Search for content in message boards

James Rowe Sr.

James Rowe Sr.

Posted: 9 May 2002 12:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rowe, Tracey, Dawson, Robertson, Terry, Perry, Huffman, Cox
I'm looking for information about James Rowe, Sr. b. abt 1753 in Va. Perhaps around Culpeper? I believe he married an Elizabeth or Bettie Tracey b. abt 1755?. He had a farm around the New River area, then move to Pike Co.,Kentucky. It seems that the Rowe did a lot of moving around. But a few stayed in Va. It was said that James fought for the British during the Revolutionary War. Someone told me they thought that his father may have been George Rowe and that he fought on the side of the Patriots. But I'm not sure. If any one could help with information on James, his parents or His wife and her parents. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You so very much. Clyde E. Rowe,Jr.

Re: James Rowe Sr.

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 8:25PM GMT
Surnames: Rowe, Slone
Hi, Clyde.

I'm decended from James Sr's son, Solomon. What I have found so far is that James Sr's wife's given name was Elizabeth and Bettie was what they called her. I have that he was b in 1753 in Culpepper Co. and he married Bettie in 1791 in Giles Co, VA. I'm not sure how accurate this is. My family believes James was an immigrant. I got this info on www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kyfloyd/familyflies/rowetree.htm

I was hoping maybe you had found updated info? We have speculation that further back, possible links to Richard del Rowe, Mayor of Macclesfield, England (around 1363). Someone married Sir Francis Drake. And Rowe (though our family tradition considers us Irish and Dutch), is an English name dating to sometime around the 2nd century AD and means "one of Rowland", who we believe was a lord or something. Any more info? Also, how certain are we about George Rowe being James Sr's father? I hadn't been able to find anything. Thanks!

Jessica Cansino

P.S. I am specifically looking for when the line immigrated into the U.S., from where, and why?

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 8:25PM GMT
Surnames: Rowe, Slone
Hi, Clyde.

I'm decended from James Sr's son, Solomon. What I have found so far is that James Sr's wife's given name was Elizabeth and Bettie was what they called her. I have that he was b in 1753 in Culpepper Co. and he married Bettie in 1791 in Giles Co, VA. I'm not sure how accurate this is. My family believes James was an immigrant. I got this info on www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kyfloyd/familyflies/rowetree.htm

I was hoping maybe you had found updated info? We have speculation that further back, possible links to Richard del Rowe, Mayor of Macclesfield, England (around 1363). Someone married Sir Francis Drake. And Rowe (though our family tradition considers us Irish and Dutch), is an English name dating to sometime around the 2nd century AD and means "one of Rowland", who we believe was a lord or something. Any more info? Also, how certain are we about George Rowe being James Sr's father? I hadn't been able to find anything. Thanks!

Jessica Cansino

P.S. I am specifically looking for when the line immigrated into the U.S., from where, and why?

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 3:26AM GMT
I gleaned much of the information I have from other researchers. Some I found to be erroneous. As to George being James Sr.'s father... well I have found no such tie. What I know about James Sr. is he fought as a Patriot and received a land warrant for 200 acres in what is now Pike County Ky. He moved with most of his children to Floyd Co. Ky about 1811. He filed for his war pension but died before getting it. I descend from His Son Stephen. Stephen stayed in the New River settlement in Giles County, He purchased the land from James. His son Joseph moved to Pike County in the mid 1830's he was married to Elizabeth White, they were married in Giles County Va.
It is through Joseph that my line comes from.
As to Sir Francis Drake connection I remember reading something about his brother? and a connection that way but not in my line.
There was a George and a Benjamin Rowe who could be related brothers to James show up on ealier censuses with James but disappear later.

Posted: 3 May 2013 7:12PM GMT
Surnames: Rowe
I know this is an old thread, however I would like to add a little info on the Drake line... Sir Francis Drake did NOT have any children. if the connection is there, it has to be through a his brother. I have John Drake b 1680, Samuel Drake b 1708, Michael Drake b 1750, Elizabeth Drake b 1779, md Solomon Rowe b 1779.

I am still stuck on the parentage of James Rowe Sr., which I am directly descended from two of his sons, Solomon and Elizabeth, and Stephen md Barbara Huffman.

Anyone have any direction? I have seen both George and John listed as possible fathers, and I have played with those as well, just no definitive information! Have looked both in VA and NC, and still nothing that leads me to either or.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions