Search for content in message boards

Johnson,Downie search

Johnson,Downie search

Terry Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson, Downie
Looking for info. on Robert Johnson, married to Janet Downie around 1850 when left for Tasmania, Australia.
Possible assistance from St.Andrews church immigration.
Downie family members seem to have come to.

Re: Johnson,Downie search

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 8:12AM GMT
I just found your post.I hope you are still around.I believe Robert Johnson died about 1872 in Table Cape Tasmania.Janet/Jennett remarried and died
in country Victoria in 1891.Please get back to me ASAP.

regards Barbara Walsh Victoria Australia

Re: Johnson,Downie search

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 9:46AM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2014 2:34AM GMT
Robert Johnson (possible parents- Patrick Johnson and Sarah Menzies of Berwick-Upon-Tweed) was a farmer from Garfar in Ayr.He married Janet Downie(parents Daniel Downie and Margaret Grant cf 1841 census)
at Kirkmichael,Ayr,Scotland in 1851.

Robert and Janet arrived in Victoria aboard the ship ''Success'' May 31st 1852.
Janet's brother James Downie,was also on board with his wife Agnes McKie and
first born Margaret.Both the Johnsons and Downies gave the name of Westgarth and Land Company as the address for their employers.Robert Johnson was a shepherd;James Downie was an ag.lab.The children of James and Agnes were born in the Buninyong/Durham Lead region of Ballarat Victoria.There are possible gaps between 1852-1859 for some of the children's births.No births can be found for the Johnson children who were Margaret,Alexander,Robert and Annie Elizabeth(1861?).It is not known when the Johnsons went to the Table Cape area of Tasmania,possibly in the vicinity of Inglis Farm(run by King family).

Another brother,Daniel Downie,came out with his wife Margaret McNab, to Victoria .It is not known what ship they were on.The birth of one of their children,Daniel??,was about 1858/1859,at Durham Lead in Victoria.
.James and Daniel are buried in the Ballarat region of Victoria. B Walsh
per page

Find a board about a specific topic