Search for content in message boards

Laura Story Obit about 1882 Steuben, NY

Laura Story Obit about 1882 Steuben, NY

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 3:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Feb 2013 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Story, Hamilton
I am in search of an obit for my 2 greats grandmother Laura Hamilton Story, and believe it may have been published in a Steuben County pulication as have not found it in Otsego, and she lived in both places. The below background may assist.

Laura Hamilton Story, daughter of Daniel Hamilton and Kezziah Keyes Hamilton. She was likely born in Steuben County where both her parents were buried. She married Burrel Story.

Burrel Story was a hatmaker. He was born in 1772 in Connecticut and buried in 1858 at Schuyler’s Lake, Exeter, Otsego.

Residences for Burrel Story and Laura Hamilton include Steuben County, NY (1800); Hartwick, Otsego, NY (1810); Norwich, Chenango, NY (1820); and Schuyler’s Lake, Exeter, Otsego, NY (1830 to 1858.)

Daniel Hamilton, Burrel’s father in law, was a revolutionary war vet and graduate of West Point. Laura and Burrel Story had 2 children Harriet Story Scott b. 1815 and Joseph Story b. 1834. Laura’s siblings were Almira, Artusa, Luman, Fanny, John, Mary “Polly,” Melinda, Kezziah.

Both Laura and Burrel Story are buried in the Old Cemetery at Schuyler’s Lake Exeter, Otsego. The Story children moved to the Chicago area where they are buried. Joseph Story was a dry goods salesman, and Harriet Story made confections. Joseph married Margaret McGown. Harriet married George Scott.

Re: Laura Story Obit about 1882 Steuben, NY

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 6:28AM GMT
I have some census records to add to yours.

1860 - Exeter, Otsego, NY: Laura Story - widow, with Harriet Scott age 41, George W. Scott age 17, and Ellen Scott age 6.
1860 – Austin Scott age 22 is a boarder living next doorto Laura Story and Harriet Scott

1870 – Exeter, Otsego, NY: Laura is 74 living with dau Harriet Scott in Exeter, Otsego, NY

1880 – Census Exeter (Schulyers Lake), Otsego, NY Laura Story age 85 – insanity - born in NY, living with Harriet Scott age 65 . Laura is listed as ‘mother’.

I am a direct descendant of Laura's parents: Daniel Hamilton and Keziah Keyes. There is much information available extending the Keyes line. However, it has been a challenge extending the Hamilton line beyond Daniel. His son Luman of Steuben co NY is my ancestor.

I did not know Daniel attended West Point. Do you recall where this information came from? I have his Rev War records which state he enlisted April 1782 as a private from New Marlboro, Berkshire, Mass. He was discharged from service, 30 June 1784 at West Point, NY. At the time of his discharge he held the rank of sergeant.

I have searched two records which list deaths recorded in newspapers covering Steuben Co. I have found nothing for Laura Story.

As for Laura's birth (abt 1794)I believe she was born several years prior to her parents moving to Steuben co NY. In fact, I believe she may have been married before they arrived which appears to be prior to 1813.

"The first town meeting was held in April 1813 at the residence or hotel of Simeon Bacon, who then lived on the Daniel Hamilton farm"
Robert's Historical Gazetteer of Steuben Co NY, pg 413

Our Daniel Hamilton may be the one listed in the 1800 census for Cherry Valley, Otsego, NY. Perhaps he is also one of 2 D. Hamilton's in the 1810 census of Cherry Valley. BTW Exeter/Schyler Lake are neither very far from Cherry Valley, maybe 40 miles.

Like you I am anxious to learn more about the Hamilton and Story families. I hope we can be of help to one another. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Sharon Stephens Kiser
hermanakiser@yahoo.com

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 12:03PM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2013 12:09PM GMT
Surnames: Story
I am so excited that we connected! I do not know if Daniel attended W. Point, but I have a paper of a "Daniel Hamilton" attending W. Point to show you.

I have Story family pix that start with Burrel's grandson Harry, which is Joseph's child.

I would love to know the actual birth and death dates for Laura. I have requested on gravefinder that someone take a pix of her headstone. Whoever transcribed the headstone had her dying in her early 30s, but I believe she was Joseph Story's mother, and I have her living much longer than that.

There is a journal called the Freeman's Journal in Cooperstown that is not scanned, so you have to actually thumb through it that might help us.

Also, do you see anything about the death of Burrel Story by chance? I suspect he was related to the famous Story family that was in Massachusetts and in Connecticut, as he was born in Connecticut, but I can't find his parents.

I have been told my historians that Chenango County could have information about the Laura and Burrel Story family, as well as Exeter County, since they are nearby each other.

heatherdurian@yahoo.com
I am a Story by birth and a Durian by marriage.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 5:15PM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2013 6:05PM GMT
Just in case you don't have this

Harriet Story Scott
d 23 Dec 1900 Aurora Illinois
Home of her daughter--Mrs Charles Coats

Kathy

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 6:08PM GMT
I found Harriet living with her daughter and son-in-law [Ella and Charles Coats] on the 1900 census in Aurora Kane County Illinois

Harriet is listed as being born Oct 1815

Kathy

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 6:34PM GMT
George W Scott
b Schuyler Lake
d 1 Jan 1904-Winchester Indiana
m 1869-Rebecca Jane Oliver of Burlington Green

Remains were removed by his sister-Mrs C M Coats and buried at Spring Lake Cemetery-Aurora Illinois next to his mother.

[Harriet Story Scott-Spring Lake Cemetery]

He was also survived by his wife and 1 daughter

If you would like this obit and the death notice for Harriet let me know

Kathy

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 6:38PM GMT
On another obit for Harriet Story Scott it says she died 31 Dec 1900

Survived by
Son-George
Daughter-Ella
7 Grandchildren
2 sisters[? children of Burrel and Laura Story]

Kathy

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 7:04PM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2013 7:05PM GMT
1855 NYS Census Otsego County

STORY Burrell L 62 b Conn
STORY Laura 60 b Otsego County
SCOTT Harriet 36 b Otsego County
SCOTT George 12 b Otsego County
Scott Hellen 1 b Otsego County

Kathy

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 12:14AM GMT
Looking at daughter of George Scott and Harriet Story:

1855 NY - Hellen age 1 (b appx 1854)
1860 NY - Ellen age 6 (b appx 1854)
1900 IL - Ella wife of Charles Coats age 46(b Apr 1854)

Looks like Hellen, Ellen and Ella are the same person.
What do you think?
Anyone have her on any other census?

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 1:01AM GMT
Kathy, could the Dec 31 1900 date be the date of the newspaper?
I'm excited to have the link to these obits. I have a couple of sets of books with abstracts of obits and marriages from newspapers, but it sounds like you're looking at the obits themselves.

Sharon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic