph's siblings were Patrick, Mary (m. Frank Thompson), Agnes (m. Andrew Flood), Francis (m. Harry Boland), Bedelia (unmarried) and Michael (m. Mary ?). I have no other information and am seeking help on all members of the family.

research

mick (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Hi.
Can i suggest you try this guy!

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Shores/7348/

bset of luck.

Whyte

Paul Burns (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
When in Sligo last February, I stumbled across the old Grangemore burial ground in Templeboy parish. There was a directory of tombstones at the entrance which I photographed. There are three Whyte tombstones there, but I do not know the inscriptions. I thought this might be of interest to you because the index to Griffiths Valuation (circa 1858) shows only one Whyte in Sligo--in Kilkerry parish I believe. Can't explain this discrepancy. Also, I recall Whytes (because of odd spelling) in the Templeboy parish records that I once obtained through the Mormons.

info on Whyte

Posted: 30 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2001 7:45PM GMT
Surnames: Whyte
Sir, please find some info that I have on the name of Whyte. James Whyte born 1831 married Bridget Mulroyan born 1841, married 25 Feb 1867, possible children Mary born 15 Apr 1868 married
a John Johann no date,Michael born 24 Jul 1869.single in Cregcarra,Galway,Margaret born 17 Mar 1871 married Thomas Tonery 5 Aug 1891 in Lynn, Massachusetts,USA died 3 Sep 1957, Bryan born 23 Feb 1873 another brother by the name Bryan was born 1884,John born 14 Jun 1875 married Bridget Clancy on 25 Sept 1904 he died 25 Mar 1960 in St Steohens ,Ny USA.James born 17 Jun 1877 no info. James born 20 Apr 1879 lived in Greenwich,Conn USA.

Hopes this helps

Best Regards

John James Tonry.

Lenihan

Mike Lenaghan (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lenihan, Lenaghan
I am researching the Lenihan Family of Sligo Ireland. My grandfather Patrick immigrated to the United States sometime between 1890 and 1910 - settling in New York City.

They origionally were from the Ballymotte area.

Mike Lenaghan 8/2/99

Re: Lenihan

John Lenaghan (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2001 10:16PM GMT
Hi: I believe my grandfather or great-grandfather who shared the same name, Hugh Lenaghan, moved, with two brothers, from Sligo to Donegal in the late 18th or early 19th century. The daughter of my grandfather, Mary, married a John Connaghan (later changed to Cunningham) and emigrated to New York relatively early in the 20th century. 3 sons and numerous grandchildren still live in and around NYC. My father, Vincent, emigrated to England and died there in 1972. I have lived in British Columbia since 1966. Are we realated, do you think?
Love to hear from you: John Lenaghan

Posted: 29 Dec 2010 2:55AM GMT
Surnames: Lenihan
John,

I believe we are relatives. My mother's family are Leonards from Mountcharles Donegal, formally Lenaghan. They still live there today. I heard a similar story of three brothers moving to Donegal but I heard from Cork not Sligo. This is information I have been seeking to have confirmed.
Either way I believe the Hugh Lenaghan you are refering to lived in Drumgorman. Like you said his father was also Hugh. He was one of the three brothers that moved to Donegal. I have info on Mary moving to Brooklyn and marrying John Connaghan from a cousin of my mothers.

My grandfather's best friend was his cousin, John Lenaghan, who would be your father's brother. He emigrated to England as well.

I have much more info than this. I would be very excited to exchange whatever information we both have.

Rory

Posted: 30 Dec 2010 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: Lenaghan
Hi Rory: it was great to receive your e-mail. It certainly seems that we are related.Where are you located? I have done some research on the family (a few years ago with a cousin in New York: Hugh Cunningham, who sadly died a couple of years ago) and would be happy to share it with you. I live in Surrey,British Columbia.

I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best:John

Posted: 30 Dec 2010 3:41PM GMT
John,

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the reply, I am located in Long Beach, NY. My mother moved to NY from Donegal in 1970. Your GG Grandfather, Hugh, and my GGG Grandfather were two of the three brothers that moved to Donegal. I would be very happy to see what information you have. I have a good bit myself.

You can email me directly at rorydotcom@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Rory

Posted: 20 Feb 2011 5:31PM GMT
John,

I was just checking that you got my last message. My email is rorydotcom@hotmail.com

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Rory
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions