Search for content in message boards

Charles Baker, Revolutionary War soldier

Charles Baker, Revolutionary War soldier

Posted: 7 Jul 2007 10:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baker, Clarke, Blair, Goodwin, Barksdale, Gordon, Barton, Russell, Moss, Terrell, McDonald
I am researching Charles Baker, Revolutionary War soldier, buried at Pine Log, Bartow County, Georgia.

I am especially interested in his spouses:
(1) Mary Elinor Clarke, (2) Ann Blair, and (3) Mary 'Nellie' Goodwin; his children, their spouses and their children:
with (1) Mary Clarke - Dorothy Baker, m. John Barksdale
with (2) Ann Blair - Martha 'Patsy' Baker, m. William Gordon
and with (3) 'Nellie' Goodwin - Joel Baker, m. Salley Barton; Eleanor 'Nellie' Baker, m. James Russell; Jesse Baker, m. Parthenia Moss; Ann Baker, m. Thompson Terrell; and Elizabeth 'Betsy' Baker, m. Andrew McDonald.

I am interested in the lives of these folks, where they lived, and where they are buried.

Re: Charles Baker, Revolutionary War soldier

Posted: 8 Jul 2007 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: Smith,Posey
Who is this?

Posted: 8 Jul 2007 11:29PM GMT
Surnames: Baker
Sorry, I don't understand your question....'Who is this?'

Are you speaking of Charles Baker....or of me, the individual that posted the message?

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 5:11AM GMT
Jesse Baker(1800-1870) who married Parthenia Moss(1809-1889) had a daughter Elinor Elizabeth Baker born 22 May 1830. She died 1866 from the struggles of raising three small children with no husband in the middle of a war. She was married to William King Brawner born 1829 in Henry County Georgia to Joel Brawner and Elizabeth King(my great great grandparents). William King was killed in the War in 1863. The orphaned daughter Parthena Victoria Brawner was the grandmother of Victoria Elizabeth Mahan Garrison who lives in Pine Log, Georgia and is 96 years old. I visited her yesterday for the first time. She is am amazing woman.

Posted: 1 Sep 2007 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Brawner
Thank you for your kind reply!

I reviewed my notes, and found that I had this snippet of information in Elenor Elizabeth Baker's file.

The Cartersville Express
June 5, 1868, Page 2
Letters of Guardianship
Cartersville, Georgia

Thos H. Baker "applied to me for letters of Guardianship of the persons and property of Virgil A. Brawner, Victoria Brawner, and Adelia Brawner, minor children of Wm. B. Brawner, deceased of said county, under 14 years of age."

Posted: 1 Sep 2007 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Davenport
This Charles Baker was the youngest son of Thomas Baker and Dorothy Davenport of Culpepper County, Virginia and Burke County, North Carolina. Dorothy is of the Pamunkey Davenports.

Charles Baker enlisted in the North Carolina Militia as a Light Horseman. He participated in the Skirmish at Pacolet and the Battle of Kings Mountain. He also guarded British prisoners to the Moravian towns. Later, he saw service on the frontier helping with the defense against the Cherokees.

After the Revolutionary War, Charles moved from Burke County to Pendleton District, South Carolina; then to Habersham County, Georgia; and to Cass County (now Bartow County).

He applied for Revolutionary War pension at Habersham County, Georgia, at age 75 (while living in Cass County). He was awarded $23.33 per annum. He stated in his pension application that he was known by Co. James Blair and Gen. Benjamin Cleveland.

Charles died in Cass County, Georgia, April 26, 1850. His grave has been marked by the Etowah Chapter DAR, Catersville, Georgia. His grave is near Rydal and Pine Log, Georgia.

Posted: 1 Sep 2007 11:36PM GMT
Don't know any Charles Baker

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 5:35AM GMT
I recently read the obit of Thomas Hudson Baker. He never married and left an estate of over $300,000 when he died 16 June 1920. He owned five square miles in Pine Log district. His obit said he was one of 14 children. I am told his medical instruments are in the Smithsonian as he was a surgeon during the great struggle 1861-1865.He was a state Senator. How sad that he had no children to carry forward his story of greatness.

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 2:35AM GMT
xtxlamb,
I am also researching Charles Baker, b. 1762 Rev War Soldier lived & buried in Bartow County GA. Please contact me.
jnbathens@comcast.net

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 3:09AM GMT
drsharon,
I would like to correspond with you about this GA Baker family, please contact me:
Jerry Baker; jnbathens@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions