Search for content in message boards

CAPTAIN KIDD

CAPTAIN KIDD

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 11:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 May 2006 2:11PM GMT
Surnames: Kidd, Johnston,
I have no proof, just heresay that my fathers maternal side KIDD was related to this so named Captain.
My Kidd family tree started in Ireland 1832 later came to the US and settled in MI,
My G grandfather came to Canada around 1901

any relation?

Re: CAPTAIN KIDD

Posted: 20 Feb 2005 4:39AM GMT
My Grandmother was Barbara Gibson Kidd, of Bedlington, Northumberland. Her Father was Robert Kidd, and grandfather was Luke M kidd. A relative that emigrated to Canada had traced the family line back to Captain Kidd, who was hung for piracy. He in turn had a dutch ancestry, supposed to be spelt Kydde, and they came from a guy who was a galleon slave in the spanish armada that got sunk and he floated ashore in Holland. His name was El Cid. He had red hair that is supposed to have been from the Moores of Morocco. I have only heard this passed down in our family and I want to find the proof. The Dutch Kyddes were Hugenots and were persecuted, so escaped to England. They brought all their wealth in the form of lace wrapped around the babies to avoid customs duty. I have a carved stone jug from that time that they brought over.

Posted: 20 Feb 2005 2:28PM GMT
Surnames: Kidd Kyddson
that's interesting.. and the most information I have been given
As for the name change, my G grand father spelt his last name KYDDSON, later that was shorten( I suppose) it KIDD.
BUT he is listed in the 1881 Census for USA as Kyddson, and only one of his sons still carried that surname, the one that stayed in the UK who was a seaman.

Posted: 21 Feb 2005 12:50AM GMT
Surnames: Kidd,
Robert Kidd
was that Robert Johnston Kidd?

True origins of Captain William Kidd

Sandra Kidd (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2005 10:33PM GMT
For those who are interested in the life of Captain William Kidd, the Scottish-born sea captain turned privateer who made his home in New York City, there is a well-written, well-researched and interesting biography published in 2002 by Hyperion Press: "The Pirate Hunter: The True Story of Captain Kidd," by Richard Zacks. The book is a fascinating read, with a great deal of previously unknown original records used as source material, and recommended to history buffs or those interested in this man whose surname we share.
For those who simply want the bare facts of William Kidd's life, however: William Kidd was born 22 January 1654 in Dundee, Scotland. His father, a sea captain, died when he was 5, and his mother was pensioned as a widow by the Local Seafarer's Society. Kidd eventually settled in New York City, on lower Wall Street, where he married Sarah Bradley Cox Oort, the British-born daughter of Col. Samuel Bradley, Jr. Sarah was b ca 1670, and had buried two husbands--William Cox and John Oort, both merchants--prior to marrying William Kidd. Their marriage liscense was granted in New York City 16 May 1691. William and Sarah had one daughter, Sarah. After Kidd was hanged in London 23 May 1701, Sarah remarried once again: this time in 1703 to merchant Christopher Rousby. This couple had four children; the youngest was named William. Sarah outlived husband number four and died in 1744. Part of her estate went to her grandchildren by daughter Sarah. William Kidd's only daughter Sarah married Joseph Latham, a shipbuilder. She died prior to 1732, when her mother wrote her will at age 62. Therefore, any known DNA descendants of Captain William Kidd the pirate would have to be identified through the family of Sarah Kidd Latham, only through an unbroken matrilineal line. There are no known American or English Kidd lines who would descend from him, and he certainly wasn't Dutch or Huguenot!

Re: True origins of Captain William Kidd

Posted: 24 Feb 2005 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: KiDD
thankyou for the true story.. finally... I don't think I'm related..
just heresay.

Kidd (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2005 12:59PM GMT
Thanks for the book reference. I will have to read it.

You quote: " William Kidd was born 22 January 1654 in Dundee, Scotland. His father, a sea captain, died when he was 5"
Dundee is about 70 miles from where our family originated. I wonder if there were any other children of that marriage.
The ancestor who traced our origins to Captain Kidd and before might just have meant that he had found a connection, rather than that he was a direct descendant. It is not impossible that Captain Kidd's father had Dutch origins.
Does the book cast any light on the earlier ancestry?

Posted: 12 Dec 2008 5:43AM GMT
Surnames: kidd
I think you are probably on to something. Books are only as good as the researcher who wrote it. I am interested in finding if Captain William Kidd had brothers.

Posted: 12 Dec 2008 7:09PM GMT
A few other things I remember that were passed down from my grandmother Kidd:

The purported Dutch origins of Captain Kidd's ancestors were supposed to be from a galleon slave from the Spanish Armada who was sunk and washed ashore in Holland. He was a Moore from Morocco with red hair. The spaniards called him "El Cid". But the Dutch came to call him "Kydde" which was prounounced just like "Quaeda" as in "Al Quaeda", so that may be a clue to his earlier Arab origins.

Posted: 30 Dec 2008 7:21AM GMT
Apparently you are all to quick to want to be decendants of Captain William Kidd...is it because of the aroma of his life...I would like to remind you all that a pirates life was not that of a great state men...

The Kidd blood line runs strong to my family tree...pirate just don't sleep with one woman...Captain Kidd has been with native American woman and one of stolen slave...my family has trace our native American blood line back to Mr. Kidd...my Grand mother was named Barbara Kidd after an earlier relative...

yes Captain Kidd has brothers..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic