Search for content in message boards

C.S. BELL COMPANY

C.S. BELL COMPANY

Posted: 5 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2003 4:39PM GMT
Searching for information on the C.S. Bell Company that was in Highland Co. Ohio.
When it started, when it closed down etc.

r9800767@axom.com

C S Bell

Posted: 12 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2003 4:39PM GMT
Sorry Judy I've not found anything as of yet.

CS Bell Company

Judy Moore (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
I am looking for history on this company. I have a bell marked C & S Bell Company, Hillsboro Ohio, and New York 1886. Would appreciate any help you could give! Thank you.

C.SBell

Jane Spargur (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
DearBarb & Judy:
I will send you by e-mail an article that appeared in the Hillsboro Times Gazette yesterday. I think you will find it interesting. Jane

C SBell Company

Posted: 26 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2002 1:15AM GMT
This company was in Hillsboro Oh. I don't know the dates but I am sure you could write the Historical Society for info. They have a Festival of the Bells in Hillsboro every year.

CS Bell

Kevin Keister (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Odland, Keister, Bell
In Hillsboro, Ohio, Highland Co. my in-laws, Dr. Lawrence and Mrs. Dorothy Odland, along with their daughter and my wife, have restored the victorian CS Bell Mansion. The CS Bell Company produced large bells in the later part of the 19th century. CS was a leading citizen, even having an Opera House built in the first block of the downtown Hillsboro business section. The unused Opera House still stands today with seating listed at 999 to accomodate a more favorable insurance rate.

C.S. Bell Foundry / some history

Posted: 3 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Aug 2003 1:06PM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Old Clarence, Lee
From the book, Folklore of Highland County, by Violet Morgan, 1946

"A unique contribution to the world today is the result of the establishment of the C.S. Bell Foundry on West Beech street in Hillsboro in 1858, by C.S. Bell from Cumberland, Md. The foundry was moved a few years later to its present quarters on Railroad street.

"The main products were plows, cooking stoves, sorghum mills, feed and grinding mills, both power and hand, cane grinding mills, cane and maple syrup evaporators, and a machine called the "Tortilla," used in Mexico for crushing hominy. Later, coffee and rice machines were featured products.

"Then Mr. Bell accidentally dropped a piece of metal. Its resonant tone gave him the idea of making bells of iron instead of the more expensive brass or bronze. By 1899, bells for churches, schools, alarms, and farm purposes were being shipped to many parts of the world.

"When an emergency order at the beginning of World War II limited the use of bronze and brass to actuall combat essentials, Virginia Bell, executive director of the foundry, and granddaughter of the founder, realized that the thousands of United States ships being built would have to have bells. Since Navy bells are bronze, she immediately went to work on the idea of supplying bells for their ships.

"She sent her production manager to Washington to solicit a trial order for bells. As a result, since that eventful day, more than 26,000 bells were cast for the Navy, for civilian defense, and for the Maritime Commission; and this included all kinds of fighting ships, cruisers, flat-tops, and landing craft.

"The remarkable thing about it all is the fact that these bells are made from a secret formula known only to two persons, Miss Bell, and "Old Clarence," the colored cupola tender who has been in the employ of the foundry for a life time. They guard the secret carefully. Officials of the foundry say the bells are made not from copper, tin, or zinc, but from "steel alloy." Before they are shipped the Reverend Ignatius Lee, a Presbyterian minister, inspects and blesses them."

From elsewhere in the same book:

"In January, 1880, the Columbus and Maysville Railroad Company was organized in Hillsboro, with C.S. Bell as president.... "

CS Bell

Kevin Keister (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Odland, Keister
Mark,

I live in Hillsboro OH / Highland Co. We are 60+ miles east of Cincinnati. Hillsboro was the home of the CS Bell Co. which made the bell you have. I know by being here 10 years that CS Bell was one of, if not THE, most prominent bell mfg. co. in the world at that time. We have a yearly festival here, held around the 4th of July. It shuts down the "courthouse square" for 3 days and is called "The Festival of the Bells". Let me dig a bit more for you to see what else I can find out specifically about the bell and the CS Bell Co. His name was Bell if it is confusing.
Thanks,
Kevin Keister

C.S.Bell

mark (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
I have a bell that is approximately 20" in Diameter and has a No. 20 yoke. It weighs approx. 200lbs and was manufactured by C.S. Bell company in the mid 1800's I am trying to find more information about the bell or the company. My email address is markdeb@lvcm.com
if you can help me out. Thanks

Bells and bells, a message just for fun

Posted: 11 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2002 7:44PM GMT
This response reminds me of something my grandfather's cousin wrote to him long ago. The cousin was quoting from an article in the Alburg, Vermont, "Gazeteer" in the late 1800's: "In McDougal's History of Scotland, the following was found.'John Austin... a native of Glasgow, Scotland,...invented the tulip shaped bell. for this he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth and afterwards took the name of Bell' ... an unyielding Presbyterian,... he was obliged to flee and went to Tyrone county, Ireland..."
The Bells appear to be involved with that sonorous instrument that brings people to church!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic