Search for content in message boards

surname Bell

surname Bell

Posted: 10 Jan 2009 3:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bell
My mothers surname was Bell, my grandfather was Isaac Bell, My g-grandfather was Benjamin Bell, gg was Isaac, It continues back from Benjamin to Isaac until abt 1716. I do remember my mother telling me about a Jewish background, unfortunatly she has passed, and any info has gone with her. There is no family members still living, that I know of. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: surname Bell

Posted: 10 Jan 2009 3:49PM GMT
Surnames: Bell
re: Bell, our family name Bell is from the Northumberland area, in England. I believe they were from a town called Stakeford.

Posted: 12 Jan 2009 11:23PM GMT
i think the name was changed to bell
my family Bell from Me had an entirely different name beginning with a W!

Posted: 13 Jan 2009 12:42AM GMT
Do you mean Wbell? Sorry, but I really am very ignorant when it comes to Jewish names. I really dont know what side of her family she meant. I have been checking out census records and BMD records while researching my family tree. I suddenly remembered what my mother had said about a Jewish background. It made me curious.

Posted: 19 Feb 2009 2:18AM GMT
Weel, my dad name was "Herman Bell" as far I know we're sephardic jewish!

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 11:31AM GMT
"Bell" was a given surname just like Smith. It was the title of an occupation or living area in the village.

There are many different families and origins of the name "Bell", so ours might not be the exact same, given that these were not family names but given names.

My Family's old name was Z'ev (which is actually a first name in Hebrew, but was a popular surname back then) which came from Ashkenazi Jews. The translation of the name into english is "Wolf"

This may be what you are talking about with the other Jewish name starting with a "W".

And if she was talking about Jewish roots she probably meant her mother's side.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic