Search for content in message boards

SHERWOOD DNA Project

SHERWOOD DNA Project

Posted: 27 Aug 2004 12:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Aug 2005 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: SHERWOOD
I have started a DNA project for the Sherwood surname and am requesting any Sherwood genealogist interested in this project to get in touch with me by email. What is a DNA Project? To put it simply, any man that conceives a son passes on to that son the y-chromosome that he received from his father, who received the same one from his father, who…. A DNA project is an assembly of the results from tested DNA samples from participants sharing the same surname. Only y-DNA is mapped and the map for pairs of individuals that have a common male ancestor will match one another establishing with almost perfect certainty the existence of that male ancestor assuming that both individuals descend through all male ancestors from that common ancestor.

This all means that if I truly am a descendent of Thomas Sherwood, the Immigrant from England who arrived in New England on the ship, Francis, in the year 1634, I have his y-chromosome! I believe this to be the case, but my paper trail is not without major uncertainties.

While I am having my y-chromosome mapped, I unfortunately cannot have Thomas Sherwood’s tested. But I have started the project in the hope that other Sherwoods will be willing to be tested, too. The relationships we find using this technology combined with our paper trails back to New England will be useful in furthering our mutual efforts to map out the Sherwood family tree that Thomas Sherwood is credited with having started in the New World. Other Sherwood trees may come to light as well.

Many, if not most, Sherwood genealogists that I have come across claim to also be descended from the same Thomas Sherwood. They should have his y-chromosome too, as long as that descent occurred through all “male” ancestors, as would be probable for any genealogist having the surname “SHERWOOD”. I’d like those individuals to join the SHERWOOD DNA Project. Any other genealogist, including women, interested in the Sherwood lines can possibly also participate indirectly by sponsoring a close, male relative that meet the above criteria. If you are interested, please send me an email to express your interest. I will respond with an email including a URL (web page address) where you will find more information about the process of obtaining and submitting the test kit. Then your DNA can be analyzed and the results added to the project database where they can be compared with other Sherwood results, including mine.

So you won’t be surprised later, I want you to know up front that the test is not free. I don’t think it’s appropriate to use this bulletin board to get too commercial, so I’ll reserve more information about the organizations involved in the project and the cost for when I respond to you later. Be assured there is no potential for financial gain in this project for me. In fact I’ve already paid for three test kits, one for myself to contribute to this project and two for cousins of mine through my mother, whose maiden name was THOMAS (not to be confused with the given name of Thomas Sherwood referred to above). The latter two test kits did confirm the intersection of two very independent paper trails back to my g g g g grandfather, Aaron THOMAS on Green Mountain in North Carolina. I sponsored a first cousin, to whom my relationship is absolutely certain, and an individual who has turned out to be a fifth cousin in the THOMAS DNA Project. I consider this an investment in my genealogy hobby and hope that by administering the SHERWOOD DNA Project I can further my own research and be of service to the rest my Sherwood relatives, at least those crazy enough to spend hours looking for their ancestors.

You Brits interested in the SHERWOOD surname, I most definitely need you to participate, too. Once we find y-chromosome matches across the Atlantic, we will at least be able to compare paper trails and hopefully learn more about the intersection of our families.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Glenn A. Sherwood, Jr.

Re: SHERWOOD DNA Project

A Sherwood (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2004 4:45PM GMT
Surnames: Sherwood
This is one of the finest jokes that I have seen yet.

Cinda Marsh (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2004 5:43PM GMT
Surnames: Sherwood, Marsh, White
Why in the world would you think this was a joke? My family has actually participated in two different DNA studies, and in one, found we were part of the line we suspected, and in the other we weren't. So on the first, we put our time and resources in that area, and on the second, found where NOT to place those resources. Either way, we found the studies to be quite helpful.

Posted: 28 Aug 2004 7:30PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2005 2:42AM GMT
To A Sherwood:
No, it is not a joke. I do appreciate you having read the posting and your expression of skepticism. And, I greatly appreciate Cinda’s vote of confidence.

If you are at all interested in this technology as a way of furthering your own genealogical research, take a look at the Web Page for the THOMAS DNA Project at http://thomasdna.home.comcast.net. This is the one I mentioned in my first posting. The group administrator for that project has done a fantastic job of documenting her project. Please be sure to go to the “Participants” , “Test Results” at least one of the “Pedigree” pages. If you come away with a changed perception of what the SHERWOOD DNA Project might accomplish and are interested in further info, write to me at gsherwoodjr@houston.rr.com. I will share with you more details about the organization through which we will be getting the testing done. After I’ve given you that information and you go to their web page, you will find there a much better explanation of why I believe I probably have the same y-chromosome that Thomas Sherwood brought to the new world and gave to his sons. If the idea of the y-chromosome passing from father to son to grandson to great grandson, etc., is your stumbling block, then please be open minded and examine what others have written better than I have.
Glenn A. Sherwood, Jr.

raygena (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2004 10:23AM GMT
I just returned from a NATION WIDE family reunion based on the DNA project initiated by one my ultra-distant cousins. Through the DNA project, we had people we never considered part of the 'family'. We were able to link families of the same surname together and eliminate those that were not. It is one of the most exciting things to come out of the Dillman Family Association in 3 years. Whoever thinks it is a joke should rethink their position and start doing some 'family research'!

Ina Sherwood Metras (View posts)
Posted: 3 Sep 2004 5:18AM GMT
Surnames: Sherwood,Hawley,Dailey,Metras, Martin,Tyler Dickinson.
Raygena,
I am sorry, I didn't think it a joke, I ask. difference. It sounds promising. I have did some research on my background. I am convinced I am a SHERWOOD. I suppose I will be the gift of many such remarks now. Many , Many appoligies. My Sherwood line is through Stephen, Nathaniel, Nehemiah, Samuel and Joel B. Which line are you?

raygena (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2004 2:14AM GMT
No need to apologize. My comments were aimed at whoever posted the one line negative comment.

Norris Hazelton (View posts)
Posted: 17 Dec 2004 4:31PM GMT
Can you provide a website on the net that discusses DNA mapping and its credibility? To which email address should we send inquiries?

Posted: 9 Jan 2005 6:37AM GMT
new e-mqil--dugnjan@sbcglobal.net
Interested-however I probably won't be tested.
Diabeties -Grandfather-Father-14 cousins all with some part of the diabeties. Can't find Joseph Sherwood, my Grandfather born 1845 to 1850. Any ideas?
Jan

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 6:23AM GMT
HI Glen, Yes I am interested. Please email me the information.
Kevin Charles Sherwood
kevin_sherwood@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions