Search for content in message boards

Families Mentioned in 1900's Journals of Relative

Families Mentioned in 1900's Journals of Relative

Posted: 4 Feb 2006 11:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 12:06AM GMT
Hello - I am transcribing journals of my great aunt who lived in Kewaskum in the late 1800s/early 1900s - 1919. She mentions many families in that area and I would love to share some of this wonderful information / clippings. Also, I would really like to connect with others who are researching that area and might have seen information on my family as well. Although I was told my family lived in Fond du Lac County, I see that Kewaskum (they had farms near there) is actually in Washington County? My aunt's name was Ida Manz Bohland, though her mother's father was Fredreich Ladwig. Fred settled in the area in the mid 1800s. My other gr grandfather, Herman Manz, came from Germany abt. 1864 and met Emilie Ladwig and they married and moved to MN. Ida, Emilie and Herman's daughter, met her future husband, August Bohland, when visiting the Ladwig's near Kewaskum. After they were married they moved to a farm in that area and lived there until 1919. They had two daughters Hilda and Wilma. Wilma died abt 1916, I think of TB, and in 1919 the three moved to LA, California. Names and relatives mentioned in this journal: Manz / Ladwig / Harder / Bohland / Bach / Zimmermann / Heller / Quandt / Krueger / Duit / Petri / Guntly / Beisser / Schrauth / Schleif / Scheid / Teusch / Eiksteadt / Heberer / Ferber / Keinholz / Reinhardt / Senn / Bartelt / Reinhard / Geidel. Some are mentioned over the course of years, others only a few times. The term 'Frauen Ferein" is also mentioned many times - I think German for Women's Assocation. Thank you! Sue sug53@earthlink.net

Re: 1900's Journals of Relative, Frauen Verein

Posted: 5 Feb 2006 6:07PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2006 7:21PM GMT
> The term 'Frauen Ferein" is also mentioned many times - I think German for Women's Assocation.

It should be Frauen "Verein" and that's exactly what it was--a Womens Society--most likely through her church. Along those lines (no pun intended!) it would appear from the surnames that these were Old Lutherans. I could be wrong or overstepping the profile but I know that some of those surnames have strong ties to the Pommeranian Old Lutherans, especially Ladwig, Zimmerman(n), Quandt, and Bartelt.

While I do not specifically remember an Old Lutheran parish in Kewaskum, it would make sense that there was one as they began in southern Washington (Freistadt) and successively kept going further north with time. Some if this was due to land and some of it because of differences in religious doctine, but it definitely did occur. The closest parishes I could remember in that area were located near Lomira and Theresa. Not too far by today's standards, but way too far if you're going to church on a buckboard in January, with or without a load of small children and infants.

> Although I was told my family lived in Fond du Lac County, I see that Kewaskum (they had farms near there) is actually in Washington County?

Kewaskum is on the northern border of Washington County, but it most probably wouldn't have been uncommon for them to hop the train and do their business in the much larger Fond du Lac, rather than the closer but much smaller West Bend. West Bend was too close to Milwaukee at that time to grow very large.

I grew up less than 20 miles from Kewaskum and we always went to Fond du Lac for clothes buying, etc. In that immediate area, Fond du Lac is considered the closest "big" city. Additionally, it could also have been that many of their friends and relatives lived in FdL.

Re: 1900's Journals of Relative, Frauen Verein

Posted: 5 Feb 2006 6:23PM GMT
Thank you so much for this information - it is very helpful and fits in quite well within the context of the journals. The transportation to church was certainly an issue as Aunt Ida mentions taking the "Rig", the "Milk Wagon", or the "Top Buggy" and also which horses were used. It appears Ida had her favorite horses and her mother in law had her own as well. I found some obits/articles on line of that area and noticed the Ladies Aid Society was mentioned many times. I'm wondering if this was a similar or same group of ladies? The Frauen Ferein (Verein) ladies sewed/gathered items for the less fortunate. Again, thank you! Sue

Re: Families Mentioned in 1900's Journals of Relative

Posted: 23 Jul 2006 1:43AM GMT
Sue,
My g-g-grandfather, John/Johann Krueger was in Newburg - a bit of a ways from Kewaskum but still in Washington County. I would doubt he's one mentioned in your journals, except for that Ladwig connection. After leaving Washington County, my Krueger's moved to Muskego, WI where there were many Ladwigs living, several marrying into the family.

Posted: 1 Aug 2006 5:37AM GMT
Surnames: Ladwig / Manz / Bohland / Krueger
Hi Pat,

I've lost track of which Ladwigs you are referring to in this post. My gr gr grandfather was Fredreich Ladwig, his daughter Emelie married Herman L. Manz. (Their daughter Ida returned to the area as a bride to August Bohland.) Emelie and Herman moved to Minnesota, but Fred (a widower) staid in the area and married Christiana Harder. They had one child who died very young. Fred died in 1906. He had other relatives living in that area as well - his brother Peter and his sister Sophia. Does any of this sound familiar or connect with your Ladwig line? Thanks so much! Sue sug53@earthlink.net

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 9:42PM GMT
Sue,

Hello!When I saw your post,I was pleasantly surprised to see two familiar last names-Schrauth,and Senn.My dad's biological last name was Schrauth;it was changed when he was adopted.His parents were Gregory Schrauth,and Irene Walter;Gregory's parents were Herman Schrauth,and Clara Senn.If you'd like to share some info,I'd greatly appreciate it.Thank you.

Best Regards,
Lisa Brandt

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 11:31PM GMT
Surnames: Ladwig / Manz / Senn / Schrauth
Hi Lisa,

I just tried to attach a picture of the Schrauth Pond (now Lake Bernice) dating back to the early 1900's, but was given an error.

If you'd like to share your email address, I can send it to you that way.

At the moment I don't have much info for you, but Edward Senn was married to Anna L. Ladwig. Anna died young, in 1920. She was a friend (and cousin) of my Aunt Ida Manz Bohland who wrote these diaries.

Schrauth isn't a direct relation, but the name was mentioned in the diaries. I'll keep you posted if I find anything of interest there.

I do recall mention of the Senn name after Ida and her husband, August, moved to California. A Senn family member visited the Bohlands and there may be mention of extended family in those entries.

I'll keep you posted :-)

Sue suemanz.graham@comcast.net

Schrauth's Pond

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 12:22AM GMT
Hi - I thought you might like to see this picture of Schrauth's Pond from the early 1900's.
Attachments:

Re: Schrauth's Pond

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 1:01AM GMT
Surnames: Schrauth
Thank you for the photo.I have come across the name "Schrauth's Pond" in a few records,and was curious as to its location,or if it still existed.

Lisa

Re: Schrauth's Pond

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 6:02AM GMT
Schrauth's Pond is in Fond du Lac County near Elmore /Lake Bernice , just outside Campbellsport.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions