Search for content in message boards

Samuel Wilson s/o Daniel and Jane

Samuel Wilson s/o Daniel and Jane

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 7:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilson, Foutty, Ruble, Cox
I am seeking information about SAMUEL WILSON born 27 July 1819. In 1832 the family was living in Columbiana Co. OH. I believe in 1840 they may have been in Brooke Co. VA. I can't find him listed in 1850 in his parents household - DANIEL and JANE WILSON in Ritchie Co. VA. Was he married? Did he move out of county? out of state?
His siblings were Ann, Nancy, Lucinda Priscilla,
Margaret J. Arminta, William, Sarah F. Joseph Mac. and Samantha

Re: Samuel Wilson s/o Daniel and Jane

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 10:27PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

Facts you should know about the early census records –

All census records [1790 – 1840] prior to the 1850 census ONLY listed the head of household; whether male or female.

NO specific age was stated for any family member
NO place of birth was stated – city, state, or country
NO city, town, or village is stated – only the county; however some census takers listed the township
NO street address was stated
NO marital status was stated – single, married, widowed, or divorced
NO family relationship was stated – brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, wife, inlaw, etc…
NO occupation was stated
NO parental birthplaces are stated
NO race was stated [but assume “white”]

1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships, marital status or parental birthplaces.

Step children are not enumerated as “step” children
Adopted children are not enumerated as “adopted”
Grand children are not enumerated as “grand children”
Orphaned children were not enumerated as "orphan"

1850 is the 1st census that shows all family members

1880 is the 1st census that shows parental birthplaces and family relationships +++

How do you know the "exact" DOB for Samuel Wilson???
How do you know Samuel is the son of Daniel & Jane Wilson??

What is your source for the 1832 Columbiana Co. OH statement?? 1832 is not a census year.

WHO did Samuel Wilson marry ????
Need her 1st name + DOB + birthplace
Need 1st names + DOB's + birthplaces for all of Samuel's children.

Need DOB's + birthplaces for - Ann, Nancy, Lucinda Priscilla, Margaret J. Arminta, William, Sarah F. Joseph Mac. and Samantha

Since 1850 is the 1st census to show all family members by name, how were you able to ascertain all the children's 1st names??

WV marriage record -
West Virginia Marriage Records, 1863-1900
Name: Hosea Ralston
Spouse: Armitta Wilson
Marriage Date: 17 Oct 1872
County: Ritchie
State: WV

1850 -
Name: Daniel Wilson
Birth Year: abt 1787
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Home in 1850: Western District, Ritchie, Virginia

Daniel Wilson 63, PA - farmer
Jane Wilson 55, VA
Arminta Wilson 20, VA
Wm Wilson 18, VA
Sarah A Wilson 16, VA
Joseph M Wilson 13, VA
Samantha Wilson 10, VA

1860 -
Name: Danl Wilson
Age in 1860: 71
Birth Year: abt 1789
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Home in 1860: Ritchie, Virginia
Post Office: Ritchie Court House

Danl Wilson 71, PA - farmer
Jane Wilson 63, VA
Ann Wilson 40, VA
Araminta Wilson 30, VA
Joseph W Wilson 22, VA
Samantha Wilson 20, VA

1880 -
Name: Arminta Ralston
Birth Year: abt 1830
Birthplace: Virginia
Home in 1880: Clay, Ritchie, West Virginia
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Hosea Ralston
Father's Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Mother's Birthplace: Virginia

Hosea Ralston 36, VA - farming
Arminta Ralston 50, VA [AKA - Wilson]
Susan C. J. Ralston 6, WV

Posted: 24 Jan 2013 4:48AM GMT
Surnames: Wilson, Hemphill, Ralston and Cain
Thanks for your reply. I have been researching the Wilson family for years. My g-g-grandfather is William Wilson. Samuel was his brother. I have been looking at collateral lines hoping that by researching them I may be able to see where their parents Daniel and Jane (unkown maiden name)were born and married.

The oldest sibling is Anne who, I believe, never married and is found in the 1900 census with her cousin James Ralston. James is also the brother-in-law of her sister Arminta.

Samuel was listed as born on 37, July 1819. This is listed in the family bible. But I can't seem to find him beyond that date. The family moved around a lot and he was not living with his parents in the 1850. He could have been married or a boarder elsewhere in another place or even another state. I can't find a death record. I have been searching the 1840 census in several places in OH, PA and VA(WV) where they may have lived to see if there is a boy in his age range.

Next is Nancy who, I believe, never married and died in Washington Co. PA

Third, Lucinda Priscilla who married Charles Hemphill and died in East Liverpool OH. She lived in OH, VA(WV)and PA

Margaret J. married Richard Findley and died in 1855 in PA. Anne lived with the family until after her death and then Ann is found in the 1860 census with her parents.

Arminta married Hosea Ralston and had one child with him. She lived with her parents until she married him in 1872.

William from whom I decend was born in Columbiana Co. OH in 1832. He married Cyrene Jane Foutty in VA(WV). He served in the Civil War and all of the official papers have this birth year and birth place as OH. I have the marriage and death records also.

Sarah F. married Thomas Cain in Ritchie Co. WV in 1854. I do not know anything about them except she that was still alive when her mother was applying for the pension of her brother, Joseph, who died at Andersonville.

Joseph Mac lived in Ritchie Co. and his parents and several siblings lived on his farm. He never married and after his death in Nov 1864 at Andersonville his mother collected his pension. The pension records mention his living siblings when his mother applied for the pension.

Samantha was the last and was considered an "idiot" in the census. She was supposed to have lived until 13 August 1893. She is not living with her sister Anne and cousin James Ralston in 1900. I have not found where she was living between the 1880 census and the 1900 census which was the next one that there are records. I can't find a death record nor where she is buried, yet.

I will keep searching for answers to my questions. Those answers may lead to new questions and my missing ancestors.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 3:52PM GMT
I've been finding this conversation about the Wilsons of Hancock interesting. Do you happen to know the paternal haplogroup of your Wilson line (e.g., DNA testing)? Mine is I1.

My Wilsons appeared to bounce a lot during the early 1800s between PA, OH, and WV. They ultimately ended up in Meigs County, Ohio but along the way they appeared to be associated with some Ralstons in Monroe County, Ohio. Also, there were some Swearingens in Hancock County they were associated with too. I know it's a stretch, but just wondering if there could be a connection.

While I don't know the Wilson patriarch's first name, there were at least 5 boys and they arrived Ohio by 1820 (Tuscarawas, Harrison, and Monroe Counties) before ending up in Meigs by 1845. We believe the father died rather young.
1) William B. Wilson, b. 1811 PA, married Sarah Hill in Tuscarawas
2) James H. Wilson, b. 1815 PA, m. Susan Hill in Tuscarawas
3) John B. Wilson, b. 1816, PA, m. Lettitia Jones in Harrison
4) Robert Wilson, b. 1820 OH, m. Jane Riggs in Meigs
5) David Wilson, b. 1825 OH, m. Ruth Hutton in Meigs

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 3:58AM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2013 3:59AM GMT
Surnames: Wilson, Hemphill, Findley
Unfortunately no one in the family has done any DNA testing. The oldest Wilson on which I have some collected some information is Daniel, my g-g-grandfather. I don't know anything about his siblings. I don't even know his wife Jane's maiden name. In some census years he was listed as being born in PA. I'm not sure of the place they were married. I have been looking in PA and VA/WV and thinking also about looking in OH. Jane though, is supposed to have been born in VA. She was of Irish decent. My g-grandfather is William. Everything states he was born in Columbianna Co. OH. In 1850 he was married and living in Wirt Co. VA/WV. His sister Lucinda Priscella married a man named Charles Hemphill. They were to have married in Beaver Co. PA. Another sister Margaret J. married Richard Findley and they lived in Hancock Co./Brooke Co. VA/WV. She died in Beaver Co. PA in 1855.

I am trying to find out where in Columbianna Co. Daniel settled and if he was with any other family members. I also have been looking at migration trails to see if they may help me see where they may have lived before traveling to OH. I wonder if he traveled with brothers from PA or VA to OH. He was born 7, April 1789 and died 27, April 1864. I've heard stories about how he was a fighter and was suppose to have biten off a man's ear while in a fight. I am thinking of looking in court records to see if there may be anything - as there may be other times when he got in trouble.

The Wilson name is so common but it would be something if your unknown Wilson (father of the 5 men) and my Daniel were brothers. That is a very slim chance. I'll keep plodding along. I hope to go to WV in Ritchie Co. to see if I can find anything helpful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions