Search for content in message boards

Jonathan Seaver/Margaret Harris

Posted: 7 Jan 2001 2:12PM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2001 4:47PM GMT
Im seeking a death date for Jonathan Seaver (William4, Joshua3, Joshua 2, Robert1) born Dec 20, 1753 to William Seaver and Patience Trescott, who married Margaret Harris Oct 28, 1792 in Boston. I'm also seeking any info re Margaret Harris and Patience Trescott. Thanks.

Posted: 7 Jan 2001 8:44PM GMT
Edited: 4 Feb 2002 5:31AM GMT
Hi Janet,

My database shows that Jonathan Seaver born 20 Dec 1753 died June 1820 in Boston. I think this was in the Boston newspaper Columbian Centinel or similar, I can check my notes if you'd like.

I don't have any info on the parents of Margaret Harris - I checked IGI and AF and didn't see anyone obvious. She may be in Boston birth or church records. I have that she died August 1826 in Boston, aged 67 (so that makes her birth ca 1759).

My data on Patience Trescott says she was born 20 Mar 1722/3 in Dorchester, daughter of John and Sarah (Topliff) Trescott. This is info from Dorchester VRs and IGI - not proven by anything else. But, the given name is fairly unique!

Regards -- Randy

Posted: 8 Jan 2001 2:11PM GMT
Edited: 8 Nov 2001 4:47PM GMT
Hi Randy,
Thanks for the death info on Jonathan and Margaret. If it's not too much trouble I like to know your sources.
I think Margaret's mother may have been a Curtis since Jonathan and Margaret named a daughter (my ancestor) Elizabeth Curtis Seaver.
Thanks so much for your help. Janet

Posted: 8 Jan 2001 10:10PM GMT
Edited: 4 Feb 2002 5:31AM GMT
Hi Janet,

I looked for the death records for Jonathan and Margaret. They were obituaries in the Columbian Centinel which was published in Boston. Jonathan was in the issue of 14 June, 1820, noting he was age 67 (which fits his 1753 birthdate). Mrs. Margaret Seaver died in Boston on Tuesday before 5 April 1826, age 67. I have made the assumption that this is Jonathan's widow, although it doesn't say so. There may be a Boston death record for these folks, but I haven't found it yet if it exists.

The book I found is "Index to Obituaries in the Massachusetts Centinel and Columbian Centinel, 1784-1840," I don't have author or publisher. There is a similar index for marriages for the same dates. I'm sure NEHGS has it, San Diego public library had it.

The only child I have for Jonathan and Margaret is Catherine, born 6 March 1797 in Cambridge. You mentioned Elizabeth Curtis Seaver - do you have a birth date/place? Any other siblings? Is this the Elizabeth C. Seaver who married John C. Burt in Boston before 19 July 1817?

Do you know if this was Jonathan's first marriage? There was a Jonathan Sever of dorchester who married Priscilla Leeds and had children in Dorchester from 1774 to 1784l; Priscilla died in 1787. This Jonathan apparently died in Troy NY. My data says that this Jonathan was the son of Joshua and Abigail (Foster) Sever of Dorchester.

There was also an Elizabeth Curtis Seaver born 2 Oct 1797 in Roxbury to William and Lucy (Heath) Seaver of Roxbury, who married John Hayward 3 July 1823 in Roxbury. I assume that your Elizabeth is not this one. This was a granddaughter of Peleg and Patience (Curtis) Heath.

Neither Jonathan nor Margaret Seaver left a probate record in Suffolk, Middlesex or Norfolk counties.

Regards -- Randy

rjseaver@home.com

Re: Jonathan Seaver/Margaret Harris

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 8:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Patience Trescott was the daughter of John Trescott and Sarah Topliff Born 20 March 1722/23,Dorchester,Suffolk co:Mass. She died 15 March 1799,Dorchester,Mass. She Married William Seaver 1 Feb 1742/43 in Dorchester Mass.No Childern Listed.

Re: Jonathan Seaver/Margaret Harris

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 3:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi and thanks for answering my 10-year-old query. I have the information you gave me about Patience Trescott but am delighted that the query is still out there. Patience Trescott and William Seaver were my 5th great grandparents. They had 11 children, the sixth being my ancestor Jonathan Seaver, b. 20 Dec 1753 in Dorchester, d. June 1820 in Boston. Jonathan married Margaret Harris 28 Oct 1792 in Boston. I'm particularly interested in finding out the ancestry of Margaret Harris. Based on her age 67 at death, she was born abt 1759 and died in Aug 1826. Jonathan Seaver and Margaret Harris had children Margaret, Elizabeth C., Catherine, Charles and Roxanna Seaver. Based on their death ages, Margaret and Elizabeth Seaver were likely twins, b. abt 12 Apr 1795 in Roxbury. They married brothers William Burt and John C. Burt, John and Elizabeth being my 3rd great grandparents. Elizabeth is buried in Provincetown with her second husband, Israel Russell.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic