Search for content in message boards

Early Latah County newspapers

Early Latah County newspapers

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 8:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
What is the best place to find microfilm or copies of early Latah County newspapers? I understand the Moscow Library has very limited resources. Does the University of Idaho have the early papers or are they elsewhere, i.e. Idaho State Library?
Any info appreciated. I'm trying to locate a circa 1911 obit.
John McCartney, Seattle

Re: Early Latah County newspapers

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 10:45PM GMT
The University of Idaho Library and the Idaho State Historical Library and Archives have pretty much identical holdings of Idaho newspapers on microfilm. The problem at the U of I last time I was there was that they only had one usable reader/printer. The Historical Library has numerous readers, printers, and scanners. They will also do lookups and copies of obits for a fee - see their website. Or, there are a number of people who volunteer to do this sort of lookups. The old Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness site has gone away, but there are four or five other sites using more or less the same concept.
John

Posted: 21 Aug 2013 12:42AM GMT
John,
Thank you for your reply. I've contacted the Archives. I don't make it over to Idaho very often.
John

Posted: 18 Oct 2013 2:52AM GMT
What town did the person who died in 1911 live in? There were several small town newspapers printed. Occasionally the Spokesman Review posted info about small towns in Idaho. What is the name of the person you are looking for? I occasionally run onto old newspapers as I do research. I will add the name and contact you in the future if I find anything. You can order microfilm from the LDS website and have it shipped to the nearest LDS center where you might review the microfilm.

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 2:53AM GMT
Bev,
I'm looking for the obit of my g grandmother Nicholena (Larson) Peterson, b: 08 Aug 1846 in Norway d: 14 Aug 1911 in Moscow, Latah, Idaho. A volunteer, Renee, who I think lives in the Moscow area, has been looking for it but no luck so far. I think she said a key paper is missing.
While Lena's kids went on to be teachers, lawyers and judges, at the time of her death she was the widow of a small pioneer farmer. Her findagrave is here:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=22...
John

Posted: 24 Oct 2013 12:04PM GMT
Unfortunately I also did not find an obit for Nicholena however, I did find an obit for Theresa Wren. You might review a small town newspaper "The Genessee News" as this paper often covered some Thorn Creek folks. Obit for Theresa was in the Lewiston Morning Tribune, 23 Jan 1929.
Bev
Attachments:

Posted: 25 Oct 2013 11:34PM GMT
Bev,
Thank you so much for the Theresa Wren obit. She was a great aunt and I hadn't seen it before. It rather looks like Lena Peterson's obit is not to be found in Moscow. Are there any other repositories you can think of that might still have it?
My interest is that a researcher in Europe has found a Necoline Larsdaughter, who left Norway for Chicago at just the right time to be her. Same age and Necoline married my g grandfather in Chicago. The Larsdaughter girl had been a seamstress servant in Norway.
John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic