Search for content in message boards

Getting Soundex results when surname checked ~exact~

Getting Soundex results when surname checked ~exact~

Posted: 27 Jan 2012 9:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
This is when searching from a tree in NewSearch.

Please put a stop to this.

Sincerely,
Jade

Re: Getting Soundex results when surname checked ~exact~

Posted: 30 Jan 2012 5:46PM GMT
Hi Jade,

Are you still seeing the issue? Could this be from someone having entered a correction to the record? I've not seen or heard of this issue before, so any details or screen caps you can provide will help.

John

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 3:38AM GMT
I saw this again yesterday. There was no indication in the result that there had been some user-suggested correction; the names were completely unrelated, except for Soundex equivalence. I have not done much of that type of searching today.

Around the same time the original post was made here, also got weird results with exact-search place (using drop-down) Clearfield County, Pennsylvania. The only results I got were for Bradford and Lawrence Counties. Was looking for a US Census item. Have not seen this again.

If I run into it again will post screenshots and URLs.

With all the other systemic glitches since last Thurs., possibly the above were seen while someone was making adjustments.

Thanks for your response, John.

Jade

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 4:18AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2012 4:20AM GMT
Here's one. Attached are search parameters plus a section of results. Searching in 'military' category, no subset specified.

http://tinyurl.com/6vglk3b

Note complete absence of correspondence between firstname items and results. I would normally convert the items in the first-name field to something like "Abr*m*."

Jade
Attachments:

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 5:35PM GMT
Hi Jade,

SARS applications index all people mentioned in the lineage. For the suspect records, mother's name for the record in question is listed as Isabella A Longley. As a result, last name matches exactly and first name is matching on the initial A.

BTW, it also looks like they did not index gender. Not a near term fix, but I'll see if they can do soemthing about that.

John

Posted: 1 Feb 2012 12:15AM GMT
John,

I apologize for not looking at the SAR items and not finding the Longley surname there. Glad that one was not an example (although the search result is somewhat deceptively displayed). In SAR items for my actual ancestors, the search-person's name is displayed in search results. I just have not seen examples where this is not the case.

Thank you,
Jade

Posted: 1 Feb 2012 12:19AM GMT
No worries. I would like to improve the display for those SAR records, but suspect it is something that would be quite a ways down the priority list.

Do post back if you find any other searches where exact doesn't seem to be working right. I'm happy to look into those and figure out what is going on.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions