Search for content in message boards

Zephaniah Johns Sr.

Zephaniah Johns Sr.

Posted: 24 Sep 2004 3:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johns/s
Hi,
I'm looking for lineage above Zephaniah John/s father ?David John/s. Do you have info on this line?
I am a descendant of:
Lee Johns, Covington Co, AL - grandfather
Elsberry Newton "E.N." Johns - ggrandfather
Jonathan Johns - ggrandfather
Zephaniah Johns Jr. -ggggrandfather
Zephaniah Johns Sr. -gggggrandfather

I really could use some help on going back farther on this line and could use info on all the children of my descendants. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Janice J. Johnson

Re: Zephaniah Johns Sr.

Diane Johns Lucas (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2004 4:37AM GMT
Surnames: Johns/ John
I'm looking for lineage above Zephaniah John/s father ?David John/s. Do you have info on this line?
I am a descendant of:
Lee Johns, Covington Co, AL - grandfather
Elsberry Newton "E.N." Johns - ggrandfather
Jonathan Johns - ggrandfather
Zephaniah Johns Jr. -ggggrandfather
Zephaniah Johns Sr. -gggggrandfather

Can you tell me how you obtained the above records of your ancestors? I ask, because our family has a possible link in our line to a "Zephaniah Johns" and have been trying to establish if he is, indeed, connected to us. If so, then I have some information as to his parentage, etc.

My ggggrandfather was a William Green John(s ) b. 1807 in Georgia. it is assumed, but not documented, by a few online researchers I've corresponded with that William's father was a "Daniel John" of Hancock and Houston County, Georgia. He is the most logical person to be William's father, but no definite proof document has been found linking William to Daniel. There are suppsedly documents in the Houston County records which link Daniel to a John M. John, who we believe to be William's brother. Your lineage lists a "Johnathan Johns" - could this person possibly be a mutual link between our families?

Our research continues on the supposition that Daniel is believed to be the son of Zephaniah John of NC, GA and TN. Again, there is no definite proof document on our side linking these two together. Zephaniah was the son of a David and Mary John, and that relationship IS supposed to be documented.

I also have in my notes that a David Johns, b. 1696 d. 1736 was married to a Mary Moore (2nd marriage, I believe) b. 1703 d. 1736. They had 1 son, Zephaniah Johns Sr., b. 1736 d. 1790.

Additionally, I have some notes from quite some time ago from an email mentioning an "E. Newton Johns" that had been forwarded to me which might have some relation for you. It basically states gives genealogical information from his pension for service in the civil war (Co. G, 63rd Alabama), and then goes on to say that based on the Census index for 1860 (I assume Georgia) that "Possible sons of Zephaniah Johns and Lydia Nunn were a William P. Johns in Bradley County, Ark (page 476) and Samuel Johns in Jackson County, FL (Page 774). The woman who sent the email said that WIlliam P. moved ot Ark in 1858, Samuel to Florida. It also has a blurb in it that states "Nunn Ancestors buried in Milledgeville Cemetery, Hancock County, Georgia." Don't know if you already have this information or not, but if you need any of it, let me know.

I hope we can figure out where our respective families connect and continue working on this line together in the future! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Re: Zephaniah Johns Sr.

Alan Lerwick (View posts)
Posted: 22 Dec 2004 2:59AM GMT
Surnames: John, Johns, Jones, Nunn
Zephaniah John & Lydia Nunn were married abt 1810 Wilkinson Co, GA
he was born abt 1787 Washington Co, GA (area later located in Hancock Co, GA)

his parents were - Zephaniah & Elizabeth John (they married abt 1768 Mecklenburg Co, NC)
he was born abt 1750 Craven Co, SC s/o David & Mor "Mary" Jones/John

David Jones/John was born abt 1712 Pencader Hundred, New Castle Co, DE and died 1764 Burke Co, GA
Mor "Mary" was born abt 1723 and died in 1777 Mecklenburg Co, NC
David & Mor were married abt 1743 Craven Co, SC

About the same time that David & Mor moved from Craven Co, SC to Anson Co, NC (area now in Mecklenburg Co, NC) in about 1753 (bought land in Anson Co, NC in May 1754; His brothers Thomas & Griffith and their wives and his parents John & Ann later moved to what is now known as Society Hill, SC (now located in Darlington Co, SC)

David Jones/John also had land in Burke Co, NC in 1759, after his death in 1764 (the year his Will porbated in Burke Co, GA) his wife and children moved back to NC where Mor "Mary" died in 1777.

David's parents John & Ann Jones were married abt 1703 Pencader Hundred, New Castle Co, DE

John Jones was born abt 1682 Carmarthen Co, Wales and died in 1759 Society Hill, Cheraws Dist, SC (now lacated in Darlington Co, SC)

I am a direct descendant of David & Mor "Mary" Jones/John thru their youngest son Roger John(s) who was born abt 1754 Anson Co, NC and died aft 1810 Chesterfield Co, SC. Thru Roger's son Zachariah Johns b.abt 1785 Chesterfield Co, SC d.aft 1860 Randolph Co, AL
per page

Find a board about a specific topic