Search for content in message boards

Edmund Fanning-Co.Tipperary

Edmund Fanning-Co.Tipperary

Posted: 29 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jul 2001 3:39PM GMT
Surnames: FANNING, CANTWELL, BUTLER
Could someone please tell me the name of Edmund Fanning's father? I have two possibilities. One source says Edmund Fanning was b 1620 in Ballingarry, Tipperary son of Nicholas and Ellen (CANTWELL); another source says Edmund's father was Dominicus, Mayor of Drogheda. Edmund was supposedly married to Ellen BUTLER IN 1650 in Tipperary; Edmund and Ellen (Butler) FANNING had 12 children, Edmund Jr. c 1639, John c 1640, Thomas c 1641, William c 1650, Edmund again c 1651, Margaret b Connecticut 1653, Thomas b NY 1655, Edmund again b Ireland c 1655, John b NY c 1657, William b c 1659 NY, James b 1663 Connecticut, and Marie Ellen b 1665 Connecticut. Can someone help with this, please?

Re: Edmund Fanning-Co.Tipperary

Posted: 28 Jun 2001 6:55PM GMT
Your Edmund Fanning sounds a lot like the Edmund Fanning I'm looking for, with a few changes. My Edmund Fanning was born in 1620 in Ireland (I don't know for certain where), married an Ellen in 1649, and had a daughter, Marie (my ancestress), in 1665 in Connecticut. There is a book on the families of Stonington, CT, that lists Edmund's father as Francis Fanning, who was Sheriff of Limerick in 1632 and Mayor in 1644, and who was transported (?) to Connaught after fighting Cromwell's army. The Fannings apparently go back in Limerick for quite a while as sheriffs and mayors. I'm still looking for proof--where did you find your sources?

melanie fanning (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2004 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: fanning
hi, I have been doing extensive research into "our" family. I am a descendant of Edmund fanning born 1620 in tipperary
His wife was Ellen Butler (1623) of Limerick They were married in 1650 in Tipperary
They immigrated to Ct. and Edmund Jr. was born in Stonington where there now reside many Fannings. Edmund Jr's son was my great gerat grandfather.
I have several history books that my dad is going to bring down for me to make my search much easier.Any luck?

Edmund's father was Nicolas married to Elln Cantwell

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 7:07AM GMT
Are you saying that Edmund & Ellen had 3 children before they were married in 1650???

Posted: 16 Nov 2012 11:58PM GMT
Hello! I noticed you were having problems finding edmund fanning's father. According yo my mother's paperwork that she gave me his father was Dominick who was mayor and was beheaded during the Cromwell invasion in 1649 at the battle of Drogheda. I hope you have'nt given up or it's to late
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions