Search for content in message boards

MARTIN or BELL surnames Jewish?

MARTIN or BELL surnames Jewish?

Posted: 10 Jan 2009 3:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Dec 2011 1:27PM GMT
Surnames: Bell , Martin
Is Martin a jewish name or could Bell. My paternal grandfather was "Bell", My maternal father was Joseiah Martin(born Oct 1, 1886. My mother was born in Northunberland England. A town called Stakeford. I do remember her mentioning a Jewish background, It was a long time ago and she has since passed away. I want to know if I can find out more info.

Re: Martin or Bell surnames Jewish???...

Posted: 11 Jan 2009 11:42AM GMT
Almost any last name can be Jewish, even before intermarriage was common. You are going to have to do some real reasearch to be able to say yes or no.

BTW, do you know what the fourth most common Jewish last name is? It will probably suprise you.

Posted: 11 Jan 2009 5:21PM GMT
4th most common name...Josiah, I dont know. How do I go about researching their history, I do have birth dates and some census records, but that is about it.

Posted: 12 Jan 2009 11:03PM GMT
Miller is the fourth most common Jewish last name. It doesn't exactly sound Jewish does it?

As for how to research, have you checked out the learning center here at Ancestry?

In general, you'll need to look for records above and beyond census records.

Posted: 13 Jan 2009 12:31AM GMT
Miller, I would never had guessed. Well thanks for your help. I guess I have a lot more work cut out for me.

Posted: 10 Jun 2011 10:22PM GMT
Hi GR8tree
My name is David Martin and I am from a Jewish family of Martin's. I am also from the UK and my family have been there for a very long time. We were origionaly Saphardic origin and became ashkinazie over time. We were origionaly members of the Beavis Marks synagogue in London which has Sephardic orthodox origins but later became more reform and ashkenazie. My Great Grandmothers family were Moss.
Just saw your blog and thought it was interesting.
I know a number of other Martin's in the UK not related to myself also.

Posted: 10 Jun 2011 11:16PM GMT
Hi dgmartinrealty,

It was very nice of you to take the time to reply. My mother who was a Martin (her mothers surname was Bell), mentioned to me many years ago about the Jewish background. She has been gone since 1992, so this is something that I can no longer ask. I wished I had asked more questions way back when. Thanks again for your time.

GR8tee

Re: MARTIN or BELL surnames Jewish???...

Posted: 14 Jun 2011 6:42PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jun 2011 2:21PM GMT
Surnames: warchofsky, wolf
i had relatives in p ortland maine with surname bell which i am sure was changed from something like warchofsky.
both sister and brother had different surnames thereore.
they are related to the late atty wolf , atty for the boston celtics .

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 10:34PM GMT
My last name is Bell and I am Jewish. My father is from Moldova. His name was changed from Zilberman to Bell once the family arrived in America

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 9:57AM GMT
Hi, my great great grandfather William Bell, was born in Cologne Prussia in 1830, and I too am wondering if he was jewish also. He went to Australia to the gold mines in about 1845 and then to New Zealand.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic