Search for content in message boards

Stokes & Sarah Steptoe of Millican, Tx(Brazos)

Stokes & Sarah Steptoe of Millican, Tx(Brazos)

Posted: 2 Oct 2011 3:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am the Great Great Great grand daughter of Stokes(b. 1840) & Sarah(b.1843) Steptoe. Stokes Jr.(b.1877) & Carry(b.1878) Steptoe had a daughter named Nellie Steptoe(b.1901?), she was my great grandmother! I am looking for anyone related to this clan. We're planning a 2012 Steptoe family reunion in Dallas, Tx.

Re: Stokes & Sarah Steptoe of Millican, Tx(Brazos)

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 5:31AM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2012 1:49PM GMT
i am from the steptoes on matt wright rd in millican texas. MY grandmother and grandfather are Glifford Pleze Steptoe and Arlene Lynette wilburn-Steptoe. My great grand fathers name was Arthur Julius Steptoe and his wife was Vera Cook-Steptoe. My great great grand parents were Pleze Steptoe and Nannie Mae Robinson-Steptoe. I am African-American. It is said that my great geat grand father met and married his wife Vera in an indian reservation in oklahoma.I'll post more when I get more information. But if you know more information or are related please contact me at beatzbydaboss@gmail.com. I really want to know who my family is. Some of the steptoes did move to dallas texas as well as atlanta georgia. Apparently there are a lot of Steptoe's everywhere...lol But I really want to know who my family is because my grandmother wants to know who everyone is bfore she passes. Anyone who reads this please contact me as soon as possible with any information so my family tree may b complete...God Bless

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 11:36AM GMT
Where did you get Tom? I implore you? Find the money to attend the family reunion and also purchase a subscription to ancestry.com. There are no Caucasian Steptoe(s) listed on the Texas Slave Census for 1860. Guessing your family relocated to Texas after the Civil War? That's partially supported by family members listed on the 1867 Voter Registration Rolls. Glifford's parents were Arthur Steptoe (22 Aug 1907 - 2 Dec 1989) and Vera Cook (17 Jan 1909 - 8 Feb 1991). Arthur's parents were Pleas Steptoe and Nannie Roberson.

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 1:34PM GMT
You are very correct about that geneology. I found that information out about my grandparents a few minutes after I posted it by looking in the obituaries I have for my grandparents and great grand parents. But I am still looking for my other family members. Are you related to me? If you have more information please let me know. When is the family reunion? I know we have more family but only my aunt and I are currentlyb trying to complete the family tree for my grandmother.

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 4:51PM GMT
If I was related, we'd already know each other! I don't hesitate! The original posting mentions a reunion in Dallas and that's what I was referring to. Most families have reunions in the summer when kids are not in school. I actually got happy when I started research into your family. African American genealogy is difficult because of the lack of "paper trails". Many people in Texas came from the older southern states as slaves. They travelled with slavemasters thus relatives left behind are difficult to locate. Your family may have been "free" blacks? That's based on information in the 1867 Voter Registration Rolls. Pleasant, Giles, and Thomas Steptoe all indicated they had lived in Texas and Brazos County for seven years. That means they arrived in 1860 prior to the outbreak of hostilities in the Civil War. The only way they could have travelled, without arrest, was accompanied by an owner or as a "free person of color"! It is possible for you to trace roots back to Virginia and locate previously unknown relatives.

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 5:00PM GMT
Pleas Steptoe married Nannie Roberson, 7 Jan 1892, in Brazos County. I'm having difficuly identifying his parents! I'm leaning towards James "Jim" Steptoe 'cause they lived next to each other in 1910? That's not proof of anything! Jim could have been his uncle? For certain, Pleasant Steptoe born ca. 1800 in Virginia was the leader of the clan. Variations of this name handed down to Pleas and Glifford Pleze Steptoe. Nannie Roberson was daughter of Orlanda "Landa" Roberson and Mary. Respond quickly and I'll continue research. Slow responses indicates a lack of interest and I'll move on to something else.

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 6:50AM GMT
I dated a relative years ago of the Steptoe family from Millican. I am African American and friends with the family. If you are still interested in info please respond.

Posted: 17 Apr 2014 1:48PM GMT
My father's family was from Millican and last name Steptoe. My grandparents are Willie Steptoe and Merlinda Berry Steptoe. Any information about the Steptoes will be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 17 Apr 2014 7:17PM GMT
"Houston" we've got a problem, or two! What's your father's name? Malinda/Merlinda Berry wed Robert Steptoe, 25 Nov 1906 in Brazos. I'm neither related or acquainted. I do possess "world class" lookup skills and will happily share same. Robert/Malinda had two sons: Willie and Eddie. Am I on the right track? If so, I have an offer for you? Start a family tree then invite me as "editor". That'll save me from a whole bunch of typing while sending info. Robert was the son of Moses and grandson of Pleasant. Malinda was the daughter of William Berry and Willie Nephew.

Posted: 18 Apr 2014 5:45AM GMT
Thanks! My father's name is Robert Lee Steptoe (1928-2013). His father's name is Willie Steptoe. Robert Steptoe and Merlinda Berry are his parents who had 2 sons (Willie and Eddie). I have tracked them back to Pleasant Steptoe. The problem Is my grandmother. She was married to Willie, had several children and died at the age of 28 in 1929. Her name was Martha Brooks on my aunt's birth record then changed to Martha Coleman. Her father was Mose Coleman and mother's name Nancy Grmes (as spelled on her death cert). She was from Limestone County (per death record). Any help getting thru this brick wall is greatly appreciated!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic