Search for content in message boards

SCATES In 1830 Carroll Co

SCATES In 1830 Carroll Co

Posted: 14 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Jul 2001 2:51AM GMT
Surnames: scates
Am looking for anyone with info on William, J.H.,Henry or W.R. Scates who were in Carroll Co. Tenn on 1830 federal census or anyone whose family has a Scates ancestor! Thanks!

Scates Families

Joe Butler (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Scates
There were a number of Carroll Co., TN families that moved to Carroll Co., AR and Stone Co. MO in the 1840's timeframe. In the book "Carroll County Families: These Were The First" there is mention of the families that moved from TN. I believe some of the Scates as well as Butler families were part of this migration. Most notably was Nealy Butler from whom Pres. Lyndon Johnson was descended.

I also believe that the Scates and Butler families are related.

Check out this address for info on the book. http://www.rootsweb.com/~arcchs/hspub.html

There may also be someone there that can do a lookup for you.

Hope this helps.
Posted: 31 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 10:54PM GMT
Surnames: Scates, McDonald, Easley
My g-grandmother was Elizabeth J. Scates, daughter of Albert N. Scates and Phoebe Easley. Elizabeth married David McDonald. The family migrated from NC and landed in the Christmasville area of Carroll County, TN.

Are we working on the same families?

Scates Family in Carroll Cty, TN

Posted: 5 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Scates
My Carroll County Scates came from Halifax County, VA. Joseph, William Zachariah and Zebulon were four brothers in Halifax Cty, VA. I descend from Zebulon, who was b. 1750 in Halifax Cty, VA. m. Letty Pettey in 1799. Sons, Albert N. and Fountain T. were born same place. Albert and Fountain both migrated to Carroll County.

Does this fit with your genealogy?

Jenny

Scates of Carroll Co Tn

Posted: 5 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hi Jenny,
I descend from a Carolina branch of the Scates. Do you know what ancestor of A.N.'s came from NC? So far I have been able to track all the Carolina people from there back to either William or Matthew Scates who moved south from Va. in 1790's. I have reason to believe that several of William's family moved to Carroll Co.,Tn. Please let me know your Carolina connection!

Debbie
Posted: 6 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Jenny, I am familiar a little with A.N. and Fountain but did not know of any connection they had to the Carolinas.
Saw your message mention migrating from NC to Tenn and wondered when they lived there and if they were close to my line who lived at the bottom of NC near the SC border. Some of the Scates from my line also migrated to Carroll Co.,Tenn.around 1815, the oldest of which was William Scates b. @1760 in Va. Could there be a link?

Debbie
Posted: 8 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Scates, Petty, Easley
Debbie,
Thanks for your response. I have just begun working on my Scates line and was mistaken in my info that Zebulon Scates, my g-g-g-grandfather and family, migrated from NC. My info shows 4 brothers in Halifax County, VA: Joseph (m. Nancy Franklin, Elizbeth Boxley and possibly Nancy Bruce); William (m. Nancy Keeling); Zebulon (m. Letty Petty); and Zachariah (m. first ?, and Martha Winfrey). Zebulon's two sons, Albert N. (b. 1800, m. Phebe Easley 1830 Halifax Cty, VA) and Fountain T. (b. 1804, m. Judith B. Easley 1824 Halifax Cty, VA) came from Halifax County, VA to TN about 1831. Fountain T. went to Weakley Cty, TN and Albert N. to Carroll Cty, TN.

Is the William Scates above your William Scates?
What info do you have on Fountain T. and Albert N.? I'll be glad to share with you. The majority of my info comes a from a paper, "The Scates Migration to West Tennessee", by Graden Featherstone.

Any info will be appreciated.

Jenny
Posted: 9 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Jenny, thanks much! My William was born about 1760 in Va.
Settled on the NC/SC border in 1790's. Have been at a loss to find his Va. family. Was hoping yours had been in NC and possibly kin! I have heard of your branch but not being able to connect, I did no more research on them! Who knows maybe they are cousins and we will someday find out as there are plenty of Williams and Josephs in my bunch too!!
Thanks again!
Posted: 2 Aug 2001 3:35AM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2001 2:58AM GMT
Surnames: Scates, Quillen, Boozel
I am new at tracing my family tree, but am a descendent of Zebulon Scates. I believe William Scates was his father, born 1741 in Halifax Co. VA and married Mary KERSEY. I am trying to find information on Rebecca J. Hannings, first wife of Elisha Scates. Elisha was the son of Joseph Scates, whose father was Zebulon. I would like to identify Rebecca Hannings parents, where she was born, and the cause of her young death. Any information on this Scates family line would be appreciated.

Re: Scates

debbie (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2001 8:40PM GMT
Penny, I know only a little about this branch myself although my line in Carroll Co came from Va. also. Is this Elisha the one who stayed in Tennessee?

Debbie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic