Search for content in message boards

HOLDEN Lauderdale County, AL - Rutherford County, TN

HOLDEN Lauderdale County, AL - Rutherford County, TN

Posted: 27 Jul 2006 9:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holden Slocumb Peche Peck
I am just returning to my family research after an extended break. I am researching the Holden's of Rutherford County, Tennessee & Lauderdale County, Alabama.
Names in my search include but are not limited to:
Joseph Holden
Dennis Holden
Matilda Slocumb
Robert M Holden
Presley Holden
living 1800's - 1900's
If you have any info on the Holden's in the north Alabama / southern-middle Tennessee area or would like to discuss them, please post here or contact me. I am hoping to share information & hopfully fill in some holes.

Re: HOLDEN Lauderdale County, AL - Rutherford County, TN

:Linda Sanders (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2006 1:47PM GMT
Hello,

I have some information about HOLDEN's that lived in Lawrence and Maury, TN in the 1800's.

My great-grandfather was Ike (maybe Issac), Holden born about 1857. His father was Thomas Holden of Virginia.

Once my company leaves I will contact you with what little more information I have.

Thank you for posting your information.

Linda Sanders

Posted: 30 Aug 2006 1:59PM GMT
My HOLDEN family may have come from Virginia - John Holden and Thomas Holden (he later moved to Maury, TN). At this moment I cannot locate my paper work on them. Years would have been late 1700's and early 1800's. I will find this information and post later.

My great-grandfather was Issac (Ike) Holden of Maury Co., TN. DOB about 1856 - 1857. Married Nov. 26, 1876 in Maury Co., TN. Wife Mary Rebecca LILES or SILES.

Sometime between 1900 and 1910 the Issac (Ike) Holden family moved to Ellis Co., Texas. One (1) son remained in Maury Co., William T. Holden. My parents used to visit him. He married a lady named Pearl who, I've heard, lived to be over a 100 years old.

My grandfather Frank Holden met my grandmother Sallie Alice Jordan in Ellis Co., TX.

I have no other knowledge of this family.

If you have any information you'd like to share about my HOLDEN family I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you.

Linda (HOLDEN) Sanders

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 3:10PM GMT
I descend from Dennis Holden, born 1799 in North Carolina and died July 1845. Most of his children, if not all, were born in Rutherford Co., Tennessee.

We made a research trip which took us to Lauderdale Co., Alabama. It stands out because there was a shooting very near the motel where we were staying. It was covered on the news the next morning. I don't remember if the victim was killed or not.

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 2:59AM GMT
Hi Heath,

I can send you my updates to what I sent you back in 2002 from Colleyville, Texas (I now live in West Linn, OR), my email address is still dnecox@hotmail.com. Thanks! Don Cox

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 1:41AM GMT
Surnames: Holden
I have a William Holden born in 1850 in Alabama and buried in Oklahoma. Can't find any info on him and family anywhere. His son John Henry Holden was my great grandfather and he is from Oklahoma.

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 1:07PM GMT
Hi texasdebbi,

I have three possible candidates from Alabama that could be your William Holden born around that time in Lauderdale Co., Alabama. Do you have any other details, like where he was buried, did he have brothers or sisters, what was his wife's name and who were his children? Regards, Don Cox

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 1:18AM GMT
He is buried in Webb, Oklahoma with his wife Synthia Jane Cole. I don't know anything about brothers or sisters.

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 3:36PM GMT
Hi Debbi,

I found your William "H". Holden buried in the Elmwood Cemetery in Wagoner (Wagnor Co.), OK, with the birth/death dates of "Aug. 24, 1850 - June 9, 1909" next to your "Synthia Jane Holden, birth/death of "May 13, 1850 - Nove. 15, 1923". They are listed as having a son J.H. Holden.

I find in the U.S. Federal Census records a William "M." Holden and "Cintha J. Holden" in Comanche Co., Texas in 1880 and in 1900 a "William Holden & Syntha Holden" in Wagoner Co., Oklahoma. All showing the birth year as 1850.

I suspect [not proved] this is the W.M. Holden (b. 1850) listed as being the son of C[harles] W[esely] Holden and Rachel J. Holden in the 1860 Census in Rutherford Co., Tennessee. Charles Wesley Holden is listed as being born in Alabama and may have lived there a short while before moving to Rutherford Co., Tennessee by 1860. Charles Wesley Holden was married to Rachel J. Holden on Dec. 19, 1849. They had: W.M. Holden, Free Holden and Laura Alice Holden. He was married a second time and her name was Mary Catherine "Kitte" Oden and they were wed on Jan. 28, 1873.

The Charles Wesley Holden family is a generation or two back from my Dennis Holden & Matilda (Slocum) Holden family.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK, Don Cox, West Linn, OR

Posted: 9 May 2013 12:17AM GMT
To Don Cox:

Don, I read your post regarding Charles Wesley Holden with interest. I have a different William M. Holden as a son of Charles. I cannot prove which is the right one, but I thought you would be interested.

Sincerely, Don Holden, Tulsa, Oklahoma
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions