Search for content in message boards

John Hurd

Posted: 8 Jan 2007 11:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hurd
Looking for information regarding John Hurd and Mary Anne G????. I cannot make out the last 4 letters of her maiden name, she was born in Germany. He was born in PA circa 1849 and settled in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA. He is my Great Grandfather, his son, Henry Adam Hurd my grandfather (married to Elizabeth Michel). Please advise and information or direction to head.

Re: John Hurd

Posted: 23 Jan 2007 5:44PM GMT
Hello,

There is a John Hurd that appears in the 1900 PA Census Allegheny County, Pittsburgh City, Washington Avenue, dated 5 Jun 1900:

Hurd, John, Head, Mar 1849, 51, Married for 25 years, Born in PA, Father born in PA, Mother born in Germany, Steel tamperer

Hurd, Karoline, Wife, Nov 1854, 45, Married for 25 years, Mother of 6 children, 4 still living, Born in PA, Parents born in Germany

Hurd, Henry, A., Son, Sep 1877, 22, Born in PA, Parents born in PA, Toolwork laborer

Hurd, John E., Son, Jan 1884, 16, Born in PA, Parents born in PA, Laborer

Hurd, K. Mabel, Daughter, Mar 1890, 10, Born in PA, Parents born in PA, At school

Hurd, Raymond, Son, Jul 1893, 6, Born in PA, Parents born in PA, At school

This information doesn't completely match with the information that you provided. However, the family does appear in the 1880 Census living with the father of John Hurd's wife.

From the 1880 PA Census Allegheny County, Pittsburgh, Twelth Street, dated 8 Jun 1880:

Wolfrum, John, Self, 56, Widowed, Huckster, Born in Baden, Parents born in Baden

Hurd, John, Son-in-Law, 30, Married, Works in glass works, Born in PA, Father born in PA, Mother born in Baden

Hurd, Caroline, Daughter, 26, Married, Keeps house, Born in PA, Parents born in Baden

Hurd, Henry, Grandson, 3, Born in PA, Parents born in PA

Hurd, Edward, Grandson, 3 mths., Born Feb of that year, Born in PA, Parents born in PA

There is a Henry Hurd who appears in subsequent census listings in Pittsburgh, but his wife's name is listed as Louisa, and they have the following children: Harry, John, Ruth, Mabel, Charles, Walter and Lewis. I provide this information so that you can make the determination whether or not this is your line.

Best of luck with your research.

Re: John Hurd

Posted: 15 Mar 2007 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Hurd/Herd
I have just been able to read your response, thanks! They are my line with John Henry Hurd being my GGrandfather and Karoline Wolfrum Hurd being my GGrandmother. Henry and Louisa are my Grandparents. addede some data to what I have.

A great help. Also looking John Henry's father, Adam Herd/Hurd dob about 1810-1812. Unsure of other particulars but his wife on John's death cert is "MaryAnn G++++".

Also seearching for John and Karoline's marriage information.

I live out of state, any help is appreciated.

Thanks Again....Katie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions