Search for content in message boards

Robert E Lee family

Robert E Lee family

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 7:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello! I'm searching for more info on Robert E. Lee. My maternal family tree supposedly has a connection to Lee, but I cannot seem to find the connection. The family named associated with Lee would possibly be "Barrington", but I cannot be sure. Has anyone performed an extensive survey of Lee's tree? I'm really interested in knowing these connections. Thanks!!

In His Service,

Rev. Joseph F. ODonnell

Re: Robert E Lee family

Posted: 19 Sep 2011 4:24AM GMT
Hi Rev. ODonnell,
Please give us more information, your parents names and birth information, death info, if they have died. Grandparents, even great grand parents if possible.

Yes, I have done a lot of research for my own Lee connections and have lots of information on lines that do not connect to me, but I still have on file to help others.

Have a great day!

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 11:33AM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2011 8:24PM GMT
You can find just about everything you need to know about CSA General Robert E Lee and his family in four books by CSA Col John Esten Cooke.

They are

The Life of General Robert E Lee
The Life of Hunter John Myers
The Life of Thomas Jefferson
The Life of Alexander Spotswood Dandridge.

John Eston Cooke is buried just a few feet from Gov Edmund Jennings Randolph who was Thomas Jefferson's cousin. They are at Bishop Meade's Old Chapel in Millwood VA.

Any other records of General Lee and his father that does not include his extended family in Pittsburgh, are most likely fiction.

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 7:46PM GMT
Thank you for that list. Every bit helps. Have a great day!

Y-DNA of Robert "King" Carter of VA

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 1:58PM GMT
Surnames: Lee Carter

One thing that is still not known about the Robert E. Lee family is the Y-DNA of his maternal Carter line.

I think it is fairly well accepted that the Carter line for General Lee goes like this:

1 - Robert "King" Carter & Judith Armistead
2 - John "Secretary" Carter of Corotoman Plantation & Elizabeth Hill
3 - Charles Carter of Shirley Plantation & Anne Butler Moore
4 - Anne Hill Carter & Henry Lee, III
5 - Robert E. Lee

There is a new group on Yahoo with the goal of identifying the Y-DNA of Robert "King" Carter of Virginia.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RKCVA/

Anyone with an interest in this topic is welcome to join.

Re: Y-DNA of Robert "King" Carter of VA

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 3:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2011 3:01PM GMT
The King Carter Estate is at Millwood VA. Millwood was called Millwood because General Daniel Morgan operated a mill there with the Burwell family. Just up the road is Bishop Meade's Old Chapel where Gov Edmund Jennings Randolph and a few feet away CSA Col John Esten Cooke are buried.

Across the road RT340 is Thomas Lord Fairfax's Estate.

Almost all the DNA necessary is in that old cemetery.

It is still good as they dug up John Spotswood about 8 years ago to move him to a better location and in the process, took DNA samples.

John Spotswood was the son of Alexander Spotswood.

National Dandridge married John Spotswoods sister. Their son Alexander Spotswood Dandridge was the subject of John Esten Cooke's book The Shadow of the Bower, The Life of Alexander Spotswood Dandridge.

The next book was The Life of General Robert E Lee who was a descendent of the Spotswoods. Third was The Life of Hunter John Myers also a relative of the Spotswoods. Last, The Life of Thomas Jefferson who's cousin Gov Edmund Jenning Randolph is buried at the Old Chapel with writer John Esten Cooke. Most likely also a relative.

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 3:14PM GMT

LOL!! Thanks but I think I'll pass on grave robbing for now. I'm still hoping to find living men who are willing to do the Y-DNA test.

The rule of Y-DNA triangulation is that you have to have matching Y-DNA from direct paternal line descendants of two sons to confirm the father. It has been reported that Robert "King" Carter had four sons who produced grandsons:

- John
- Robert
- Charles
- Landon

Matching Y-DNA from direct paternal line descendants of any two of these four sons will give the Y-DNA of Robert "King" Carter.

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 3:56PM GMT
They did not rob John Spotswood's grave site. For what ever reason they decided to move him to a better location.

My research is on the Spotswoods themselves and how my Myers family could be related to them.

Gov Spotswood had 4 children.

John
Ann
Dorothea
Robert

Robert was killed in Pittsburgh just outside Fort Duquesne. They say he was unmarried and had no known children. So they say.

John married Mary Dandridge and their son was General Alexander Spotswood. He married Elizabeth Washington. Then their son Alexander M Spotswood married Elizabeth Lewis a cousin of Meriwether Lewis.

Ann was married to Benjamin Moore and this is the line of General Robert E Lee

Dorothea married National Dandridge and their son was Alexander Spotswood Dandridge that John Esten Cooke writes about.

National Dandridge died and Dorothea married Patrick Henry and my Myers family attended the wedding.

The Myers family were boat builders in Pittsburgh at the time of Meriwether Lewis.

Alexander Spotswood

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: SPOTSWOOD
Did this Alexander Spotswood (or one of his descendants) have anything to do with surveying Clinton Co., Ohio? On an 1859 plat map I see "A. Spotswood 2705" listed.

Re: Alexander Spotswood

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 4:29PM GMT
Yes indeed he did. He was the very first white person to see the forks of the Ohio aka Pittsburgh with his Knights of the Golden Horseshoe.

This is the fight I have with the Spotswood Society. That is, exactly where the Forks of the Ohio, Ft Duquesne, Ft Dunmore, Ft Pitt and Pittsburgh are all located. They felt surely they can't be all be located in the exact same place.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions