Search for content in message boards

Ball-Crutchfield Connection?

Ball-Crutchfield Connection?

Alice Mason (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ball, Crutchfield
Robertson (or Robinson) CRUTCHFIELD was probably the son of Thomas CRUTCHFIELD, who lived in Wilkinson Co. GA in the early 1800's. Robertson named one of his sons Anson Ball CRUTCHFIELD, and I note with interest that Anson BALL was one of the early settlers of Wilkinson Co. Does anyone know of a BALL-CRUTCHFIELD connection?

Other children of Thomas CRUTCHFIELD were Hilliard, Martha Ann, John, Franklin, Elizabeth and Mary CRUTCHFIELD. Any information about this family would be appreciated.

Ball- Crutchfield Connection

Posted: 19 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2001 3:38AM GMT
Surnames: Ball, Crutchfield, Robinson
From the book "Alexander Carswell and Isabella Brown" by Mildred & George Bond.

John Ball, living in the Camden District, SC, served in the Rev. War (1) as a private in Col. John Stewart's Regiment, (2) as a private in a battalion of
Minute Men under Col. Samuel Jack, 1777-1778, and (3) in Col. Wm. Bratton's Regiment in 1780-1782. He received a Bounty grant of 250 acres in
Wilkes County, Georgia, in 1785, his certificate (No 705) being signed by E. Clark, Col. He and his wife, ___? Robinson of SC had the following
children:

1. Anson, b. 2 June 1781, (who married Phoebe Jenkins, 2 Aug 1801, Warren Co Ga. Vol. 1, pg. 188, dau. of Robert Jenkins. pmp)
2. Nancy, b. 7 Feb 1783.
3. Mary, b. 10 Jan 1785 (she has descendants in Tn, some bearing the name Berrit.)
4. Rachel Ada, b. 19 Oct 1791, who married Thomas Crutchfield (See DAR No. 55590.)
5. Elizabeth, b. 6 Nov 1796.
6. Patsy, b. 22 Aug 1799. (Belived to have married Alexander Carswell V.)
7. Cynthia (Sethy), b. 20 July 1801, who married 1st. ___? Pugh and 2nd. Edward Valentine.
8. Sarah, who married Ezekiel Adams (See John Ball estate, Estates Record of Returns 1820-
1828, Court of Ordinary, Wilkinson County, Ga.)

Please contact me if you have any info on this family.

Re: Ball- Crutchfield Connection

Karen Groce (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2002 9:50PM GMT
I find your posting re: John BALL of Camden District, SC very interesting. You have as one of his children Cynthia (Sethy) b. 20 July 1801 Wilkinson Co. GA, as marrying first a Mr. PUGH and second Edward VALENTINE. Cytha (as she spelled her name) was married to Edward VAN LANDINGHAM, a name often shown misspelled. I've always assumed her maiden name was PUGH but haven't been able to find her parents. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong direction then, after seeing your post. Could you tell me what link you have between Cytha PUGH and John BALL? I can give you Cytha's descendants if you want this info. She and husband moved to Barbour Co. AL and then Drew Co. AR. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Alice Mason (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2002 10:42PM GMT
I have not done any research myself on the Ball family. My information came from various postings on the Ball forum at genforum.com. Go to the Ball listing and then search on Anson - that name is sufficiently unusual to pull up the John Ball of interest.

Alice

Posted: 8 Feb 2005 11:44PM GMT
Surnames: Pugh, Vanlandingham, Caple, Edwards, Bigham
I am also interested in the Pugh/Vanlandingham connection to Arkansas. My grandmother was Ruby Minnie Vanlandingham, daughter of James Edward, son of James Franklin, son of Thomas Edward, b.1793 Edgecombe, NC. who I have married to Cytha Pugh. Does any of this match with what you are looking for? susan Caple Gardner
sgard10720@aol.com

Re: VanLandingham/Pugh family

Karen Groce (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2005 2:51PM GMT
Surnames: VANLANDINGHAM, PUGH
Yes, this is the same family. I'm still trying to find out if Cytha PUGH was in fact a PUGH or a BALL. I can't find a PUGH that I think was her father. The fact that numerous PUGHs moved to southeast AR at the same time as Edward VANLANDINGHAM gives support to her being a PUGH, but I would like firm evidence. I don't have any information about your James Edward VL, but would like to know more about his family - children, wife's name, etc. Btw, I don't list Edward VL as Thomas Edward like some folks do. I don't ever find him with the name Thomas. On all legal documents I've found, he is listed just as Edward VL. I'll gladly share info I have on the family with you. Contact me privately and we can discuss this more. Thanks for the contact. :-)

Re: VanLandingham/Pugh family

Posted: 18 Feb 2005 3:46PM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2005 1:39AM GMT
Surnames: Vanlandingham, Pugh, Caple, Edwards Hogue
Will be happy to share info, my email address is Sgard10720@aol.com

Re: Ball-Crutchfield Connection?

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 4:01AM GMT
Hello,
I am researching the Crutchfield family from N. C.
John Crutchfield B. 1794, I am not positive ,but my information John had a Brother , they drove a wagon from Wilkinson Co. Ga to Savannah Ga. for supplies for the Generaal Mdse Store.
Would this be thesame John and Thomas of my line.
The John Crutchfield I am researching married Sarah Statham in 1817 Wilkinson Co. Ga. Sarah died June 23, 1829 in Wilkinson Co. Ga.
They had four children.
Meredith, Thomas Jefferson, John Jr. and Sarah.
My information on one side tells me John Sr. died 1836 in Wilkinson Co.
My other information says John Sr. married Mary (Jackson).Wilkinson Co. Ga.
This maiden name has not been proven yet.However their first son was named William Jackson?

They had three boys.
William Jackson, Phillip Madison, ( my wife's gggrandfather ) Richard Bryant.
They appear in Holmes County, Florida in the 1850 Census.
If you have any information on this to share, It would be greatly appreciated
My email address is

cimkaye@aol.com

\Thank you for your time.
Daniel Happy Williams

Crutchfield Connection?

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 2:44PM GMT
Surnames: Crutchfield-Jackson
From which Jackson family did Mary Jackson who married John Crutchfield Sr. belong?
Do you know who her father was?
Thank you for your time.
betty

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 4:01PM GMT
Surnames: Ball Wilkinson-Baker Co GA (1850)
Does the book by Mildred and George Bond have any primary source documentation? There are so many John Balls in the south at this time. and since there is no 1790, 1800, or 1810 GA census it makes it difficult for all of us researching during this time period.

I am interested in the children of John Ball and any primary source information that you might have. I only have book reference from Wilkinson Co GA history writings of Joseph Maddox. Joseph Maddox did great research and he was such a nice and knowledgeable man but he did not document his information.

Do you have primary source information on;
"1. Anson, b. 2 June 1781, (who married Phoebe Jenkins, 2 Aug 1801, Warren Co Ga. Vol. 1, pg. 188, dau. of Robert Jenkins. pmp)"
Anson is on the Wilkinson Co GA 1820,1830-1840 Census.
There is one William and an Isaac Ball on the 1810 Lincoln Co Tax digest. Lincoln was cut from Wilkes c 1796.

1850 Census Baker Co GA
Anson Ball age 70 b SC Dist 1, p 87, and Phebe Ball age 65 b GA. They are in the household of Milton C. Ball, age 29.
I believe he is buried in Old Balls Church cemetery in Wilkinson Co GA but there is no marker.And I have no clue about the burial site of Phoebe.

It would be reasonable to assume that she outlived her husband and if she died any time during the civil war they could have buried her in Baker Co. GA since it might have been difficult to get her body back to Wilkinson Co GA.

I have not researched any cemetery records of Baker Co GA. Has anyone out there done this?
Thank you for your time.
betty
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions