Search for content in message boards

Gollob, Golob, Gollub from Steiermark, Styria, Austria ANYONE?

Gollob, Golob, Gollub from Steiermark, Styria, Austria ANYONE?

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 4:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gollob, Golob, Gollub, Cok, Potye, Potje
Hello All:

I am looking for any of my family from Styria (Steiermark) Austria. My great-grandmother was Olympia Barbara Gollob. The only real paper thread I have from her and her family is a photo of a place called "Annahof, Styria" where she was born (I don't know exactly where, Annahof is a large house of some type). She was born in December 1878, and from what I can see through her family pictures (w/no names!) is that she is the oldest in her family, with a younger sister (Amanda) and several much younger siblings (no names!). I do know that her mother's name was Barbara, but that is where the history stops (no father's name, but plenty of awesome pictures of him in Austrian either Military or Aristocratic Regalia. The family is Roman-Catholic. Olympia married my great-grandfather Frigyes (Friedrich, Fred) Potye (Potje) and emigrated to Philadelphia thru NY and Ellis Island with her oldest child, Kitty (born in Budapest) in 1905 to join Frigyes, who had sailed ahead of her to set up home several months previous. Once settled in Philadelphia, she worked as a seamstress and had three more daughters, Mary, Margaret (my Grandmom), and Betty (Elizabeth).

Olympia spoke EIGHT languages (as most in that area must have then). Her first and primary language was German. I do know that some of her family eventually moved to Trieste (now Italy, once part of Austria/Yugoslavia). I believe one of her sisters married into the name Cok, and her family mostly resides still in Trieste,

I know through my research that all Gollob/Golob/Gollubs come from the area that my great-grandmother is from (unless from Poland, and that is fromt the town of Golub). Golob means "dove" or "peaceful person" in German (I think!), and the family crest that I found is of a maiden holding a dove. If ANYONE has ANY information on this section of my family, I would so appreciate a reply! I have pictures that I would love to post to my family tree, if I only had more info to put with them!

Thank you!
Jennifer Wagner

Re: Gollob, Golob, Gollub from Steiermark, Styria, Austria ANYONE?

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 7:44PM GMT
Edited: 8 Feb 2011 11:18PM GMT
in connection to ggrandfathers name - in slovenian means potje a path-, way-crossing. so this name came once about a person who lived at a path-crossing. what was his mother-tongue and did he came from the same area then her?

in german "Scheideweg" > slovenian "potje" (found not the correct word at dictionary)is not directly a path-crossing like this: http://www.eckhardt-schoen.de/res/Tiefthal_Umgebung/grund200...

Posted: 30 Jan 2011 11:12PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 16 Feb 2011 6:57PM GMT

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 7:47PM GMT
Jennifer,
Although internet translators need to be regarded with caution - look up Besserwisser. Some folk just cannot help themselves and you are not the only target! Cannot compete with your Grandma but can rise to six languages and a bit of a seventh! Scheideweg is simply "crossroads" "am Scheideweg stehen" is to be at the crossroads or a parting of the ways - both factually and metaphorically - and as far as your Potje (and variations) is concerned, well, your "German" ancestors came frtom Alsace (Elsaess - German) where there is a delightful mixture of French and German "Merci vielmals" is standard, and names are as mixed as the language. Potier in French is simply a "potter" - someone sometime was handy with his hands! Keep going - you'll get there eventually.

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 7:06PM GMT
OK... I found my ggrandmother's baptismal certificate, and this could be a big help. She was baptized on 6 January 1878 at Saints Peter and Paul in Pettau, A-H, which is now Ptuj, Slovenia. She was born on 17 December 1877, so this is two weeks later. In my research, many Golobs or Gollubs came from there... I also found that her father was Josef Golob and her mother is Barbara Mekovec.

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 10:05PM GMT
Edited: 16 Feb 2011 10:07PM GMT
take diocesan-archive Maribor, where Ptuj belonges - you can ask in your language - slovenians most time fluent in english: http://www.culturalprofiles.net/slovenia/units/4932.html

slovenian genealogy: http://www2.arnes.si/~rzjtopl/rod/rod-an.htm

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 1:10AM GMT
Thanks again for the links, Mohnbauer!

Jennifer

Posted: 31 May 2013 11:03AM GMT
Dear Jennifers,

By browsing internet we found your post in which you are asking about Gollob's family roots. I am grand-grandson of Karl, Olympia's brother, and we have some information and photos of Gollob's family and Olympia in particular.

Rest regards

Boris
boris.kaludercic@gmail.com
Attachments:

Posted: 31 May 2013 12:25PM GMT
Dear Boris:

Thank you so very much! I finally have found you! The picture of my great-grandmother, Olympia on the bottom right of your photo is the same as one I have! Of course, I have many more photos, but since my grandmother (Margaret, her daughter) died 30 years ago, I was not able to put names to other photos (except for Amanda, I knew of Amanda). I had an old family picture with the Gollob children, but no names were written. Just knowing the names from your photo is such a fantastic help to know more! My great-grandmother (Olympia) and grandmother kept up correspondences with their siblings, nieces and nephews in Europe, but since most of these letters are in German, and handwritten, I could not always decipher their words. I'm so excited to correspond with you, and let you know of your family here in America! I hope I can find out more about our shared family, where everyone is, where they came from, what they did, etc., etc.! Again, thank you so much! What a lovely surprise on this Friday morning!

Much love,

Jennifer

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 2:00PM GMT
Jennifer,

There is an arrival record of Olympia and her baby daughter at ellisislandrecords.org . Have you seen this record? It seems to contain interesting information.

Accordingly, Olympia Golob, age 27 (rather looks like 27 to me than 26 as transcribed), married, arrived in Ellis Island on October 2, 1905, on the ship Vaderland sailing from Antwerp (in Belgium). With her was six months old baby daughter Katharina. Their "race" is stated as Croatian. Their residence in the old country was given as Agram. Agram was the German name of Zagreb, the capital of Croatia (which was part of Hungary at the time.

The two were stated to be on their way to an "aunt" (of Olympia) with the name Mary Schnitzer who lived at 3861 Folsom Street West, in Philadelphia, Pa. The aunt also had paid the fare for the two. Somewhat mysteriously, there is no mention of a husband Frigyes/Fred. There is also a question mark about why she came under the surname Golob (which, according to your posting, was her maiden name), when the arrival record lists her as married as expected.

Fritz Königshofer, Bethesda, Maryland
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions